NX Gamer Discusses Game Tech *spin* [2015 - 2017]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know someone working within a studio doing exclusive Sony game in Europe and he said AI was a problem on this title in 2010 or 2011. I don't remember the year...

Edit: And animate and render Trixo is not an easy task for PS3. It was very tense inside Sony Japan about TLG. People wanting Ueda to compromise his vision and it was tense between Becker (ex Santa Monica dev) in charge of Sony Japan restructuration and Ueda. This is the reason Ueda is freelance and not a Sony employee anymore...

I am glad Ueda didn't have to compromise. Japan studio has been crappy since Gravity Rush....

Well, they recently got heavily restructured after they brought in that dude from Santa Monica. I think kotaku or polygon wrote a big story about that.

Well, they recently got heavily restructured after they brought in that dude from Santa Monica. I think kotaku or polygon wrote a big story about that.

Yes and they said in the article they need 5 years to restructure Japan Studios... And I think we will soon be at the end of the restructuration. I think it begins in 2010 or maybe 2011...

I just want new Siren game and Gravity Rush 2, Toyama can do a better job than PT. SCEJ could have been restructured to be like Santa Monica studio which do a lot of collaboration with 3rd party and have like 1 or 2 main franchise going.

I just want new Siren game and Gravity Rush 2, Toyama can do a better job than PT. SCEJ could have been restructured to be like Santa Monica studio which do a lot of collaboration with 3rd party and have like 1 or 2 main franchise going.
Siren and Gravity Rush 2 on Ps4 only, would certainly be very nice thing.

xidVHYV.png

:mrgreen:

It seems they just keep releasing half-baked games, it's such a shame...but makes me really angry why something isn't done to stop them churning them out like this on a yearly basis.

Unless a corporate raider comes in and tries a management putsch by saying 'Ubisoft's executive team has destroyed shareholder value with their poor management of Ubisoft's valuable IP portfolio and failure to develop new IPs' then the margins and profits posted over the past few years will make Yves Guillemot and co argument for them.

We're at the inflection point I think for this game series, consumer backlash tends to lag in this industry with disappointing titles not suffering too much immediately from their lack of quality rather the opprobrium falls on the next game in the series 'Oh last years was boring I won't bother this year'. They haven't yet shown anything gameplay wise that makes me think 'Ooooo that's new' instead relying on a new traversal gimmick, where is the attempt to sell me on the story or promising some kind of narrative pay off for any of the no doubt hundreds of side missions? Watch Dogs was the last straw for Ubisofts brand of open world sprawl for me, none of the collect N objects, kill Y dudes, follow Z persons quests offered bugger all.

Back OT: Engine folks is it possible that this engine has a 'baked in' presumption of CPU power that was simply set too high as even with the apparent IQ tweaks we're not seeing much performance improvement here. In other words if an engine was designed for say a per cpu core 'power' of 100 and the shipping console is at 80 are there design choices that would mean that the engine could never scale down?

It seems they just keep releasing half-baked games, it's such a shame...but makes me really angry why something isn't done to stop them churning them out like this on a yearly basis.

The sales of Syndicate will be telling but I believe that there are a lot of people who hugely enjoy the Assassin's Creed games, even if they have some technical issues. The denizens of B3D are not remotely representative of your average gamer in terms of technical issues marring gameplay.

We can sit and complain that this game has tearing and that game has low AF but I see zero correlation between these issues in past games and actual sales.

Mostly what people want from a game is fun.

But in Unity's case, the performance did put quite a damper on the fun. At least initially it did. I couldn't care less about its 900p resolution myself, and in the end I was actually okay with its performance too (after all the patching, the game ran at a pretty solid 30fps on rooftops while barely ever dipping below 25 in heavy crowds. That's actually nowhere near as bad as the AC games often ran on the PS3) It was a stunning game regardless. The fact that I never ever felt like I was in control due to the laggy controller response was the real deal breaker. Entering a window really shouldn't be such a fiddly ordeal. The older games felt slicker and more playable despite their poor performance.
I also feel like the comparison to other annually franchises actually does the likes of CoD a disservice. Now those may come out just as frequently, but in terms polish and functionality they tend to be top notch year after year.

Assassin's Creed Syndicate will be good test for the Ubisoft. I was sure they'd ignore any problems with Unity, but in the end, they didn't and for example gave all the DLCs free for everyone. And that hurt financial side of the corporation for sure. To repeat Unity this year would be very bizarre choice.

I'm Assassin's Creed fan and open world fan in general, so I really need Ubisoft to stay in biz.

Whilst this is true it's not fun when you die due to a bug. The point is that things like this can be 'the thin end of the wedge' and before you know it no games are released fully working and running well - some getting patches along the way, some not.

It's like QC is totally out of the window and 'close enough is good enough' - where's the pride gone? I appreciate not every bug/issue can be resolved (especially in an open world game) but there's plenty of examples of similar games have much less issues - and issues that get resolved BEFORE working on a sequel!

If people keep buying it why should UBI change? Give the people what they want!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back