AMD R9 Nano official specs (and later, reviews)

Fiji has far more texture units than any other processor, so there is more trying to be active at once on a pure texture test than any other processor. Conversely, Fiji has the same quantity of RBE's as a Hawaii, but with additional elements that would save overall processing power (i.e. both delta colour compression and a more efficient memory PHY).

Damien compared GM200 to Fiji at 185W: http://www.hardware.fr/articles/942-23/fiji-vs-gm200-185w.html

GM200 comes out ahead, but not by as much as you'd think. I wonder whether it's because Fiji was pushed far beyond its optimal operating frequency in the Fury X, or because AMD's DVFS is better than NVIDIA's at minimizing power and maximizing performance in tightly constrained power budgets.
There was an unfortunate error in my excel sheet for the match at 185W. While the individual results were all corrects, the averages were not processed correctly which should have been obvious when looking at those graphs but as usual there was some rush involved to get that review out hehe Anyway those numbers are now fixed and are up for the GTX Titan X at 185W.

It seems that GCN's power consumption problems are all due to texturing.

Look at the performance of Nano in the 3DMark Vantage Texel fillrate test:

http://anandtech.com/show/9621/the-amd-radeon-r9-nano-review/14

[...]
By contrast, pixel fillrate doesn't show any power-throttling effect on Nano.
3DMark Vantage's shader math test or perlin noise should also be power limited on most cards. Idk how texture heavy that one might be - contrary to intuition, but Futuremark has some feature tests that do not exactly test what their names imply.

(Cross-post from the R9 3xx thread.. I though it would fit better here, sorry..)

R9 Nano gets a MSRP cut to $499:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9938/amd-cuts-price-of-radeon-r9-nano-to-499

So the card is now on the same price and power consumption levels as the vanilla GTX 980, although it's much smaller.

There's no doubt that the Nano is poised to be a formidable competitor to the 980.

However, they aren't quite there with price yet. Today, the 980 is dipping below $480, but the Nano is just over $500.

However, the 980 will dip well under $450 pretty frequently, especially in the last two months.

While it's definitely early and the Nano could start plunging under $500 from time to time, I think it might take a while. The Fury has been pegged at $500 for a while now, and yet it's still floating just above $500 (not unlike today's Nano). Price histories seem to show that the Fury occasionally dips a couple dollars under $500, but nothing like the 980's history.

So for someone that tries to buy a GPU (or any tech part) at a historical low price (or close), the Nano will probably be roughly $50 more than the 980 for the time being. It's pretty damn competitive even at that deficit, but it's evident that the two are not priced equally.

I impulse purchased a Nano yesterday as it's going for 399€ with Far Cry Primal here and I can deduct the VAT also. I should be able to sell my 980 with a decent price still. Can't wait to do some undervolting with this puppy.

Last edited:
For 399 I'd be more than tempted. Unfortunately, cheapest was ~450 for a couple of hours (which I missed) and now it's back to 490-ish. Euro. Makes me sadpanda.

I think the Nano will be a card that ages brilliantly.
I would probably lose performance if I switched my pair of 290X for a couple of Nanos, but I would do so gladly.

Back