Windows 10 [2014 - 2017]

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a shame it never asked me if i would like the 64bit version, in fact its a surprise there is even a 32bit version

Microsoft does not (and has not) allowed an upgrade from 32bit to 64bit OS. It has always been a wipe and complete rebuild to convert between the two.

bloody buggy piece of OS**t .....

Start menu horrible stuff
  1. 1. Lots of missing start menu item
  2. 2. Cannot add item to start menu. Clicked PIN TO START, then nothing happen. Dragged shortcut to start button, nothing happen. Dragged shortcut to start menu, "denied" icon appear.
Cortana horrible stuff
1. Cortana cannot find a bunch of stuff, even in "Documents"
2. Cortana randomly do wrong stuff. "Cortana, play blablabla" and it did nothing. Sometime i need to say "cortana open groove music" first

Weird random stuff
1. now i have DOUBLE LOGIN (attached pic)
2. C drive keep getting filled to 0 bytes free

doubleshit.jpg

I striped my Win10 installation to the bare bone and did some makeover with a third party start menu replacement -- the stock start menu is indeed half-baked and unusable for me, too. So now I have mostly bearable UI (I'm still looking for some theme hacks to "glassify" the desktop), minimum telemetry, spyware and privacy leaks. Cortana is off for good, I simply have no use of such service in a desktop environment and I've removed most of the bundled Metro apps and services. WDDM 2.0 and DX12 is really the only things I would actually need from this OS.

I hope folks on here realise that Cortana isn't actually a female. It's a piece of software. Calling it 'she' seems rather bizarre to me. You weirdoes. :p

If it looks like a female...
If it talks like a female...
If it acts like a female, and going by Oran's comments that most certainly is the case :LOL:, it most likely is female ;)

Now you just think about what happens when people start connecting a ocolus and one of those souped up fleshlights the Japanese have to their computers and actually start talking to Cortana haha.

So Firefox 40 brings official Win10 support whatever that means.
Main 'feature' seems to be that it has the ability to set itself as the Default browser.
Apparently some interface streamlining.
And they still fucking made the release notes hidden deep in their website :mad:

Second, people who are "scared" of Cortana's access to things need to understand what she's capable of doing. For that, it's worthwhile to look at Cortana where she started -- on Windows Phone. I use her on a daily basis to keep me up to speed on my calendar events, on my commute times, on flight details, and most usefully to do things for me while I'm driving. She can take dictation for text messages, she can read my text messages back to me, she can call people or tell me who is calling, she can operate my Pandora app, all without moving my hands from my steering wheel or even so much as moving my eyes from the road. She can also do geofencing -- prompt me to look at my Costco shopping list when I drive into the Costco parking lot.

These things require access to contact data (Call from Mother Dearest - answer, or ignore? Hey Cortana, call my brother on his cell. My dad calls, Cortana reminds me to wish him a happy birthday), she needs access to my third party apps (Hey Cortana, play Pandora Orchestral Movie Composers channel), she needs access to my email and calendar (based on my Delta flight confirmation email, she will pop a message that my flight is 35 minutes delayed right now), she needs access to my text messages (Text message from Doug Wines: Read it, or ignore it? Hey Cortana, send a text to my Wife, tell her I'll be five minutes late getting home), and she needs access to my location (I arrive at Costco, reminder pops up for my shopping list.)

For a phone device, this is the bitchin'est thing ever. The way that I currently use PC's, maybe it's not as useful right now. But if I had a Windows tablet and was a mobile warrior, I'd be all over these features for the same reason. Shit is awesome, but to get use from it, you'll have to let go of the reigns. Is that scary for some people? Yeah, it is, and rightfully so, thus let them turn it off.

I have Cortana turned off on all my PC's, and I have it turned on for my WP 8.1 phone on my Lumia 1520. I'll continue to use her, because she's INCREDIBLY useful when my phone is tethered to my car's head unit.
You're right, these features are great and represent a big leap forward in personal computing.

But if implemented right, such a personal assistant does not require a connection to Microsoft. It is absolutely possible to perform these actions locally (of course specific actions require fetching data from the internet) and keep private data private. A digital personal assistant should be a user agent, do things for the user, in the interest of the user.

Could Microsoft use data collected from users to improve the software, maybe even provide a few extra services not possible otherwise? Yes. But then they have to tell users in the clearest way possible what they are collecting, how it is being used, and let users opt into such collection of data. The default assumption should be that data is private and explicit permission must be granted.

Firefox sticks it to Microsoft, redirects Cortana searches in Windows 10

With the newly-released Firefox 40, users no longer have to use Bing for web searches from Cortana on the Windows 10 taskbar. Instead, Firefox will show results from whatever search engine the user has chosen as the default. Using Firefox isn’t the only way to replace Cortana’s Bing searches with Google or another search engine. But Firefox is currently the only browser that does so without the need for third-party extensions. (It wouldn’t be surprising, however, if Google follows suit.)

https://blog.mozilla.org/blog/2015/08/1 ... ons-safer/

Chip, chip, chip .... Ladies and gentlemen, please sharpen your chisel and ready your hammer.

Last edited:
Activate "GodMode" in Windows 10 and gain access to tons of OS settings all from one single, well-organized window:

Create a new folder, on your desktop is a convenient place for trying this nice trick out. Give it THIS exact name:

GodMode.{ED7BA470-8E54-465E-825C-99712043E01C}

...And press enter. The folder will now transform into a control panel-like shortcut and is ready for use. Actually, you can replace the text before the initial period (".") with anything you like, but "GodMode" is kinda cool, isn't it? :)

Not my discovery of course. Just re-reporting what I read on the internets, or in my particular case, Nordic Hardware. As most of you probably don't understand Bork Bork Bork, I have re-rendered the instructions into English... Enjoy!

bloody buggy piece of OS**t .....

Start menu horrible stuff
  1. 1. Lots of missing start menu item
  2. 2. Cannot add item to start menu. Clicked PIN TO START, then nothing happen. Dragged shortcut to start button, nothing happen. Dragged shortcut to start menu, "denied" icon appear.

I had this issue when I upgraded. In my case it was due to me having too many start menu entries. Apparently having more than 512 entries breaks things. I uninstalled a bunch of old unused programs and that fixed it. Details here:

http://www.techworm.net/2015/07/windows-10-bugs-too-many-start-menu-apps-will-break-it.html

Who the heck think arbitrary limit without user visible indicator is a good idea....

its vista all over again, except this time its free upgrade.

Heh. I can't even get the ISO to download.

The upgrade from Win 7 through Windows update doesn't work.
The media creation tool to create a USB doesn't work ("something went wrong").
The same stupid tool won't even download the ISO so I can create the USB myself ("something went wrong").

Marvellous.

So by a random walk through the MS website I've found a page where I can download the ISO directly rather than use the silly tool. Let's see how that goes. Loving my Win10 "enhanced user experience" so far!

Last edited:
But if implemented right, such a personal assistant does not require a connection to Microsoft. It is absolutely possible to perform these actions locally (of course specific actions require fetching data from the internet) and keep private data private. A digital personal assistant should be a user agent, do things for the user, in the interest of the user.
Not to burst your bubble, and really not even meant as a disagreement, but all three of the Big Players (Apple Siri, Google Now and Windows Cortana) pipe all of your voice input to the cloud for analysis. If you have no internet connection, all three of the players are unable to parse voice input. Try it some time, if you're interested.

You might make the argument that there exists sufficient computing power to parse "natural" language locally for PC use. The challenge here is that these technologies started as mobile digital personal assistants, and it makes a lot more sense (power consumption, centralization of effort, standardization on a single platform, horizontal scale, improvements and optimization can be made on a single platform shared to all devices ) to do this kind of analysis in the cloud rather than the fight that would be required to stand it up individually on every phone that might ever support the option.

Now that these digital personal assistants are making their way to the PC platform, why would the Big Three re-invent the wheel? All the services already exist in the cloud as web services, scaled massively, leveraging the learning made from all the phone device usage. Building just one more lightweight service caller for the desktop platform is a cakewalk in comparison to utterly rebuilding it from scratch just for the sake of "keeping it local." Again, I'm taking this from the perspective of the Big Three, not from the perspective of a concerned user.

There's two options here: turn it off and wait however-long until there's some way to emulate this behavior at a completely local level (seems highly unlikely) or turn it on and become a member of the borg. Let's be blunt: you do not NEED Cortana, just like you do not need Solitaire or continuously rotating background images, so turning the feature off is an entirely viable option.

I get that you may not like those two options, but there are truly no others. I've got a dollar and a free cup of coffee that I'll wager on the Big Three never, ever taking these services out of the cloud. It simply does not make sense for them.

The same stupid tool won't even download the ISO so I can create the USB myself ("something went wrong").

Marvellous.

So by a random walk through the MS website I've found a page where I can download the ISO directly rather than use the silly tool. Let's see how that goes. Loving my Win10 "enhanced user experience" so far!

Can you help me? It will be really helped me if you also download the windows 10 home single language 64bit iso. Then make a torrent of it.

Thank you.

Marvellous.

Try the following:
1.Reserve Win10 in systray icon (if its there)
2.Open a admin command prompt
3.In above command prompt: wuauclt.exe /updatenow
4.Go to windows update and click update now/check for updates.

edit - I think thats what I did but in an article, they typed the command in 3 again after step 4.

Last edited:
Not to burst your bubble, and really not even meant as a disagreement, but all three of the Big Players (Apple Siri, Google Now and Windows Cortana) pipe all of your voice input to the cloud for analysis. If you have no internet connection, all three of the players are unable to parse voice input. Try it some time, if you're interested.

You might make the argument that there exists sufficient computing power to parse "natural" language locally for PC use. The challenge here is that these technologies started as mobile digital personal assistants, and it makes a lot more sense (power consumption, centralization of effort, standardization on a single platform, horizontal scale, improvements and optimization can be made on a single platform shared to all devices ) to do this kind of analysis in the cloud rather than the fight that would be required to stand it up individually on every phone that might ever support the option.

Now that these digital personal assistants are making their way to the PC platform, why would the Big Three re-invent the wheel? All the services already exist in the cloud as web services, scaled massively, leveraging the learning made from all the phone device usage. Building just one more lightweight service caller for the desktop platform is a cakewalk in comparison to utterly rebuilding it from scratch just for the sake of "keeping it local." Again, I'm taking this from the perspective of the Big Three, not from the perspective of a concerned user.

There's two options here: turn it off and wait however-long until there's some way to emulate this behavior at a completely local level (seems highly unlikely) or turn it on and become a member of the borg. Let's be blunt: you do not NEED Cortana, just like you do not need Solitaire or continuously rotating background images, so turning the feature off is an entirely viable option.

I get that you may not like those two options, but there are truly no others. I've got a dollar and a free cup of coffee that I'll wager on the Big Three never, ever taking these services out of the cloud. It simply does not make sense for them.

Just to add perspective. Offline voice command that works super well already available in xbox 360. I suspect its the same on x1.

The voice recognition and command support is much more consistent and better and quicker than Cortana.

But the flexibility is much better in cortana where you don't need to use the exact command phrase.

Edit:
Guys? Nobody gonna torrent the windows 10 home single language x64?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back