Apple A9 SoC

With two channels you could have more memory pages open at any one time. Also, CPUs aren't the only memory users in these unified memory systems, there's graphics, sound, cameras, I/O, wireless networking and so forth, so having two independent memory channels would result in less contention overall I would think.

Yea i had read that article previously , i thought the whole idea of a53s was to underclock them compared to a7s( obviously stll increasing performance due to higher IPC).Smart watches already contain snapdragon 400 with 4 a7s, i dont think 2 a53s clocked appropriately would not do the job.

OT
But, I was replying to your assertion that the A53 better suits the need of the Apple Watch than a ARM A7. The Apple S1 uses a single core processor, and WatchOS is 32-bit so the extra 64-bit silicon in the A53 is wasted. Perf/w of the A53 is worse than the A7, so higher IPC may not be any use if it causes overall power requirements to increase, in such a power constrained package. As the Apple Watch partially offloads processing to its companion iPhone , it kinda obviates the need for phone class SoC performance, just my 2 cents :)

WatchOS 2 supports entirely native apps (restricted by hardware limitations of course, such as need for iPhone's cellular modem for internet connection when no wifi is available, for example.) And whether wOS is 32-bit or not is entirely up to Apple's whims - undoubtedly at some point in the future it will migrate to 64-bit, just as other iOS devices have.

I only now read that they claim 360x times GPU performance in the Pro compared to the original iPad. 2 GFLOPs FP16 * 360 = 720 GFLOPs FP16. 8 clusters at over 700 MHz or 12 at 466? Do I get a cookie? :p

I wonder if using the pen (sorry, "pencil") will enable peek&pop on the ipad pro or not...

Maybe the next version will have full force touch (sorry, "3D touch") for the entire display. *shrug*

That's the deal with gadgets. They always gotta hold something back for next year, to make you wanna upgrade. :D

What is Peek and Pop?
https://www.apple.com/iphone-6s/3d-touch/

They are part of the new 3D Touch functions. For instance if you medium-press "Peek" on a link in an email in Mail, a mini-Safari overlay will open so you can preview that website. If you start pressing harder or you did a hard press to begin with, you activate "Pop" which brings up a full screen Safari instance to that link. There is then a shortcut at the top left to return to the calling app, in this case Mail. It's kind of a contextual fast-app switching/multitasking and of course works better with more RAM so things don't have to reload as you're switching back and forth.

Maybe the next version will have full force touch (sorry, "3D touch") for the entire display. *shrug*
it's not the entire display? how is the support area defined? just like the lower part of the screen for the thumb? I got the impression (by the presentation) it was for the entire display.

That's the deal with gadgets. They always gotta hold something back for next year, to make you wanna upgrade. :D
next is to give the display a texture that you can feel with your fingers. apple filed that patent at the same time as the multi-level touch patent, if I recall correctly.

it's not the entire display? how is the support area defined? just like the lower part of the screen for the thumb? I got the impression (by the presentation) it was for the entire display.

iPad Pro doesn't seem to support "3D Touch" though.

My bad... I just meant to say maybe it will support "3d touch" without having to use the pen. :) AFAIK, ipad pro's display doesn't support force sensitivity at all; only standard capacitive multitouch.

iPad Pro has additional display layers to support the stylus? Maybe they can't do both 3D Touch and Pencil support at the same time?

Haptic engine would have to be enormous in size to for the iPad pro. If you look at the size of the one in the MacBook Pro, the iPad pro would be enormous and that could be a reason why it's not implemented.

Back