DX12 Performance Discussion And Analysis Thread

Thx Jawed, good read, I would like to see more about Maxwell 2 async wrap schedulers in comparison, there is very little information on them.

lol that's a lot to read, was hoping for something simpler with nice big pictures and letters :) Good stuff though, guess its time read up thx pharma. Was trying to avoid reading all that hehe

Ok, looks like now AMD cards can run it, but some gfx issues and crashes still remains when playing with settings and debugs... I will try it asap on Haswell...

Note also that I am sure it is not to mean for benchmarks usage :p

Something something https://github.com/Microsoft/DirectX-Graphics-Samples/tree/feature_miniengine

Let's see if current GCN drivers are capable to run it without issues...

I cloned the GIT repo, built it using VS2015 + Win10SDK and ran perfectly on my R9 2XX card (with latest catalyst driver)

note: You need to run the VS solution in "Admin" mode due to the realtime GPU/CPU tracing it does ...

The demo is a simple model renderer that uses the MiniEngine apparently ..

Yes, it needs to be compiled and the default platform is VS2015, but it should compile even with older compilers like VS2012..

Of course it's not a killer application, it is meant to be an example how to build a d3d12 engine with a good set of shaders and post-processing filters

It'll be interesting to see how Ark performs.

It's a DX11 engine with DX12 added to it. So AMD cards shouldn't see the same dramatic performance increase as the Ashes alpha test (DX12 engine with a DX11 rendering path) I'd imagine.

It might give a good insight of what could be possible if developers spent the time to add DX12 support to their DX11 engine games. This also being a console game, means they can likely leverage some of their console optimizations as well.

Too bad the patch got delayed.

Regards,
SB

Last edited:
I think Ashes engine has DX11, DX12, Mantle, and Vulkan api ... it's in a class of it's own!
Looking forward to the only true DX12 api game on the horizon ... Fable Legends.
http://www.pcgameshardware.de/Direc...ste-Uebersicht-Ark-DayZ-Star-Citizen-1164994/

The point was that the Ashes engine was designed for DX 12/Mantle/Vulkan and then made to work in DX 11. Versus an engine designed for DX 11/10 and then made to work with DX 12. In the first case you should get more efficient use of DX 12.

There is of course, a difference in focus for the games. Ashes has a massive focus on lots of units + lots of AI. It'll put different stress on the hardware. Ark is more traditional in that sense and will probably be closer to what we should expect from current generation games potentially getting a DX12 patch. So if the Witcher 3 gets a DX12 Enhanced Edition patch, for example.

Regards,
SB

hmm everything from cuda developer toolkit says otherwise for Maxwell 2 not having async shaders :cry:

I think it would have been better if he didn't say anything lol

Back