Image Quality and Framebuffer Speculations for WIP/alpha/beta/E3 games *Read the first post*

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/community/blog-posts/halo-5-guardians-your-team-is-your-weapon

Some new Halo 5 Screens there. And damn it still looks very blurry and has a lot of aliasing going on...
halo-5-guardians-artemis-43f7511495fe4b9d8dc20776d950a9e9.png

They probably just grabbed that from the E3 demo. The two shots with the HUD comparison are a bit higher (4/5 or 5/6 ratio, didn't have enough steps to distinguish between the two). The fog is really messing with the edges in some parts.

The 1440p screens are 1.5x supersampled (4K).

edit:

Last edited:
Everything is pretty much blurred. One thing that might be doable is reverse scaling and analyzing 1/2 x 1/2 resolution post processing artefacts.

Grabbed a few shots from the new Halo 5 campaign B-roll that went up for Gamescom:

EpzXfXU.jpg

2VIVVI7.jpg

yUvRMGV.jpg

First two seem to be full 1080p, while the third is definitely upscaled. So I guess that either confirms that they're using dynamic resolution scaling, as was speculated from the E3 vidoc footage, or they spliced together footage from several builds.

Grabbed a few shots from the new Halo 5 campaign B-roll that went up for Gamescom:

First two seem to be full 1080p, while the third is definitely upscaled. So I guess that either confirms that they're using dynamic resolution scaling, as was speculated from the E3 vidoc footage, or they spliced together footage from several builds.

The e3 footage was locked 810 vertical though, so 1080P is a improvement in the possible minimum at least. Nice to hear.

Maybe worded unclear. Previous apparent maximum vertical (from e3 vidoc)=810 (locked). Could not go higher than that. New max vertical=1080.

The game was never 1080P at E3 footage. Of course it could mean different levels etc, but given stinkles comments it's likely just improvements.

Maybe worded unclear. Previous apparent maximum vertical (from e3 vidoc)=810 (locked). Could not go higher than that. New max vertical=1080.

The game was never 1080P at E3 footage. Of course it could mean different levels etc, but given stinkles comments it's likely just improvements.

Well, actually, there were a couple points in the Sprint footage that were 1600-1920x1080, and they were basically the same space station/corridor.

So could be both different builds and locale.

Probably a target, but somewhat curious the engine decides to go lower.

810 vs 1080 isn't insignificant. ( as much as I hate double negatives)

They should just name it TSSAA if they call it Temporal Super-Sampling but i guess that's too many letters and it might confuse people :p

Back