Windows 10 [2014 - 2017]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ye olde Xboxes beat WP to the punch on voice control, and to your point supports a comparatively limited set of capabilities.

Despite all the reasons, "Cloud is the future." One of these dumb days, we're all going to get stuck with compute as a commodity that you purchase not unlike TV. Buy an appliance, plug it into your available service provider, pay your monthly fee for the content you wish to receive, and off you go.

It will be a sad, sad day :(

Just to add perspective. Offline voice command that works super well already available in xbox 360. I suspect its the same on x1.

The voice recognition and command support is much more consistent and better and quicker than Cortana.
Are you talking Kinect there?

Not to burst your bubble, and really not even meant as a disagreement, but all three of the Big Players (Apple Siri, Google Now and Windows Cortana) pipe all of your voice input to the cloud for analysis. If you have no internet connection, all three of the players are unable to parse voice input. Try it some time, if you're interested.
I'm aware of that. I don't use any of them, this being one of the reasons.

You might make the argument that there exists sufficient computing power to parse "natural" language locally for PC use. The challenge here is that these technologies started as mobile digital personal assistants, and it makes a lot more sense (power consumption, centralization of effort, standardization on a single platform, horizontal scale, improvements and optimization can be made on a single platform shared to all devices ) to do this kind of analysis in the cloud rather than the fight that would be required to stand it up individually on every phone that might ever support the option.
Given how easy it is to lose connection with a mobile device, or just to be on a slow connection, local processing is arguably more important on those devices. Given that this kind of processing would only occur in short bursts, I don't think power consumption would be particularly bad either.

There's two options here: turn it off and wait however-long until there's some way to emulate this behavior at a completely local level (seems highly unlikely) or turn it on and become a member of the borg. Let's be blunt: you do not NEED Cortana, just like you do not need Solitaire or continuously rotating background images, so turning the feature off is an entirely viable option.

I get that you may not like those two options, but there are truly no others. I've got a dollar and a free cup of coffee that I'll wager on the Big Three never, ever taking these services out of the cloud. It simply does not make sense for them.
Option 1b is to turn it off and voice your disagreement with the current state of affairs in order to convince one of the Big Three (unlikely, as you say) or someone else (quite possible, IMO) that there is a niche that needs to be filled.

Xmas, I have no disagreements with nearly everything you said, but that's not the world in which we currently live. As if to add insult to injury, it seems unlikely that we're going back to that world in the foreseeable future. As for voicing your disagreement? The really sad part of this is that the overwhelming majority of folks who use these services have already "voted" for you, and Cloud is doing it.

My only single disagreement with your reply was here: "someone else (quite possible, IMO)" doing it -- I can't see how a 3rd party would be able to compete here. The amassed knowledge of billions of voices being translated and parsed every day in a cloud infrastructure will always result in a better response. A local voice recognition system will never be able to leverage that experience, and yet it will also never have the benefit of being hooked into the OS and the ecosystem of apps in the same way that the Big Three can do with their native services and API hooks.

Sure, you can buy Dragon's Naturally Speaking and build macros to have it do simple things via emulation of clicks on a GUI, but it can't touch the integration that Cortana has (and so will Siri) at the lowest levels of the apps that have been programmed to integrate with the common APIs, and with the OS itself that has the personal assistants woven in to the cogs, nuts and bolts of what makes your PC work.

And since that third party will need to monetize this application somehow, they''ll be trying to sell it in competition with the native featureset of an operating system. Sure, people buy DVD playing software too, but that problem has been solved for a decade now. Speech recognition is hard to get right (especially contextual clues) and even harder to apply to a system that is meant for hand-driven input. Unless your 3rd party reverse-engineers all the Cortana API hooks in Windows, I really can't see where they'd fit in.

Weird win 10 installed an update and rebooted when I turned it on this morning, nothing weird in that I hear you say, but the PC has not been hooked into the internet in over 2 days. A guy from the phone company is coming to look at the router today so hopefully soon I'll be able to do something with the PC instead of just watch movies.
BTW I predict recent files lust will be added to windows start menu within a week, I can't believe they forgot that

Sorry recent files list, on phone so swyping which sometimes comes up with the wrong words. 5" screen is too small, first world issues

Xmas, I have no disagreements with nearly everything you said, but that's not the world in which we currently live. As if to add insult to injury, it seems unlikely that we're going back to that world in the foreseeable future. As for voicing your disagreement? The really sad part of this is that the overwhelming majority of folks who use these services have already "voted" for you, and Cloud is doing it.
I don't think anything will be achieved by giving up on the idea. The majority can do whatever they want, I think there's a big enough market for privacy that a local voice controlled assistant with deeper integration will happen eventually.

My only single disagreement with your reply was here: "someone else (quite possible, IMO)" doing it -- I can't see how a 3rd party would be able to compete here. The amassed knowledge of billions of voices being translated and parsed every day in a cloud infrastructure will always result in a better response. A local voice recognition system will never be able to leverage that experience, and yet it will also never have the benefit of being hooked into the OS and the ecosystem of apps in the same way that the Big Three can do with their native services and API hooks.
A local system can still, to an extent, share what it learned if allowed to do so. Once it passes the threshold of "good enough" in terms of voice/action recognition it will be able to compete because of the benefits of working offline and respecting privacy. (By compete I don't mean going for a majority market share, but exist comfortably in a segment of the market.)

Two of the most likely candidates, Mozilla and Canonical, have their own OS.

Not going to start torrenting copyrighted material I'm afraid, even if it is relatively freely available.

The direct route to the ISOs is here:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/techbench

the problem is that page did not give unauthenticated direct link to ISO. Thus i cant make it to torrent.
downloading from them is hard to do because my internet have 65555 CRC error (its the maximum my modem can show)

i was hoping to repair my broken download via torrent. i guess ill need to go to airport and download from there...

@Albuquerque
yikes, thats a major downgrade from Xbox 360 from availability perspective (i have bad internet). x360 works fine while offline, including your own manually written content. i have tried modifying media file title on the HDD years ago and it understand the new title.

EDIT:
nevermind the torrent. i totally forgot that pirated store on shopping malls should be already selling it. man... been years since i buy pirated stuff (thanks steam/origin/amazon digital sales, humble bundle, PS4/Vita/PS+)

Last edited:
simple question, not major but its annoying, googling doesnt help, I find info for win 8, or win 10 (but old versions)
How to make windows boot straightaway to the desktop?
now its getting the lock screen where I have input my windows account password
I have signed out of my windows account, but still get the lock screen

i think you have to switch to a local account, under settings - users. from memory, I don't have the pc here :)
cheers I've think I've got it going now.
I'm gonna have to roll back to win 8.1 on my HDD, cubase is very broken under win 10, a huge PITA to even get it going in the first place with the elicense.
Im just hoping rolling back to 8.1 on the HDD wont invalidate win10 on my SSD, gonna have to fuck around with the elicense again, as the software can only be installed once

simple question, not major but its annoying, googling doesnt help, I find info for win 8, or win 10 (but old versions)
How to make windows boot straightaway to the desktop?
now its getting the lock screen where I have input my windows account password
I have signed out of my windows account, but still get the lock screen
you can use netplwiz

then select theboption to auto login

there is no auto login option, I did uncheck 'users must enter a username and password to use this computer' though

thats weird, i set up autologin from there.

as far as i remembered, after you uncheck 'users must enter a username and password to use this computer' you will need to type the password multiple times.

now restart. It should auto login.

hmm I wonder, does Windows 10 got any REVIEW from the TABLET perspective?

its horrible

In desktop mode:
  1. Now to change power mode need 5 click instead of 2.
  2. The system tray is a total waste of space with its HUGE notification block (the one with clock etc). It also looks like crap (seriously, complex GREY scrollbar in the middle of BLACK start)
  3. Side-swipes is GONE (how the heck I can easily go back to start now? or go to settings? Why now I need to use TWO HAND to use task switcher?)
  4. To change brightness to your preference, you need 2 to 5 click to cycle through pre-defined brightness. In Windows 8.1 it only need 1 click and drag it up or down to your liking.

In tablet mode:
  1. Now to change power mode need 5 click instead of 2.
  2. Side-swipes also GONE in tablet mode
  3. The start menu is totally CUMBERSOME and CONFUSING in Tablet mode. It HIDE "all apps". It have NO DESKTOP TILE and Windows + D cannot close/hide the fullscreen start menu (seriously Microsoft... it do able to hide/close in Desktop mode)
  4. The system tray is USELESS in tablet mode. It only show CORTANA, START, and BACK. Where is my apps pinned in systray? Where is my running app? This is totally cumbersome. I nolonger can not quickly switch between running apps using right hand.
  5. To change brightness to your preference, you need 2 to 5 click to cycle through pre-defined brightness. In Windows 8.1 it only need 1 click and drag it up or down to your liking.

All of that horrible totally broken UX was found in just 15 minutes of using Windows 10.

WHAT THE HECK
I know its a free upgrade but free doesn't means it is allowed to be such much of horrible product (compared to its predecessor).

Oh and by the way about the Dolby/DTS bug in Optical Out? Microsoft still has not released a fix despite it has been reported eons ago since Preview

EDIT:
SONY's warning should have this "Windows 10 have very different way to use than Windows 8.1, Sony cannot guarantee the quality of user experience"

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back