Quantum Break [XO] (by Remedy) *large images*

Some sort of TAA, ghosting is pretty evident in the footage shown so far.

Did they just give away the game resolution or is it just the resolution for that particular effect?

5VSxxu4.png

Anyways if 720P that is what I expected, game looks too crazy good. And the style already works well with softness so they may as well take advantage I guess.

While of course I would prefer 1080P, I kind of like it. I like it, trying to push 720P, like Carmack used to always talk about somebody ought to try to push 480P on last gen consoles. At 720P XBO will have significantly more shading grunt per pixel to bring to bear than PS4 at 1080P. And 720P wont be as naturally ugly as 480P to begin with (and next gen the discussion can be 1080P vs 4k).

Last edited:
720p? Really? Hmmm...

On one hand, I'm surprised that resolution is still showing its face two years into the generation. On the other hand, this is Remedy after all and while Alan Wake did look pretty good, it did run at one of the lowest resolutions of last-gen (960x540).

Maybe I'll play this on my prehistoric 42" 720p Hitachi plasma just for 1:1 pixel mapping. Can't imagine the horror on a 65" 1080p set.
But still I don't think the visual good it may be, warrants the severe res butchering.

I was listening to the VideoGamer.com podcast yesterday (it may have been last week's podcast) and they mentioned that after each chapter of the game you get a 22 minute Quantum Break 'TV' episode before the next game chapter, which is definitely news to me. The gameplay elements deal with the heroes and the TV episodes deal with the villains.

Interesting premise.

Is it possible the opaque geometry buffer is rendered at 1080p aside from the 720p buffers for SSAO and lighting? Remedy is a bit fishy in telling us the res if I recall Alan Wake, they claimed 720p first but then got found out it's actually 540p.

From the notes on AO "Our final image is 1080p but screen-space lighting is evaluated at 1280x720."

Seems like an odd choice. Wouldn't the lighting end up producing aliasing?

From the notes on AO "Our final image is 1080p but screen-space lighting is evaluated at 1280x720."

Seems like an odd choice. Wouldn't the lighting end up producing aliasing?

Volition's Inferred Lighting also used a mixed resolution shading/lighting. They did some wacky things to reduce the aliasing issues, but it's been a while since I read the paper/presentation.

http://www.slideshare.net/ozlael/inferred-lighting-4950586

http://www.gdcvault.com/play/1014525/Lighting-the-Apocalypse-Rendering-Techniques
http://www.gdcvault.com/play/1014526/Lighting-the-Apocalypse-Rendering-Techniques

http://twvideo01.ubm-us.net/o1/vault/gdc2012/slides/Programming Track/Kircher_Lighting_and_Simplifying_Saints_Row_The_Third.pdf

hm...............................................................................................................................................................................................................

A.jpg

Stipple pattern, funny edge pixels..... Light pre-pass.

er... anyways.

Last edited:
720p is really low imo.

Are there plans for a PC port similar to AW?

From slide 71 like Sunset Overdrive Insomniac presentation where they said not using AVX because it is not available for all x86 CPU

Possibly the easiest approach would have been to use volume textures or the newly available sparse texture support on the GPUs.

However, our index based compression ruled out volume textures and we didn’t want to commit to a GPU-feature which might not be available

Maybe an indication for a PC port in one or two years

Volition's Inferred Lighting also used a mixed resolution shading/lighting. They did some wacky things to reduce the aliasing issues, but it's been a while since I read the paper/presentation.

I get having some screen effects at 1/4 resolution (not to suggest 720p is 1/4 resolution), because they're not necessarily present at all times. But screen-space lighting? That seems to include their AO, screen-space diffuse lighting and screen-space reflections. Not sure how much of the final image that would "touch" but it seems like a lot. GI may be higher resolution, because they call it "Large Scale" lighting. Their screen space + large scale = multi-scale, by their terminology.

Last edited:
Good catch.

I get having some screen effects at 1/4 resolution (not to suggest 720p is 1/4 resolution), because they're not necessarily present at all times. But screen-space lighting? That seems to include their AO, screen-space diffuse lighting and screen-space reflections. Not sure how much of the final image that would "touch" but it seems like a lot. GI may be higher resolution, because they call it "Large Scale" lighting. Their screen space + large scale = multi-scale, by their terminology.
Right. So assuming this is what they are doing, it's probably why the game does have a soft look to it, particularly the edges, while a full res material pass ought to help with texture LOD selection in the absence of AF..... maybe. idk.

It probably explains a lot in this image for example

image_quantum_break-29063-2722_0004.jpg

So that is why they opt for a heavy handed use of w/e TAA and they still don't get rid of aliasing. I am not sure i quite like this approach, i initially thought it was just heavy use of TAA. Still, about 8 months left in development, i really hope IQ gets a boost in these last few months.

Last edited:
It probably explains a lot in this image for example

So that is why they opt for a heavy handed use of w/e TAA and they still don't get rid of aliasing. I am not sure i quite like this approach, i initially thought it was just heavy use of TAA. Still, about 8 months left in development, i really hope IQ gets a boost in these last few months.
So in general if a game is running at say 1080p what is the usual resolution of SSO?
I don't know myself but this being 720p doesn't mean much to me as I know many different effects render at different resolutions.
So for all I know 720p may actually be pretty high for this.

Or possibly just a decision they made early-on before final hardware specs were available - remember that this was in the works well before launch (and going back and changing a data structure that's fundamental to your entire lighting pipeline is probably not something you do on a whim if your current solution is working well enough).

Back