nVidia PR e-mails?

Zvekan

Newcomer
Ok I'm confused. I just got a interesing mail from one of nVidia PR guys and this is what is written at the end of message.

"This email message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message"

What does it legally mean? That I cannot use anything that is written in mail without asking for their permission? I havent signed any NDAs or any other form on contract so how can they give me some info or their comments (that even is not interesting from any point of view) and forbid me to spread it further.

Zvekan

Zvekan said:
Ok I'm confused. I just got a interesing mail from one of nVidia PR guys and this is what is written at the end of message.

"This email message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message"

What does it legally mean? That I cannot use anything that is written in mail without asking for their permission? I havent signed any NDAs or any other form on contract so how can they give me some info or their comments (that even is not interesting from any point of view) and forbid me to spread it further.

Zvekan
It means they don't want you sharing that e-mail with anyone and I don't think it has any real legal bearing either and is just a scare tactic.

AFAIK, it's a scare tactic, as Dig says.
But if you publish your e-mails with them, do not expect NVIDIA PR to want to talk with you too much again. They really don't like it, unless you ask for their permission, which they rarely give.

Uttar

Uttar said:
AFAIK, it's a scare tactic, as Dig says.
But if you publish your e-mails with them, do not expect NVIDIA PR to want to talk with you too much again. They really don't like it, unless you ask for their permission, which they rarely give.

Uttar

Luckily situation is different. We weren talking after I wrote that R9800 Pro is a better buy than FX5900 Ultra. They would simply ignore my mails.

But I don feel like talking to them if I cannot later use their words to backup mine.

Zvekan

edited

Bingo to what Uttar says. You haven't entered into any sort of contract, so they can't do anything to you legally if you publish it. But yeah, they will be miffed.

K.I.L.E.R said:
Do you really want to take that chance?
Do you really want them to be able to intimidate you like that and just roll over for 'em?

"Question authority!" ain't just a bumper sticker, it's a damned good philosophy of life at times. It's a good thing to wonder if you should obey someone's order or not, and to ponder from time to time if the person giving you orders is actually entitled to order you around.

Lots of times the answer is "yes", which is cool; but this just ain't one of those times and I think they just use it as a shield to hide behind because as Zvekan said, "But I don feel like talking to them if I cannot later use their words to backup mine.", tends to keep people from relating their communications with nVidia.

I actually had 'em forget to add that disclaimer to a couple of e-mails, (one in particular that is the royal doozy of all goof-ups for a time to not add that particular disclaimer :LOL: ), but it don't really matter since they have about as much weight as a shrink-wrap EULA that says I have to give up my first born if I open up the wrapper.

Zvekan said:

Zvekan

It sounds to me as if it's directed to people that recieve the email by mistake.
It really is a pathetic attempt to scare using "legalese" . If it was actually prohibited by law they would have citied the statue. Kind of tells you were Nvidia's head is it... Nvidia is attempting to give the impression that any and all information contained in an email is Nvidia's property on , before , and after transmission. Maybe their emails will come with a EULA to sign next.

something like ....

IMPORTANT: READ CAREFULLY: This Nvidia End-User Reading Agreement ("EURA") is a legal agreement between you (either an individual or a single entity) and Nvidia Corporation for the Nvidia Generic Email identified above, which includes computer email and may include associated media, printed materials, and "online" or electronic FUD ("Marketing"). The EMAIL also includes any updates and supplements to the original EMAIL provided to you by Nvidia. Any attachments provided along with the EMAIL that is associated with a separate end-user license agreement is licensed to you under the terms of that license agreement. By reading, copying, downloading, accessing or otherwise using the EMAIL, you agree to be bound by the terms of this EURA. If you do not agree to the terms of this EURA, do not read or use the EMAIL ; you must, however, obliterate all traces of the "EMAIL" then commit ritual suicide using any "approved" Nvidia product. .................................blah blah blah.. ad infinitum ............

Probably it means that NV's IT guys got around to slapping that notice by default on all outgoing email from their servers. More and more companies are doing that; my own started a few months back.

It is mostly aimed at emails inadvertently sent to the wrong address, I think.

Zvekan,
You seem to have a history with nvidia, and have emailed them yourself (to get information, I guess) so you could in fact be under legal contract with them.; moreso if they emailed you in the capacity of representative of any kind of business (e.g as editor at a website) that have prior dealings with them. I´m not saying you are bound by contract, but depending on what have have been said or written between you earlier, you could be.
You can´t just assume there is no legal binding, contract law is no Sunday school.

If you have a journalist friend it would be quite possible for him/her to accidentally be able to see your monitor while you are reading your mail, whereby he/she as a journo could use this information without revealing the source.

If, however, you are not the intended recipient you have no obligation at all.

I wonder though, why they would send you information you cannot use.
I also wonder why you start by saying it´s an interesting email, and then at the end say their info and/or comments are of no interest by any point of view :?

If they wanted to they can bleed you dry quite well. It has nothing to do with rolling over. If they mistakingly sent the e-mail then that is their fault.

You forget the main point of all this. America is the land of litigation. If people can be compensated for slipping on a public footpath (suing the so called owner of the footpath) then why can't nVidia be compensated from your pocket over "damages"?

You also have to remember that people can be easily set up.

Just because they may not have any legal precedence to claim primary damage over an e-mail doesn't mean they can't claim secondary damage.

There have been similar cases in courts where this situation we are discussing has actually been won by the plaintiff. Surprised? I'm not, that's why I made my original comment.

I'm quite sure that corporations wouldn't bother suing someone who doesn't have much. You can get away with it, but what happens if you don't?

Even if they lose the case against you, you will already have been bled dry.

digitalwanderer said:
K.I.L.E.R said:
Do you really want to take that chance?
Do you really want them to be able to intimidate you like that and just roll over for 'em?

"Question authority!" ain't just a bumper sticker, it's a damned good philosophy of life at times. It's a good thing to wonder if you should obey someone's order or not, and to ponder from time to time if the person giving you orders is actually entitled to order you around.

Lots of times the answer is "yes", which is cool; but this just ain't one of those times and I think they just use it as a shield to hide behind because as Zvekan said, "But I don feel like talking to them if I cannot later use their words to backup mine.", tends to keep people from relating their communications with nVidia.

I actually had 'em forget to add that disclaimer to a couple of e-mails, (one in particular that is the royal doozy of all goof-ups for a time to not add that particular disclaimer :LOL: ), but it don't really matter since they have about as much weight as a shrink-wrap EULA that says I have to give up my first born if I open up the wrapper.

rubank said:
I wonder though, why they would send you information you cannot use.
I also wonder why you start by saying it´s an interesting email, and then at the end say their info and/or comments are of no interest by any point of view :?

It was poorly written as I'm not that good with English. The reason why they sent me the mail was interesting, but what they wrote was completely useless (no interesting information) so I dont see reasons for forbiding me to use it.

To K.I.L.E.R: Luckily I live in Europe :)

Zvekan

Go ahead and post it. Overseas lawsuits are costly and are much more difficult.
nVidia would need quite a shocking story to give anyone any reason extradite you.

Maybe something along the lines that you have given terrorists their secrets and now Bin Laden is using NV40's in his nuclear warheads which have new deadly features such as intellisampling, brilinear warhead(it only half explodes). ;) :LOL:

digitalwanderer said:

Hey dig, aren't you being a bit hypocritical here? Weren't you the one that didn't want to post some emails because of the problems it would cause YOU? Did you ever post it?

Um. . . Ya know what? That appeared at the end of replies to emails I sent to ATI dev support, too. . . ;)

I get e-mails with that type of stuff at the bottom all the time. I don't consider it a scare tactic at all, just as a friendly reminder that this IS a private correspondence and should be treated as such. Hence, passing it around to everyone you know would be extremely rude.

It's just like when a friend tells you a secret - you're not contractually obligated to keep it to yourself, but if you're not a complete ass, you will.

ByteMe said:
digitalwanderer said:

Hey dig, aren't you being a bit hypocritical here? Weren't you the one that didn't want to post some emails because of the problems it would cause YOU? Did you ever post it?
Nope, and most of that does just have to do with cowardice against the headaches of retribution....you are correct. :oops:

digitalwanderer said:
Nope, and most of that does just have to do with cowardice against the headaches of retribution....you are correct. :oops:

I think someone needs to keep a close watch on you. I bet you would make a good car salesman. I would suggest that you reaffirm your ideals and blast those suckers (Nvidia).

Back