Self-inflicted AMD PR Drama [Nano Fury Edition]

Do you guys even bother to read? Madyasiwi posted what the guy was commissioned to by AMD in a forum post on the previous page...

https://forum.beyond3d.com/posts/1871162/

He was commissioned by AMD to make a custom case, something many companies do. He wasn't commissioned to write an un-official review. His posting of the performance was his own experience with the card...as anyone would do whether they bought the card or not.

I was sloppy and skimmed the block quote.
The sponsored case project does not provide evidence of the user (Elmy) being directed to market the product to that forum, so I am unsure if I should have speculated on the possibility of him purposefully doing an end-run around the site.
The obvious antipathy at HardOCP towards AMD due to the snub may have figured into the inference being drawn that it was part of a marketing scheme, since Elmy's project and card were posted as part of the leadup to the launch on overclock.net, and pictures were floating around during the pre-launch buildup.

The resources dedicated to generating buzz through informal marketing (knowing who to give things to in order to seed an outcome) might not be the same as the ones deciding which sites to snub, so one interpretation is that one hand does not know what the other is doing in the marketing department.

Still, if there were no questions as to HardOCP's willingness to be fair in AMD's estimation before this(maybe?), there could be now.
Not working to smooth that over has a tendency to make the suspicion of such a self-fulfilling prophecy.

It's marketing content when AMD sends a Nano for free, before it's available in retail no less, to that forum user with the explicit request to post his experiences on that forum.
Ah, I did not know this. Most forums typically have rules against this sort of thing, and it's not something AMD should engage in either (paid semi-anonymous shilling), I think.

Anyway, Kyle is free to be as petty as he likes on his own site, as you say, but if you're to be taken seriously you should rather act professionally. I don't think Kyle is a professional, and therefore I no longer visit his website either. Haven't for years and years actually. I can only guess he has found his own brand of clientele who value pettyness however, so more power to him I say... *shrug*

OT about Kyle: Met him in November 2001 during Comdex in Las Vegas and already though that he was kind of a ass back then. I remember going to a drag race event at the Las Vegas Motor Speedway organized by AMD. Was fun but Kyle was extra annoying in the bus that took us (the press) there, speaking loudly during the whole trip acting like he knew it all.

Now back on Topic:

AMD's PR has been abysmal for a while now and this whole drama is nothing more than a continuation of the ongoing mess that the company is buried in right now.

Last edited:
Maybe he just realized his tweets did more harm than good.
You would think that a corporate vice president might have at least some rudimentary understanding of cause and effect before he sets events in motion.
Given that he demonstrably shown a lack of understanding, it might not be a given that he initiated the shut down of the account. Maybe someone further up the food chain sat him down and explained the facts of business life.

Back