Windows 10 [2014 - 2017]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Flash is being phased out. Good riddance too. I don't have any issues so far, but haven't done much more than develop and browse, and I usually browse with Chrome anyway. Edge seems like a step in the right direction though.

aaaaaaaaaaaaagh windows just automatically updated again, eating bandwidth and crippling internet conection. But still no fix for Dolby Digital Live

I think flash is being used less and less at youtube
I for one usually dont watch any flash videos there, webm

Just moved to W10 via the upgrade, the most hasslefree one I ever encountered. Only X-Fi sound drivers needed to get installed manually (also changed my GPU drivers lately, but they work initially).
You guys also experienced how smooth games are running now, I run CF Fury X's and it's incredible how smooth things are! (new virtual memory thanks WDDM2?)

But one thing, does somebody knows what gooing one here?

http://enbseries.enbdev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4453

https://forums.geforce.com/default/...quest-remove-4gb-limit-of-vram-for-dx9-games/

Last edited:
guys, look at windows feedback app.

its a total mess. I wonder how the heck Microsoft can properly read the feedback...

No tagging, no commenting (i can comment week ago but now it seems disabled), no moderating to merge multiple problem/sugestion that is the same...

This has bothered me since I've installed win10, the slow startups. Its about 2x as slow as win8.1 (running on HDD) and win10 is on SSD, heres what happens

turn on PC
bios screen displayed for a second
blackness for 10-30 seconds
blue screen where I can select which OS (after a couple of seconds it defaults to win10,normally I don't touch it)
black screen, bios screen displayed for a second!!! wtf its like it reboots again
windows starts up in 10seconds ->5 minutes

previously with only win8.1 & linux installed, after the OS selection part, it would then load straight into the OS, i.e. no reboot

So whats up and more importantly how to fix it?

It sounds like you may have 2 OSs installed that have a different primary or boot partition configuration.

I get this extra black screen/BIOS cycle behaviour when I switch from one of my other operating systems to a BCD based OS (ie Vista+) that thinks it is on the C: drive. If there are any primary NTFS or FAT partitions before the system partition of that OS the boot loader hides those, marks the desired system partition active and then reboots to reread the partition table.

It doesn't happen if you force the OS install to be the D: or some other drive, which works perfectly alright but is a pain to get configured as you only get the option if you run Windows setup from inside another installed Windows and then chose a new installation. Not if you boot the installer from USB or CD or run an upgrade.

It sounds like you may have 2 OSs installed that have a different primary or boot partition configuration.
thanks mate, yes thats what I have,
without reinstalling windows again, how can I make it so the new win10 version loads in the most optimal way
the ssd is on sata1 should I just swap the cable over with sata0 (where hdd with my previous OS's on) I assume that will work? i.e. it doesnt need to read the MBR from sata0, surely changing boot order in the bios from sata0->1 to sata1->0 would have the same effect?

btw whilst my audio interface isnt 100% supported yet in drivers (stuck at 44.1k) in win10, my USB wifi works with win10, I could never get it working with win8.1 (linux was no problems)

Just swapping cables or switching boot order will likely lead to a non-booting system. Booting from installation media and using startup repair might be able to fix that.

But I'd just leave it as is. If Win10 is not your default use easybcd or bcdedit to set it as default. You should then only encounter the slow double boot sequence when you select another OS, and the next time you boot Win10 after that. Normal consecutive Win10 boots should be fast if it is the default. Assuming you boot grub from BCD and not vice versa.

Last edited:
Windows 10 jettisons SafeDisc and SecuROM, may phone home about cracked games

Two new bits of information have surfaced regarding Windows 10 and its various DRM and phone-home strategies. First, there’s news that looks great at first glance — Windows 10 no longer supports the much-hated SecuROM and SafeDisc. The downside of this news is that Windows 10 can no longer play those titles if the DRM hasn’t been patched out by the original developer.

On the other hand, however, this means a number of games, some released quite recently, will no longer work without new patches or game cracks. While SafeDisc hasn’t been used for several years, a number of games shipped with SecuROM, including titles like Fallout 3, Dragon Age II (EA attempted to camouflage this by calling it Sony Release Control), Oblivion, BioShock, the released version of Final Fantasy for PC in 2012, and dozens more over the years.

We therefore arrive at a hilarious moment in which Microsoft is advocating that people download game cracks for legally purchased content, chase developers for updates (despite the fact that many of the studios in question may have closed), or repurchase games on platforms like GOG, which don’t use DRM.
Classic gamers may choose to stick with Windows 7, assuming they don’t have a vintage DOS box or Windows 98 system hanging around, but this compatibility issue should’ve been disclosed prior to launch. As for whether or not MS intends to start scanning systems for pirated software, we’ll have to wait and see.

http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/2...nd-securom-may-phone-home-about-cracked-games

Where do you get the bit about "may phone home about cracked games"? The article says "As for whether or not MS intends to start scanning systems for pirated software, we’ll have to wait and see." That sure seems like the typical MS Clickbait / FUD campaigns.

The truth is it does not, so why even post rhetoric about possible changes that are no where within sight?

You may as well say "Apple may phone home with your sexting pics!" since that's equally as likely to happen.

Where do you get the bit about "may phone home about cracked games"?
The truth is it does not, so why even post rhetoric about possible changes that are no where within sight?
Agreed, but that's the title the website chose. It doesn't take much insight to figure out if DRM is "out" what alternatives are left for rightsholders? And since this OS is all about generating potential revenue from harvested data, why not offer a fee-based service to software manufacturers and provide targeted detailed product information from Win 10 devices. It would be a brilliant move for MS to eventually "milk both sides of the fence", and provide their solution to DRM management.

Oh come on Microsoft! Your latest update fiddle with audio stack again. Now my kinect microphone keep disappeared and reappeared when connected to USB 3.

It also destroyed the Dolby ac3 pass through again. Luckily i can fix it by re applying the audio option one by one. Dunno which option is the culprit.

Aaaaaand surprise, Dolbi Digital live and DTS interactive still broken for optical audio.

Has not tried output to HDMI audio. Hopefully they fixed it. (My PC detect the DVD player but the audio device did not detected on sounds)

@zed be careful with changing boot from BIOS. Last time I did that I need to manually rewrite the BCD thing :(

usually when windows fail to detect proper installation, 'startup repair' can repair it.

BTW what audio device you use?

I can't even safely buy soundcard because the only confirmed total working is Asus xonar and other generic Chinese with C+media chip.

Agreed, but that's the title the website chose. It doesn't take much insight to figure out if DRM is "out" what alternatives are left for rightsholders?
I think you misunderstand; DRM Is not "out", only a very specific, very archaic, and very security vulnerable method of DRM that nobody uses anymore is "out". Current, modern DRM implementations are still functioning as they should, example being pretty much every big-ticket game in your (or anyone else's) STEAM library.

I hope the fact that they're messing around with the Audio leaves hope that they'll also add USB Audio 2 support (or whatever it is called again that all platforms have that Windows doesn't which causes my Apogee MIC to not work with Windows though it works with everything else).

If you find the chance, please complain about that somewhere that Microsoft can see, so it moves up higher on the list!

Can't get a USB Audio Class 2 generic driver? Windows lack of support can sometimes remedied by a driver, e.g. a universal USB storage driver for Windows 98, a generic postscript printer driver for network printing under XP (I don't know about 7 etc.)

I found one but proprietary, "please contact us" and dickery on the demo version
http://www.thesycon.de/eng/usb_audiodriver.shtm

@zed be careful with changing boot from BIOS. Last time I did that I need to manually rewrite the BCD thing :(
usually when windows fail to detect proper installation, 'startup repair' can repair it.
I changed it over in bios, and it boots, though first time had to reboot 3x, got a BSOD (light blue now with a sad face smilie) yes got the startup repair twice, but it looks like its working now

BTW what audio device you use?

I can't even safely buy soundcard because the only confirmed total working is Asus xonar and other generic Chinese with C+media chip.
Im using this, with win 8 drivers, it plays sound no worries, recording atm is limited to 44.1k / 24 which I can live with & Im sure win 10 drivers will turn up before the year is out
Steinberg-ur44-630-80.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back