Windows 10 [2014 - 2017]

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have both upgraded and zero issues so far. The one issue my wife had with PC not waking from keyboard turned out to be a BIOS setting, and it took me a while to find the BIOS :p. Really happy so far. My work laptop (HP) with Win 8.1 is a bit less stable, but that has almost exclusively been due to AMD videodriver (2014 driver that was installed on it crashed when hooking up a Displayport second screen, and after upgrading one day the driver just stopped working and I had to reinstall it.

For the people having problems, are you on an upgraded install, or a fresh install? I've been on a fresh install since the weekend after it launched and haven't had any problems at all with it.

Mines upgraded so that could be the source of the issues. I usually prefer a fresh build but couldn't be bothered with the hassle this time, especially with it all being digital download.

It's not crazy unstable, but every so often (literally only 2-3 times since I upgraded about 6 weeks ago) Windows explorer seems to freeze up which means I have no access to the start menu. Also the desktop background picture keeps disappearing and going to a blank colour. That one may have cleared up recently though. I did have an issue when trying to get Project64 running in that it would keep crashing the PC on any settings I used - not just application crashes like in W7 but literally BSOD every time. That's definitely more unstable than W7 which I don't think I ever managed to BSOD.

Display scaling in the NVCP is also missing since the upgrade but that's more of an Nvidia issue which I believe is also a problem on W8 (with certain monitors like mine). It's a pita though since it means I can't run games easily in 21:9 fov on my 16:9 monitor anymore.

Comparing 10 to Winme? o_O
Windows ME was mostly a skin of windows 98 with a few new things like IE and WMP and quicker booting, to coincide with win2k I think, while even buggier than windows 98.
Windows 10 for me hasn't been any where near as bad as Win ME and I upgraded from 8.1. I've had a few odd system crashes but nothing like mountains of BSOD like you got with Win ME. I think most of the crashes on windows 10 are similar to what happened with windows 8, buggy drivers, not the result of a flawed or fundamentally unstable OS.

Yeah I did an upgrade install on my Surface 3. Other than Windows 10 being a complete and utter piece of crap compared to Windows 8.1, it hasn't been buggy or unstable.

Regards,
SB

I too have experienced no specific stability issues with Win10 and cannot agree with the comparison to anything related to WinME. Three of my four installations are upgrades from either Win 7 or Win 8.1, the last install was an Insider Preview that was "upgraded" through the various pre-release versions and then finally updated to final. It's surely not as clean as a fully fresh install, but also less polluted than a previous OS upgrade.

I recall Vista being linked to WinME, and I recall Win8 being linked to WinME. Basically, every time someone wants to hate on the newest Windows OS, you must drag out the dead-horse-ghost of WinME. It's like the Godwin's Law of Windows operating systems.

Now, usability complaints? Yeah, Win10 has some.

Win9x is inherently unstable and breakable. No NT 5+ release has ever been like those OSs.

Last edited:
Fresh install, far better than win 8.1. no problems apart from booting the thing

A/ 30% of the time, boots into OS in about 15 seconds
B/ 5% BSOD, sometimes I can hit a key, usually though usually I have to hit reset button
C/ 65% purple startup screen for 5 minutes, with the wait circle spinning, eventually I get the option to 'select OS', which have to click even though I have it set to select option 1 in 5 seconds

I can't understand it, you would think it would do either A,B,C all the time, it literally is rolling a dice about which one its going to do, I've once rebooted 10x in a row as an experiment. And in total have perhaps rebooted 200x since I installed win 10

another issue (though not major) maybe once every couple of days, I can't do anything for a couple of minutes, I can move cursor around and thats it, I can't go into task manager to see what the hell is clogging up the system

Windows ME was mostly a skin of windows 98 with a few new things like IE and WMP and quicker booting
And system restore too. And hugely buggy; an install on my PC didn't last more than a few months until it completely succumbed to windows rot; "system resources" (you know, those finite bits of memory that kept track of certain variables and whatnot, UI widgets and such in win3.x/9x) started getting consumed at a greater and greater rate even after a cold boot. Eventually, so little "resources" remained that you couldn't open a single window or do anything. The OS would complain it was out of resources basically as soon as you booted up, and then typically crash and burn. All you could do was format and re-install.

Basically, every time someone wants to hate on the newest Windows OS, you must drag out the dead-horse-ghost of WinME. It's like the Godwin's Law of Windows operating systems.
It was deserved though. WinME was utter shite. It even bluescreened during its introduction presentation for frig's sakes... :LOL:

It was deserved though. WinME was utter shite. It even bluescreened during its introduction presentation for frig's sakes... :LOL:
I can't disagree, just like nobody is here to defend Adolf. I was more poking at the Godwin's Law part, where it seems like that bastard gets dragged into the dumbest shit on the internet. Want to tell us why MacOS is better? Bring up WinME! Want to put down all the SexBox fanbois? Bring up WinME. Want to talk about how Windows phones are destined for failure? Surely WinME has something to do with it.

WinME is undefendable (lol bad grammar) but it doesn't need to be compared to every-god(s)-damned thing on the planet either. :D

I do wonder that causes the odd issues some people have with windows 10, alike zed mentioned, if there is a certain hardware config it doesn't like.
Btw my Asus Xonar Dsx still doesn't have any windows 10 drivers, though the UNi ones work fine.

Grall did Windows ME do that to, because the one I recall is Windows 98 doing that while Bill Gates was showing off the plug n play support?

Mines upgraded so that could be the source of the issues. I usually prefer a fresh build but couldn't be bothered with the hassle this time, especially with it all being digital download.

It's not crazy unstable, but every so often (literally only 2-3 times since I upgraded about 6 weeks ago) Windows explorer seems to freeze up which means I have no access to the start menu. Also the desktop background picture keeps disappearing and going to a blank colour. That one may have cleared up recently though. I did have an issue when trying to get Project64 running in that it would keep crashing the PC on any settings I used - not just application crashes like in W7 but literally BSOD every time. That's definitely more unstable than W7 which I don't think I ever managed to BSOD.

Display scaling in the NVCP is also missing since the upgrade but that's more of an Nvidia issue which I believe is also a problem on W8 (with certain monitors like mine). It's a pita though since it means I can't run games easily in 21:9 fov on my 16:9 monitor anymore.

I had the same exact problem for the first time today, Explorer freezing, and the background going black.
Turn out one of my data drives was dying.

Edit: been having really bad luck with Seagate drives lately.

And system restore too. And hugely buggy; an install on my PC didn't last more than a few months until it completely succumbed to windows rot; "system resources" (you know, those finite bits of memory that kept track of certain variables and whatnot, UI widgets and such in win3.x/9x) started getting consumed at a greater and greater rate even after a cold boot. Eventually, so little "resources" remained that you couldn't open a single window or do anything. The OS would complain it was out of resources basically as soon as you booted up, and then typically crash and burn. All you could do was format and re-install.

I was an XP refuznik and ran 98SE instead, "resource" usage was the biggest problem at the end mainly with some "misbehaving" software that didn't care about it. But that was not as bad as what you describe : only weird missing patches of graphics when you ran such software.

E.g. Firefox 0.7 and 0.8 were buggy in that way, so I reverted to 0.6 and later Firefox 0.9 and 1.0 Preview had that fixed up. AMSN could trigger it (excellent MSN chat client that ran on everything even on Unix terminals (not linux)) and Steam.

I had the same exact problem for the first time today, Explorer freezing, and the background going black.
Turn out one of my data drives was dying.

Edit: been having really bad luck with Seagate drives lately.

eek! I hope that's not the case for me, I'm rubbish with backups!

But that was not as bad as what you describe
Actually, it was exactly as bad as I described, since that's what happened on my PC. Repeatedly. A clean install wouldn't FIX the problem, it would just push it back a short while, and then it would return. Gradually at first, and then accelerating more and more over the course of a couple weeks, and then that windows ME install was also completely shot. In the end you literally couldn't do anything without the OS putting up a notification it was out of system resources, and then a bluescreen typically followed.

I felt such relief upon switching to XP, it was like a literal stone taken off my back when I was finally rid of that PoS WinME. I never touched win9x again after that.

Win9x "system resources" were mysterious legacy awfulness. Though to be honest I'm not sure ME is as bad as is commonly thought. It has nice improvements over 98SE, and the broken parts can be fixed or disabled. No 9x OS is particularly stable or reliable anyway. Perhaps if you are extremely careful in hardware and software choices it can be made stable for some uses.

Last edited:
WinME was horrible. It consistently would BSOD during install on all 3 of my systems. I couldnt even get it installed. My systems were very typical for the time periodtoo, Intel MMX Cpu, Voodoo 3d addin cards, Matrox or S3 2d Gpu, soundblaster soundcards, and ide drives.

WinME was horrible. It consistently would BSOD during install on all 3 of my systems. I couldnt even get it installed. My systems were very typical for the time periodtoo, Intel MMX Cpu, Voodoo 3d addin cards, Matrox or S3 2d Gpu, soundblaster soundcards, and ide drives.
Might have been an ACPI problem. 98SE, ME and 2K have quirky ACPI and lots of motherboards also had ACPI bugs in their BIOS. More fun from those days.

Last edited:
Can we take discussion about possible problem you might have had on a 15 year old system to another thread?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back