AF quality of an upcoming card - what do you think?

digitalwanderer said:
Dang it Parhelia, how did you manage to get that? More important, how do you like it? (General impressions, I figure you can't say anything specific but mebbe some ancedotal stuff? )

Specs : AMD AthlonXP 1600+, ECS K7S5A, 384MB DDR2100, XGI Volari V8 Ultra (SINGLE CHIP version)

Not the new drivers, but some internal set (if you must know, it's
XGI Reactor V1.01.01-test04)

-Trilinear seems to be working fine
-AF still doesn't seem to be working
-Also, AA performance seems to have gotten better:

UT 2003 Demo - benchmark mode:
Flyby: 117.64 fps
Botmatch: 47,72 fps
Using the command stat fps: ~70 fps in the game
With FSAA2x: ~55 to 60 fps

Firestarter Demo :
Game Benchmark - FPS Average = 170.61
Fast Bench - FPS Average = 124.93
With FSAA 2x - Fast Bench FPS Average = 108.75

X2-The Threat : 30.876 fps in high detail (everything enabled, including shadows)

Aquamark 3 - With the V8Ultra:
AquaMark Score: 25502

3DMARK 2003 : 2455 3D Marks, which is higher than with the Reactors 1.00.00
Using the Futuremark online tests, this score is on par with the 9600 with similar specs...

btw, that's the Volari V8 Ultra score, i.e. single chip card

the new driver supports full trilinear (as opposed to partial trilinear of some manufacturers), so the image quality is superior than last time.

parhelia said:
the new driver supports full trilinear (as opposed to partial trilinear of some manufacturers), so the image quality is superior than last time.
Is it comparable to the other big two IHVs?

digitalwanderer said:
parhelia said:
Is it comparable to the other big two IHVs?

I would guess no. Even with trilinear they still have their less quality mipmap LOD and i would also not be surprised if their 2xFSAA on the 1 chip card isn't 2xFSAA at all but just a blur filter.

parhelia said:
Not the new drivers, but some internal set (if you must know, it's
XGI Reactor V1.01.01-test04)
Maybe a little OT but... Parhelia, as you have a Volari at your disposition, can you please try to run one of the Demo of the Shaders Competition that don't run on a FX card (like, for example, Shadery)?
Just to know what "level of DX9 support" they are sporting...

Thx,
Bye!

shaderey ran without problem though framerate varies from 4 fps to 30fps
(AMD AthlonXP 1600+, ECS K7S5A, 384MB DDR2100, XGI Volari V8 Ultra SINGLE CHIP version)

parhelia said:
What do you guys think of the image quality of the following screenshots?
It's from a new hardware

AF 1x :
AF1x.jpg
Something is very wrong... Why are they only showing 6 mipmaps? I see 9 on my R350 and very little moire.

Good point ! I hadn't noticed the reduced mipmap number.

They use a +1.0 lod and only 6 mipmaps. The 6th one is used instead of the mipmap levels >6. Result : moire -> pixel popping in games.

They seem to emulate AF by tweaking the lod.

Back