NX Gamer Discusses Game Tech *spin* [2015 - 2017]

Status
Not open for further replies.
He makes a good point about level traversing. So far only first-party ICE games (Uncharted, TLoU) were properly doing it: proper collisions, changes in animation, moving level parts.

I think this detail is one of his correct finding...

mOxtaXU.jpg

The technical director of Guerrilla said it does a good job on this video. It is sometimes good and sometimes not... I think he has a good eye and see many details after he is not rendering programmer and it is sometimes difficult to know what a dev exactly do but Guerrilla publishes many documents about Killzone Shadow Fall it is easier to know what they do.

I think NXGamer and Digitalfoundry could maybe do more interview of a dev before or after doing a technical analysis to add or correct information...

Yeah he has a good eye for details, and goes on more in-depth than DF usually do.

Well he did say that he was going to speak in laymens terms. Anisotropic filtering isn't going to make much sense to the average layman gamer. Neither is the would the term oblique angle. So its better to say horizontal facing and vertical facing textures.
Sorry but when did 'oblique angle' become a difficult term? It translates almost exactly the same in many other languages and I'd hope anyone with half an education would know what that means.

/extreme pedantry

I think NXGamer and Digitalfoundry could maybe do more interview of a dev before or after doing a technical analysis to add or correct information...

DigitalFoundry always asks developers for input afaik, but very often it is either not allowed by PR or it takes a long time for PR to approve the interview.

Well he did say that he was going to speak in laymens terms. Anisotropic filtering isn't going to make much sense to the average layman gamer. Neither is the would the term oblique angle. So its better to say horizontal facing and vertical facing textures.

I disagree. We use names for a reason, it facilitates communication. It makes no difference if you understand the derivation of the name. If he used a common term like "anisotropic filtering" then anyone could Google it and educate themselves. Try looking up "filtering horizontal facing textures", it might not work as well. But it is not just the names, he was lose with the facts and bad with the explanations too.

Sorry but when did 'oblique angle' become a difficult term? It translates almost exactly the same in many other languages and I'd hope anyone with half an education would know what that means.

/extreme pedantry

I don't think it's the term, that is the problem, but what it entails. A regular gamer wouldn't expect dropping texture quality, because the surface you're watching rotates to an oblique angle. It took me a while to understand the reason behind it (as well as mip mapping, because it's strange to see lower resolution textures to actually produce better IQ)

Or Homefront 2, Doom, Star Citizen. All are more impressive than Scalebound in both technical and visual way [IMO].

His video also has bad title, already released games of 2015 got robbed [especially Order1886].

His opinion people... nothing more, nothing less. :yep2:

Yet, no Halo 5, Gears of War 4, The Last Guardian, WiLD, and The Tomorrow Children mentions... :(

He mentioned TTC at the end, said he believes it has the most impressive lighting this gen.

I don't think it was in a numbered list. Just a top 10 overall.

6qPIE1i.png

Scalebound looks pretty good in cutscene but in gameplay it is not very impressive. And I don't like the principal character, he is ridiculous...

Last edited:
Or Homefront 2, Doom, Star Citizen. All are more impressive than Scalebound in both technical and visual way [IMO].

His video also has bad title, already released games of 2015 got robbed [especially Order1886].

It is not 2015 games shipped. It is game presented in 2015 in different expo.

Last Guardian looks like PS3 game (well, literally, it is the exact same as when they showed supposedly on PS3 7 years ago) it should not be anywhere near any lists...

Last Guardian looks like PS3 game (well, literally, it is the exact same as when they showed supposedly on PS3 7 years ago) it should not be anywhere near any lists...
- No. (Please watch the HQ video).
- TLG shown 7 years ago was indeed running on a PS3... at a single digit fps and then specced up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back