None
UnMaskable
2 Samples
4 Samples
8 Samples

What is UnMaskable ?

I doubt shader aa in a game released in 1999

Edit: the game was later patched to support dx9 so it's possible
I found this (but dont really understand it)

Maskable samples just mean that the samples are "explicit" instead of implicit. And if maskable samples are supported, you can actually use a MASK to write ONLY to those samples (it's not possible for ALL AA modes that's why you need this to be supported explicitely).

The way it works is like this :
each pixel, the hardware computes a mask from the geometry (full mask if the pixel is inside the triangle, half the mask if the pixel is half insider the triangle and half outside the triangle). Then this mask is ANDed with the mask that you specified as a render state. If you selected the 4X_Maskable that means that the mask contains exactly 4 bits. That way you can redirect rendering to only one fourth of the final samples.

Last edited:
In AA aren't the subsample positions defined by something called the sample mask? (don't remember the name proper) If so maybe unmaskable is indeed either post process or maybe orthogonal super sampling? Did you do any benches to get a feel for the performance drop? Maybe that'll give you a hint.

just a quick look at the framerate (very rough numbers)
no aa = 1200 fps
multisample type unmaskable, multisample quality 7 = 600 fps
multisample type 4 samples, multisample quality 7 = 800fps
there is a multisample type 8 samples but quality only goes up to 4 so i didnt test

I have no idea how to interpret these numbers other than the obvious 4samples hits the hardware harder

Back