Quantum Break [XO] (by Remedy) *large images*

8VaMfHj.gif

So good.
Yup, this is the part that impressed me the most (if all realtime, even if all pre calculated and not during gameplay at all) along with the time bending effects on geometry all around the protagonist which is actually during gameplay.

As for gameplay, its a s if each shot fired is super glorified to the utmost limit , lol ! It will be a great wow inducing first playthrough for sure. But the subsequent ones,......I don't think they are making it that way. They seem to be making it like an interactive adventure game with shooter gameplay.

Is this game playable on showfloor? cos then we can get actual gameplay footages of people playing and trying out the firefights.

Good work by Remedy here, kudos ! If I had not cringed so much in Alan Wake I would be more interested given that Max Paynes are my all time favourites.
Now, MS also has Guerilla Games kindof tech powerhouse studio !

I don't think it's pre-calculated, with all the compression it is really hard to notice but there's some really low res shadows with very aggressive LOD in that time skipping sequence. Also impressive lighting is nothing new for Remedy, i remember Alan Wake being very tech proficient for its time especially in the lighting department and also had a similar focus on volumetrics. Quantum Break looks like the evolution of the tech they used in Alan Wake but it also seems like the weak parts of Alan Wake are here too, some very low res shadows and textures. On the other hand, it's a TPS so high quality textures are not as important imo.

Found this for Alan Wake, would be nice if they released something similar for Quantum Break.

Microsoft released B-roll footage of a part of the demo: http://news.xbox.com/media/assets/g...ntum-break-gamescom-b-roll?sc_device=lightbox

Some things i noticed from that small clip:

Weird shadowing on distant objects:
DearPlayfulHousefly.gif

SSR being used for puddle reflections
IllustriousIllustriousHartebeest.gif

During time bending gameplay the character silhouette has a weird ghosting effect, almost looks like TAA on steroids
quantum-break-gamesco0us9b.png

In the next frame the ghosting is gone (almost) for the finishing animation
quantum-break-gamescophsa8.png

Their in-game DOF looks bugged as well, character should be in focus in this scene
quantum-break-gamescoywshs.png

Overall i really like the lighting but the combination of poor AA + probably sub1080p res hurt the overall image quality imo. Alan Wake looked really clean in comparison, even the X360 release (they used 2x MSAA iirc).

M

Weird shadowing on distant objects:

Pretty standard shadow artefacting due to shadow res + short distance between shadow caster & receiver.

They probably have a rather limited shadow buffer footprint to maximize bandwidth usage on XO. With dynamic sun shadow, the distant shadows will be at the lowest shadow cascade.

Alan Wake looked really clean in comparison, even the X360 release (they used 2x MSAA iirc).

AW was 544p @ 4xMSAA. 1120*576 @4xMSAA for AW: AN.

Yeah i don't think the res is to blame but the AA and PP, it looks blurred while the time effects effects have sharp edges everywhere and the end result is a bit mixed. It looks like the AA doesn't match the art direction at all and this is why i hope for the AA to change.

I still have no idea how to actually play the game. Before the dudes that can ignore the time rips came out, it seemed like he was just pushing random buttons, making time bursts and then shooting when he felt like it... on super easy mode because he'd turn around and a guy had been standing there just staring at him waiting to get shot.

The cut scenes showing the areas slipping back and forth across time looked really awesome, but I'm completely unsure about the gameplay except "Hit button to throw time rip/stop time - shoot. Repeat."

I think you can, i don't think this is a controlled cutscene but more like an evolving environment where you can walk through. At least that's how they used exposition for some stuff in Alan Wake iirc. If this is a cutscene it would make more sense to have some sort of dramatic camera angle.

I still have no idea how to actually play the game. Before the dudes that can ignore the time rips came out, it seemed like he was just pushing random buttons, making time bursts and then shooting when he felt like it... on super easy mode because he'd turn around and a guy had been standing there just staring at him waiting to get shot.

The cut scenes showing the areas slipping back and forth across time looked really awesome, but I'm completely unsure about the gameplay except "Hit button to throw time rip/stop time - shoot. Repeat."
The stage demo from last year showed the HUD, complete with a meter that was drained by using the time powers. But it refilled almost instantly, suggesting that the regen rate was just amped up for the demo so they could show stuff off rather than wasting stage time hiding behind crates waiting for an opportunity.

I think it's safe to say something similar is going on this time as well, and that you probably won't be able to be quite so profligate with your power usage in the final game. And it looked like it was probably recorded with god-mode on to boot, judging by how they were just standing there while being shot at in a few places.

I think that you can blame the time related effects for that. You have the character and object ghosting, you have the sharp edges (like a broken mirror hanging in the air in slow mo), you have the CA and de-saturation applied, some blu-ish hues + more dramatic lighting, the small particles flying around. There's a lot of stuff going on and they use it so much it's confusing for a presentation. But i think for the final game it's nice that they made the powers look "cool" with all that stuff. I really like the mirror thing, because it mirrors what they say about the timeline being broken and whatnot.

Same scene w/o powers enabled:
1p9pfw.png

W/ powers
2v6pbd.png

I understand. My point is, these real time demos are highly pre-choreographed and planned, so as to make the most interesting looking playthrough that is still representative of actual gameplay, and that shows off the stuff that makes the game different under the best possible light.
I think they crammed too many time-warping special moves at once here. They should have spaced them out a bit more, even if that meant not showing all the ones they did in a single showing. When you try to comunicate too much stuff at once, you end up not communicating anything properly.
Instead of this leaving the impression of being a cool shooter that has some amazing time-bending moves here and there, many viewers will just get fatigued a few seconds in and not understand what is happening. There were moments where I had a hard time understending where one move ended and another one started.
They did a bad job.

Last edited:
Man this is looking really good. Graphically, thematically, and story wise. The effects are so cool not just from a technical level but an artistic one.

I kind of dont like how Remedy is always trying to shoe-horn the TV thing into their games, but then again, I guess it's ok to try something different for once.

Kind of hard to believe a lowly 7770 is doing this stuff sometimes, that's the power of targeting a single spec and all that.

Back