World of Warcraft: Legion

Grall

Invisible Member
Legend
For those who still care about this game (I'm seemingly mentally incapable of not caring, gnnnh...), I am guessing you followed the live presentation of the next expansion (conveniently lacking a release date, or even a start-of-beta announcement :p), unless you're asian/in asia and asleep right now, american and at work or school and unable to set time aside to watch it, or have to deal with minor annoyances and other pesky things such as...well, children, wife, family, or real life, or something like that!

Heh.

Anyway, the new expansion's gonna be called "Legion", and it signifies the return of the Burning Legion, and we're gonna be "shocked", says Blizzard, which from the fact enhancement shamen are going to be able to wield Doomhammer means Greenjesus, A.K.A. Thrall, A.K.A. "Go'el" dies during the introduction - or so I interpret these facts anyway - Blizzard never stated it outright, other than that we players will pick up these artifacts from where their former fallen wielders dropped them. This includes Ashbringer by the way, Tirion's paladin sword, and the shards of Frostmourne, the Lich King's cursed runeblade, which will be re-forged into two one-handed weapons.

Artifact weapons (which have existed as a thing in WoW since forever, except never actually implemented) is the new legendary ring from Warlords, which they made a ring rather than a cloak like in Pandaland, so that players did not have to run around for much of an expansion showing the same cloak all the time together with every other player also wearing the same cloak around them. ...Which makes perfect not-sense I guess, in a Blizzard roundabout way, because they often go completely round-circle in their reasoning and decision-making from one extreme to the other, and then right back to the start again.

So to partially offset player-sameyness, they're making a separate artifact weapon for each player class and spec - that's at least 36 or something like that - and have created at least four different visual flavor varieties of each weapon as well, creating a total of 144-ish, give or take a few. So this means...regular weapons won't drop anymore in Legion? *shrug* Cuz that's a crapload of 3D modeling and texturing time sunk into these artifacts, and from what was said on-stage, we will be wielding these weapons ALL the time throughout the expansion from start to finish. So no more swearing that bosses won't drop weapons ever for us, I guess; we'll already have a good one from the start, and it will grow more powerful and gain unlockable talents/perks as we play, level up and hit endgame.

Sidenote: so... That was time well spent filling up my entire void storage with transmog daggers for my rogue! Well, granted, there's "some" swords there too, maybe like twenty, thirty or something like that, and a couple bunches of maces, a load or three of fist weapons... Ha ha. I assume we will still be able to transmog our weapons though, because if not the internet will surely explode with bellyaching. :LOL:

Fun "Blizzard-I-Trol-Yuo!!11!1!!1" moment: after showing three exactly identical cat druids as examples of how their artifacts look, it was revealed that cat and bear druids' forms will change depending on your weapon/flavor appearance, since your gear is invisible when in animal form. Then it was revealed that the original cat form image was in fact an updated, up-rezzed HD cat form. No doubt, Moonkin druids will still look exactly the same as they did in 2004 when the game first launched. Blizzard are the ultimate trollers of moonkin druids; even warlock demons have been uprezzed without the moonkin form getting as much as some lipstick applied to it... :p

Interesting fact they just dropped in there without further elaborating on in any way: survival hunters' artifact weapon is a spear. Not a bow, or a gun!

Ever since Cataclysm, hunters have lacked melee weapon slots on their character screens (in WoW, all polearms are melee weapons, and (throwing) spears aren't even an existing class of weapon), so this signifies a fairly huge class change - or it could, anyway! Nobody knows how large a change may be in store for survival hunters though, since they - like I said - didn't elaborate on it. But it's fun and interesting all the same, and will no doubt create quite a bit of speculation on the internet until more information is released. (If it doesn't I think Blizzard would be very disappointed... ;))

Oh, and there will be a Demon Hunter class, and they will have only two specs; damage and tank. And be elf-only from what it seems. Meaning night elf or blood elf. And they will be a hero class like death knights and start at a high level when creating the character, ready to begin questing the Legion storyline (so presumably, level 100 after finishing the introduction quest chain.)

No word on if we will gain a 12th character slot to enable people with a full stable of existing characters to try out a demon hunter too, but again, the bellyaching if nothing else will probably drive them to implement this. They did with monks for Pandaland after all.

They talked about a lot of other stuff too, but this is what I found most interesting I think. Not sure this expansion and what it tries to do is what is right for the game at this stage - trying to go back to things people feel nostalgic about - Legion doesn't push very many of my buttons I must say. I'm sure I will play it, some, but how much is uncertain at this stage. It depends on what else Blizzard reveals later on, right now I feel fairly "yawn-y" about this expansion and it isn't even out yet. Even less excitement than I felt over the overly orcy Warlords, I must say. Then again, I've been playing this game for 10+ years now on and off. It wears on you.

Last edited:
Icy Veins has conducted an interview with the Blizzard big-wigs from yesterday's announcement, revealing some additional details about the expansion. Much effort is being sunk into refining the 'core fantasy' of each class and spec, to de-homogenize them from each other and refine the essence of what makes that class and spec unique from everyone else.

Therefore, survival hunters are indeed a melee spec now, fighting with a pet. Marksman hunters is a ranged spec, fighting using bows and guns without a pet. Beastmaster hunters are also still ranged, and with a pet. Affliction warlocks focus on decay, while destruction warlocks focus on hurling gobs of fire. Demon warlocks focus on...well, demons. From what the interview suggests and the fact demon hunters can metamorphize into demon forms, I assume demon warlocks don't do that stuff anymore.

Crafting is also receiving a lot of attention this expansion, with the largely negative reactions that came from warlords. Good stuff, I hope. No details released yet however.

It's a good read, this interview! Lots of other stuff to be found there as well, in addition to what I mentioned here just now. Go read it, if you care about WoW!

http://www.icy-veins.com/forums/top...m-interview-with-tom-chilton-ion-hazzikostas/

I was looking cautiously at Legion but instead, I've done it. Last weekend, after almost ten years of playing mostly as Alliance on what was originally the EU Quel'Thalas realm (depressingly, I can also remember my EverQuest realm: Innoruuk), I've uninstalled WoW and cancelled my monthly subscription which I terrifyingly worked out has cost around £1,000 - actually, probably a fair bit over with the cost of expansions and a couple of *cough* gold injections after lengthy absences.

I played the heck out of Wrath and Cataclysm but couldn't find any time for Pandaria. I'm going to miss the humour and brilliant writing of the quests and my guildies in Trotters Traders but MMO's just require too much time.

But roll on the movie next year! :yes:

Legion alpha test is reaching its end. Destruction warlocks will finally be added today after patching/maintenance finishes, as the last spec to be (re-)introduced to the game, and the level cap will be lifted to 110. Some endgame content will also be added, with the addition of "world quests", which I don't know much about, but it's like..pseudo-random-generated content of some sort that appears on the world map. You go there, smash some badguys, collect rewards, or something like that.

I've been running around the alpha test, quite a bit in two of the zones, and a little in two of the other leveling zones. Final, level-cap zone, as well as the island with sargeras tomb on it you can only look at while flying over it from the air.

Two of the leveling zones are quite beautiful; Azsuna and Val'sharrah are very pretty. Highmountain is fairly standard-faire, tall snow-peaked mountains, pines, stuff like that. Lots of cows; the two-legged WoW variety, not your ordinary herbivore bovines. ...With moose antlers tho, instead of horns. Stormheim is a birch-sprinkled and more open version of autumny Grizzly Hills (and with Vrykul added to it - which by the way is the WoW version of viking giants, for those not in the know.) Stormheim's geography is very dramatic, with high cliffs and sheer drops, and deep valleys. Sort of like Norway in a way, heh, and a more fjord-like landscape on the whole than Howling Fjord in Northrend ever was.

Val'sharrah is a shadowy dense forest landscape by and large. Home of druidism on Azeroth, and like Azsuna, dotted with Night Elf architecture ruins here and there. Lots of green in this zone, except where the Emerald Nightmare is invading, where colors go into shades of black and brilliant red. Looks pretty cool!

Azsuna has a sort of mediterranean-ish feel to it IMO, the trees look a fair bit like gnarly olive trees, and the color scheme and other vegetation and landscape also hint at such inspirations IMO. It's much more airy than Val'sharrah; like the other zones, most of the zone is not forest. I've only passed through here briefly to pick up some quest items (also stayed to help kill an elite monster), so less than ten minutes spent here probably. Anyhow, this is the prettiest zone I think.

Overall, Legion is looking pretty good, although maybe a bit small? There's five main zones and a side island (which is very black and demonic green and mainly populated with demons), while Warlords of Draenor had seven large zones. I haven't seen any size comparisons of Legion zones versus Warlords tho, so maybe the total surface area is more or less the same. Even if the expansion IS smaller, it should not be a big problem since endgame content can take place anywhere in the game thanks to the new monster level scaling tech found in Legion. In previous WoW, endgame was contained to specific areas, which meant you had to grind those small areas again and again, introducing fatigue.

Now, any part of the game can be an endgame content area, even that cool little Vrykul village you previously only passed through once during questing and never came back to again. More variety, so hopefully, more longevity too. And hopefully, Legion will not see another content lull lasting over a whole fucking year like Warlords will (nobody seriously expects this expansion to launch before end of june at the very earliest. It may be longer still than that for all we know.)

Legion's pre-patch event has finally kicked off for real with the enabling of Demon Invasions (and demon hunters, for those who have pre-purchased digitally). I've had time to play the game a bit since the pre-patched launched a couple weeks ago, and while player classes feel pretty hit-and-miss* the demon invasion events are really something!

They take place in several stages, set in a number of different zones, and start off around one of the major population centers in the zone and then spread out, reaching a climax, and then after defeating sufficient amounts of invading forces a boss spawns. Killing the boss awards the only loot you'll find during the event; so-so-ish armor gear (rare item level 685 armors; weapons too as rare drops), and special shards which can be turned in to a vendor in the two main capital cities in return for lewt - there's cloaks, rings, amulets and trinkets, unique appearance transmog gear, a toy, a battle pet and some other stuff too to be found.

Invasions use Legion's scaling technology for all participating players from levels 10 up to 100, and so do the rewards. This means lowbies can participate right alongside level-capped, endgame hardcore raiders, and get rewards suitable for their level.

*Player classes:
As those who care about WoW knows, huge changes have been made to how the game plays. Skills have been axed and added, rotations fundamentally changed. Marksman hunters gain focus through shooting arcane shot now. Enhancement shamen no longer use mana for their attack spells, and instead gain a new resource, maelstrom. Same with moonkin druids, who get astral power, and no longer have a bouncing eclipse bar.

Some classes are very hard to figure out how to play, others are more straightforward. Moonkin are way simpler to play; enhancement shamen way harder. Melee hunters are a thing again, and play great. I'm having a blast with my melee hunter, it's one of the best changes ever made to the game IMO. Add all of the new hunter pet species we can tame in Legion, and the way to personalize your hunter (kodos, stegosaurs, mana wyrms and many more!), and thus ways to make your character feel unique has increased a lot.

As of now, we don't have access to the artifact weapons which will be a really big thing in Legion. Moonkin are even designed almost completely around said artifact, where you gain a new spell upon equipping it which offers three charges which grant increasing amounts of astral power and damage when cast at enemies. Astral power generation increase hugely using this ability, making core spells like starsurge and starfall much easier to afford than they are currently.

Im playing demon hunter (NE) now. Its really cool and modern class with easy (optional hard) gameplay :] Good way to try something new in WoW if you a got bored of other classes. Also in prepatch added cool invasion event and quest chain in Ulduar and Kharazan.

Anyone playing WoW still on B3D, or cares about it the tiniest tiny bit? :p

Funny to read back on my original post in this thread, where I state how not-excited I was about Legion after it was first presented, and then knowing how it turned out more than two years later... Legion is probably the expansion I've played the most so far out of the last three or four, I think. Storytelling-wise, the game is dramatically improved. Just...immense improvement all around.

While some aspects have been irritating (lack of flying for seven months, and overall heavy reliance on time-gating throughout much of the expansion), the unfolding storyline has been very engaging. The war against the Burning Legion is now climaxing a year into the expansion, with players advancing onto the Legion's home soil, the world of Argus, home of the Eredar (a splinter of which became the playable race called the Draenei; the rest of them all transformed into demons).

In about ten and a half hours, I will be able to log into the new patch, accept the quest to warp to Argus in a crystalline spaceship, watch a truly badass cinematic, and then start kicking demon butt there. I'm pretty hyped actually, not just for the new zones and the additional content and upgraded gear I will be able to attain, but also because those wicked bad demons need such a spanking! And I will get to be the one delivering it. It feels great; players are truly heroes of legend in this expansion, the storytelling really hit the mark here, and it is super great.

The latest patch has been on test servers for months already, but I've stayed away quite deliberately. I don't want to spoil myself.

My main character is still my moonkin, and she really is badass now. I felt pretty weak early on in the expansion, but my power has grown exponentially and now I handle myself quite well. Moonkin feels good playing, and it is overall a very enjoyable class. Survival hunter is also extremely enjoyable still to me; the hand-to-hand fighting style using spear and your pet is rapid and dynamic; you initiate the fight by tossing your chain harpoon at an enemy target and pulling yourself over to them; upon killing an enemy the cooldown on your harpoon is re-set, so a few quick, heavy initial hits and a regular enemy is dead, letting you move on immediately to the next target. You can munch through a whole village of mobs this way in very quick succession, only to pause a few times to pick up your loot.

Back