Windows 10 [2014 - 2017]

Status
Not open for further replies.
the internal torrent option only available on 10 pro and above right? Its unchangeable for home or lower
Oh no, you can change it during initial setup, just don't click the express option. How you do it later on I don't know, but there's always one way or another with microsoft. Sometimes you need to dig into the registry, but it can be done.

I remember I disabled the lock screen for windows 8 with a registry setting, because...what the shit is it doing there? It fills no purpose. Just let me log in, god dammit... :LOL:

the internal torrent option only available on 10 pro and above right? Its unchangeable for home or lower
For previous versions of Windows, the BrancheCache function did not exist in the non-professional flavors of the operating system. Said another way, if we infer from precedent, the "Home" flavor of Windows 10 isn't capable of providing the "torrent-like" service, nor connecting to it. In prior versions, the only option was to use the native WSUS connectivity to pull patches, which does not include hooks for BrancheCache.

I cannot say if Win10 Home editions work the same way, but thinking about it logically (and assuming Microsoft's positive intent in this) the super-majority of "home" users would be using the "home" SKU, which may not be the best bet for possibly unfettered sharing of bandwidth. I'm not giving them a pass for all Pro sku's defaulting to a behavior that allows sharing across the internet; I feel a sharing across LAN as the default would have been the best method.

Also, about the Dolby DTS stuff... I'm naive on this subject, but is Windows actually blocking this output, or are the sound devices not capable of the output with the new driver or audio stack? No prior versions of Windows natively supported Dolby DTS or the like; it always required support from capable hardware and matched software. Again, my ignorance is showing, but this seems like a simple driver issue on the part of the sound card manufacturers as a necessary response to something that changed within the audio stack on W10.

Guess I should go looking :)

I highly doubt Windows 10 is blocking DD/DTS (although I can't test since hdmi audio in general doesn't work for me). Potentially he means he's having trouble producing bit-perfect output (transferring the raw DTS/DD stream from his computer to receiver/etc.). Even then though, technically only S/PDIF users should really be affected. Sending the decoded lpcm over hdmi won't result in quality loss.

I believe the issue is that no hardware that is supposed to support Dolby Digital Live (and/or DTS Interactive) through the driver is actually outputting any sound when this option is chosen in the control panel. It just throws an error, even with updated Win 10 drivers from the manufacturers.

(Bit-streaming from a digital source or digital out as 2ch. PCM seems to work fine.)

Can people get any DD/DTS pass-through to work on Windows 10 (e.g. from a movie)? I haven't tried the optical ports from my motherboard (I think coincidentally mine supports Dolby Digital Live too).

I wonder if this relates to my hdmi audio bug (I still suspect that one is on nvidia).

Sorry, but how would it know ?
If you mean, how would WIndows know if you've configured a network as metered, isn't that question obvious? Maybe you mean how would I know that it isn't "torrenting" to everyone else on the internet if the connection is metered? The default behavior of Windows 8 and above for the BranchCache services over metered network connections is "block" -- ie to deny the traffic movement over any network link which has the metered flag set. There are actually a number of "sub-flags" available for metered connections that applications can be tuned to leverage, but the simplest of them is "this is a metered connection" and BranchCache will not operate on that link.

There is no reason to believe this behavior has changed with Windows 10, simply because of the public pain it would invoke if the opposite was true. However, also keep in mind that the native WSUS (without torrent abilities) will continue to function over metered connections, but only for what they call "Priority" updates. This too is the default behavior of Windows 8 and above.

Finally, I was wrong about an upstream comment: Microsoft WIndows 8 and above will treat all mobile-broadband adapters as metered connections by default. This means that any onboard cell service in your tablet or laptop that exposes itself as a mobile broadband / dial-on-demand device is considered metered. Also worth noting that ethernet connections cannot be set as a metered device, so if you're using a broadband modem at home and have connected it via ethernet, you should be cognizant that (if left to OS config defaults and if your broadband provider is able to give you service that meets minimum latency and bandwidth requirements) your machine may start offering patches to others.

All things considered, unless you REALLY can't deal with it, I suggest everyone leave the "torrent-like" feature enabled, but restrict it to other PC's on your network rather than "also" over the internet.

Win10 Home has the option to disable the P2P update sharing.

But what's with the vertical scrolling now instead of horizontal? My wife isn't too pleased with the change in GUI on that front. And Edge browser bites for tablet browsing; no swipe features? Jerks.
I don't know what you mean by vertical scrolling, but I hear you on Edge's lack of swipe navigation.

Last edited:
Edge is also very, veery wonky on certain pages I've visited - most frequently encountered is simply massive slowdown when you try to interact with certain page elements - like clicking widgets, entering text and so on.

Gawker Media's Kinja discussion system is one of those affected; at least for me anyway. Mousing over avatar images makes the browser stop responding for seconds at a time before displaying the zoomed avatar image, frequently displaying the spinning-blue-circle, and generally just crappy performance, really. I also had massive flickering going on a certain page that showed a slideshow covering most of the window. 9to5Mac wonked out by flickering and dragging me back up to the top of the page every time I tried to scroll downwards... I'm sure I'm forgetting something here.

The last one was just once; other times the site has worked just fine.

I don't know what you mean by vertical scrolling, but I hear you on Edge's lack of swipe navigation.
When Win10 is set to tablet mode, the start menu interface scrolls top-to-bottom instead of left-to-right. I guess you would call this the former "metro" screen. Regardless, two years of Windows 8 on the Surface Pro has taught her to navigate left-to-right, she finds it clunky now.

Last edited:
W10 audio bug is discussed on Ars technica comment (page 2 and 3) with various brands

arstechnica.com/gaming/2015/08/gamers-its-safe-to-upgrade-to-windows-10/?comments=1&post=29499267#

It seems related to corrupted registry bug for audio settings since preview version.

There's also problem with multiple audio device and exclusive audio mode. The app randomly outputs to wrong audio device (at app start) if the selected output is not the default system audio device.

Edit:
The frequencies and bit depth trick can't work for DTS and Dolby issue because of how the trick fixed the problem.

I put a linknto the blog that explains it in the Ars comment. Can't really copy paste now. My phone can't multitask properly

Last edited:
Yikes!!
Windows 10 have YET ANOTHER audio bug. "Reversed channel".

try to use the "sound test" on playback device. It should be pinging from LEFT then RIGHT for correct audio. You can correct this issue (or trigger this issue) by haphazardly changing and applying "Default format" on "advanced" across different bit depth and frequency.

Yeah, as much as I've liked using W10 on my desktop-like devices, the experience on my wife's Surface is quite bad. Some of it can be worked around, like rearranging and resizing the start menu to look similar to how it once was.

But Edge truly sucks on a tablet interface; who thought it was smart to remove gestures? And the new OS behavior for swipe-down is to minimize the current app? And there is no longer an icon for displaying the desktop keyboard applet, which ended up screwing her last night when the "new" Skype for desktop refused to pop the keyboard for text entry for a chat window.

Maybe update 1 will suck less for tablets. Maybe.

And there is no longer an icon for displaying the desktop keyboard applet
Isn't that exactly the same as in Win 8/.1? Right click/long press task bar -> Properties -> Toolbars -> check Touch Keyboard box -> OK.

Or, if you want the ease of access style one, you can open that from the Ease of Access Center and pin it to the task bar once opened once.

Edit: I don't have Win 10 on my tablets yet, but they have even moved a shortcut to it to the right click on task bar (without the additional steps) in the release builds. Maybe it has to be set separately for desktop and tablet modes for convertibles?

Last edited:
No, the Win8 On-Screen-Keyboard isn't the same as the ease of access center app, and it isn't the toolbar function either. It's ... "something else". It's intuitive if you use Win8 on a surface device, I'm not sure how else to describe it other than it's conspicuously missing in W10.

Oh, you mean the "Metro-only OSK"? I thought that was considered redundant now and went away while the "desktop" touch keyboard (which is separate from the ease of access OSK) remained.

(Three separate on screen keyboards in Win 8/.1seemed a bit silly...)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back