Qualcomm SoC & ARMv8 custom core discussions

Side-by-side comparison for better laughs:

XMJyeJb.png

Sony Xperia Z5 uses dual heatpipes to control Snapdragon 810 furnace:
http://www.xperiablog.net/2015/09/04/xperia-z5-using-dual-heat-pipes-to-control-thermal-performance/

Interesting, interesting. I've been wondering if Apple would ever do something like that; for example, there's a spot on the side of my iPad which gets quite warm when it's working hard, but so far there doesn't really seem like there's been a need for that. iThings do throttle, but it's nothing really serious, not compared to the 810 anyway, which allegedly makes 4k video recording in the Z4 shut down within minutes due to overheating...

not compared to the 810 anyway, which allegedly makes 4k video recording in the Z4 shut down within minutes due to overheating...
Really? Doesn't it have dedicated video HW?! I don't know the figures for 4k, but standard HD [EDIT]decoding[/EDIT] on IMG hardware uses relatively little power. Even back in 2012 it was only around 12mW.

[re edit: Had forgotten the referenced slides said decoding not encoding!]

Last edited:
Oops. Failed memory! I do apologise, but it was a few years ago!

Having said that, I don't think the increase in power consumption for HW encode is that large. I'll see if I can find a reference.

Maybe it does H.265 encode? I hear that is considerably rougher on computing resources.

Back