Rys

Graphics @ AMD
Veteran
Supporter
Hard to know which part of the forum to post this, since it's so far-reaching potentially:

https://abc.xyz/

Google is no longer Google. From the looks of it, Android and YouTube are still part of the new Google, but I wouldn't bet on that being the case for too long.

It's certainly unexpected. Who knows where it'll lead - or in the months and years to come, if it will even turn out to be a beneficial decision.

Google execs have had a less than stellar ability in that regard, with the unwise killing of several popular products (like reader, which I never used, but was very well-liked from what I've heard), and the forced attempt to turn G+ into a real, actual thing, for example.

But above all, market disruption! Or isn't that how it goes? ;) It's going to be interesting to see what might come out of this once the new corporate structure crystalizes.

The creation of a holding company with siloed companies has a few notable examples, like GE.
Given that this is tech and Google has appliances, devices, and networks, could this be a try at an American Samsung?

When I heard about this, I immediately thought of Samsung as well. The decision seems sensible. After all, a single management team whose bread and butter is advertising may not be capable of appropriately committing to self-driving cars, robots, connected appliances, etc.

Bearing in mind it's Google (or was), also look out for any sort of new corporate structure which can help them avoid paying as much tax as possible. "Don't be evil", my arse. ;)

Not really related to this corporate restructuring (though it made my GOOG holding go up nicely yesterday) but I saw a report that Google execs, including Schmidt, were in Cuba twice in the last year.

They're offering to connect the country to the Internet for a low price or even free but the Cuban leadership is wary, doesn't want the revolution undermined by evil capitalists.

Instead, they've allowed Huawei to wire up some hotspots around Havana, where it costs over a couple of bucks an hour to connect. The Cubans propose connecting only a couple of hundred thousand households by 2017, using Huawei equipment.

They must want Huawei because of the backdoors.

So, did any of you see this coy little jab?

http://abc.wtf

I absolutely swear the URL is 100% safe for work, wife, kids, whatever. Nicely played, in my opinion...

I'm sure you're trolling me :D but I can't help but fall for the bait anyway: the jab was the WTF instead of XYZ as the URL suffix. As in, Microsoft is giving the "WTF, seriously?" treatment to the new Alphabet URL.

Ok, well, I still found it funny :D

Ok, well, I still found it funny
It is pretty good :LOL:, Though I suppose they could reply with this joke :(

turn of the century, market worth
Microsoft: $601 billion
Apple: $4 billion
Google: sweet fuck all

Today, market worth
Apple: $647 billion
Google: $463 billion
Microsoft: $371 billion

but seriously I wish they would get rid of url domain names suffixs, recently some new ones came up .sucks etc ($1000 a pop or something), there are hundreds now
I've got zedzeek.com (I could get zedzeek.net .org .co.nz .wtf .sucks etc) but I (and I suppose everyone except the dudes selling domain names) would prefer just a www.zedzeek

So, did any of you see this coy little jab?

http://abc.wtf

I absolutely swear the URL is 100% safe for work, wife, kids, whatever. Nicely played, in my opinion...
I don't think it was setup by Microsoft though. A quick whois shows it to be, I think, someone independent.

You know, I didn't even think to do that. DeskConnect.inc has an interesting taste in domain names, it appears :)

Bearing in mind it's Google (or was), also look out for any sort of new corporate structure which can help them avoid paying as much tax as possible. "Don't be evil", my arse. ;)
I would consider that to be a virtue ... the less money goes in taxes the better the societies end up.

I would consider that to be a virtue ... the less money goes in taxes the better the societies end up.

Neo-liberal codswallop.

Even if you think taxes for individuals are bad, corporations which benefit from government expenditure in the countries in which they operate yet avoid paying a fair share of taxes are little more than parasites.

Here in the UK, for example, Amazon make sales over more than £5 billion per year. Due to a deliberately artificial business structure and arrangements with tax havens, they pay less than £5 million in taxes per year. UK Corporation tax rate is currently at 20%. I think it's safe to say that Amazon make more than £25 million in profit from their £5 billion of turnover and they benefit enormously from the infrastructure and healthcare paid for by our government (and indirectly, the British taxpayer) without paying for any of it.

Google, Apple, eBay, Amazon - they are all the same. I long for the day when major governments get together and legislate to stop these crooked and anti-competitive practices.

Some might argue that corporate tax is not the right way to do it. Of course, this is getting political and probably better discussed in a separate thread.

Meh. Too many governments (including the UK one) are already in a race to the bottom in corporate tax rates in an attempt to attract big business. You're right that it's not the correct thread to discuss it, however!

Neo-liberal codswallop.

Even if you think taxes for individuals are bad, corporations which benefit from government expenditure in the countries in which they operate yet avoid paying a fair share of taxes are little more than parasites.

Here in the UK, for example, Amazon make sales over more than £5 billion per year. Due to a deliberately artificial business structure and arrangements with tax havens, they pay less than £5 million in taxes per year. UK Corporation tax rate is currently at 20%. I think it's safe to say that Amazon make more than £25 million in profit from their £5 billion of turnover and they benefit enormously from the infrastructure and healthcare paid for by our government (and indirectly, the British taxpayer) without paying for any of it.

Google, Apple, eBay, Amazon - they are all the same. I long for the day when major governments get together and legislate to stop these crooked and anti-competitive practices.

So ?
Paying their fair share of what ?

Major governments can legislate to their heart content anything they want , including cure for cancer and other serious ailments and overall happiness .. .unless there is Amazon or Google or thousands of others around ... nothing will happen.

Maybe I'm a cynic, but I see the restructuring as having two purposes:

1. Mitigate the effects of anti competitive investigations. Breaking Google up into a conglomorate of individual units makes it much harder to target by state investigations. Damages dealt are limited to an individual sub-unit. Also you can't break up a company that is already broken up.
2. Dodging taxes. Individual units will move profits around to minimize taxes paid. Artificially setting price of services to facilitate this.

Cheers

Yeah they hired a CFO from Wall Street a few months ago.

So right after they announced this, Google stock went up.

Back