The AMD Execution Thread [2007 - 2017]

Status
Not open for further replies.
The hardware ID of the rebrands changed, so I'd like to assume that Steam would not lump them together. If I remember (and if I'm granted time from the wife after kiddo is in bed ;) ) I'll poke around in the Steam hardware survey site tonight. Are other, prior rebrands from AMD and NV lumped in the same way? Can't think of one just at this moment, but I know both vendors have examples in the recent past.
Correct, the 300 series cards have their own hardware IDs. Though I don't know if Steam is IDing cards by hardware ID, or just reading what Windows and the device manager report.

Add-in board market decreased in Q2’15, AMD lost market share, while Nvidia gained share

http://www.jonpeddie.com/publications/add-in-board-report

AMD’s quarter-to-quarter total desktop AIB unit shipments decreased -33.3%.

Nvidia’s quarter-to-quarter unit shipments decreased -12.0% Nvidia continues to hold a dominant market share position at 81.9%.

AIBPR2.JPG

Discrete Market Share Chart by dbz

https://forum.beyond3d.com/threads/nvidia-shows-signs-of-strain.43294/page-164#post-1867887

emvQALG.png

Last edited:
Private equity to buy 20 per cent of AMD

Our well informed industry sources have told us that AMD is about to sell 20 percent of its stake to a private equity outfit called Silver Lake.

This could be AMD's big break as it will get the money that it desperately needs. AMD has been sinking under financial problems as its CPU roadmap is not that great and it is hard for AMD to compete with Nvidia in the mainstream and entry level graphics market.
Hopes are high that a super star CPU designer Jim Keller can put AMD roadmap back in order. He and his talented team have been working for a while on a brand new architecture codenamed Zen, but we don’t expect to see Zen for at least couple more quarters. On the graphics side, the company can compete in the higher end market but it doesn’t really had much new to offer in mainstream and entry level.

We also heard that AMD will do another round of restructuring that will be announced shortly. The company apparently has too many mouths to feed with too little an income.
http://www.fudzilla.com/news/processors/38694-private-equity-to-get-20-percent-of-amd

Did the acquisition of ATI help with the development of the GCN architecture?
Wondering if this came about because of the diverse shared resources, and so the new move could be a mix of good and bad (positive accelerated development in some ways but may lose some of the insight that created a forward looking architecture).
Cheers

The Good. This should allow the graphics division to be more focused and more agile on producing new graphics products.

The Bad (or good depending on how you look at it). This could make it easier for AMD to divest itself of the graphics division (unlikely). Or to divest itself of the CPU division (also unlikely). However, if fortunes continue to fall, it makes it easier for an interested buyer to make an offer for only the CPU or GPU division.

Regards,
SB

SB, you're right. In fact such a reorganization and GPU consolidation would be a prerequisite for any divestiture/split. Yes, any such split does not make business sense to us since the CPU and GPU are so synergistic (and core to APU), but we're not the ones in AMD's boardroom unhappily rereading revenue statements and debt calendars. Was it really pure coincidence that Silver Lake's purchase of a 20% stake in AMD was happened simultaneously with the GPU division consolidation?

A sign to watch out for: if Silver Lake puts one of its people on AMD's board.

Isn't this board seat pretty much guaranteed for anyone with that much stock? Surely anyone would like to have some influence over the company they've bought a fith of

what the lol, so the Fury won't be made because full Fiji chips yields are too good lol. Where are all the Fury X's then?

Nano are in stock now at newegg limited quantities.

Was it really pure coincidence that Silver Lake's purchase of a 20% stake in AMD was happened simultaneously with the GPU division consolidation?

Why are you posting as if Silver Lake purchased a 20% stake in AMD. That is only a rumor.

I'm not sure why AMD hasn't tried to get out of the wafer supply agreements. I don't remember the terms of the spin-off deal with GlobalFoundries, but I don't think they were originally supposed to be tied together in perpetuity. If AMD could simply rely on Samsung and TSMC, it would probably make things easier. Of course, this is just a Digitimes rumor, and they're known for sometimes being nothing but a mouthpiece for Taiwanese companies, TSMC in particular.

Might as well link to the source: http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20150910PD202.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back