The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt revealed

I run this game at all max settings except with Haiworx AA at 4x, resolution 2351x1323 downscaled to 1080p with DSR. I know that isn't much oversampling but to my eyes it makes a large difference and the perf hit is minimal on my 970.

BTW the GTX970 is the best GPU I've ever owned, 2nd best being the 6600GT (Which I got for Christmas as a kid cause Need For Speed 3 Hot Pursuit wouldn't run well on the Rage 128 32MB. It was my first "real" GPU. My dad made an excellent choice :) he even went through the graphics settings with me explaining which ones were important and which ones would kill my GPU (before I got the 6600, cause it could run everything)). The 970 rocks this game.

Last edited:
Does anyone know how to tweak the effectiveness of SMAA with SweetFX? How to improve the AA with it, I mean.
I briefly experimented with SweetFX when I was using a HD 7950. It was fun but a bit daunting. Anyway, I stumbled on a site you might fight useful. At the site I found a link to a download that might offer some insight to the settings you seek.
http://sfx.thelazy.net/games/preset/4022/
http://sfx.thelazy.net/games/?page=37

Edit: Have you seen this thread? http://forums.cdprojektred.com/thre...ixes-for-the-PC-version?p=1658887#post1658887

Last edited:
I briefly experimented with SweetFX when I was using a HD 7950. It was fun but a bit daunting. Anyway, I stumbled on a site you might fight useful. At the site I found a link to a download that might offer some insight to the settings you seek.
http://sfx.thelazy.net/games/preset/4022/
http://sfx.thelazy.net/games/?page=37

Edit: Have you seen this thread? http://forums.cdprojektred.com/thre...ixes-for-the-PC-version?p=1658887#post1658887

Thanks for the tip. I have, actually. I have a lot of those tweaks currently implemented, actually ;)

I love DSR, but the higher resolutions offer some serious performance hits. I'd rather play at 1920x1080 with an actual working form of MSAA, but nothing seems to work. It's pretty awful, even with SweetFX. It doesn't seem like any of the Nvidia control panel overrides actually do anything.

Last edited:
This game crashes on me pretty much always when I have GeForce Experience running. It can still crash when GFE isn't running but only when I do semi-weird stuff (alt-tabbing while DSR is on seems to be a good way to kill it).

Does anyone else have crashing problems? It seems to be the NV driver hanging. This is across multiple driver releases.

I had crashing a few weeks ago when using GF Exp but it's been fairly stable recently.

Using the latest? If so I'd try uninstalling using DDU then install again.
http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

Newest driver (353.62 - WHQL) as of July 29.
http://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/87783

Latest Geforce Experience? A new version is available (as of July 27)
http://www.geforce.com/geforce-experience/download

Edit: Just launched from GFE and played for about 20 min. with no issues using above drivers.

Last edited:
I had 2 CTD's shortly after launching game when it was on patch 1.04 but other than that no crashes at all for 140h+
R9 290X and W7Pro x64 here if you wonder.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt's latest patch is available now, CD Projekt Red announced today.
1.08 makes changes and improvements in the areas of performance, UI, gameplay, and graphics. Specifically, this patch adds "preparatory features" for The Witcher 3's upcoming New Game Plus mode.

It also clears up an aggravating achievements issue on PC and adds functionality to allow Geralt to perform a roll just before landing to reduce fall damage.

The patch is out now across PC, PlayStation 4, and Xbox One.

For more, check out the full 1.08 patch notes below.

Witcher 3 1.08

PERFORMANCE:

• Overall improvements to performance, including some issues that may have been caused by 1.07.
UI:

• [Japanese Only][PS4 Only] Fixes an issue where the background text of certain books would flicker.
  • Fixes an issue where part of the Kaer Morhen map would not display properly.
GAMEPLAY:

• Fixes a rare issue where items would disappear from the stash.
  • Fixes a very rare issue which would cause Geralt to get stuck when trying to run.
  • The interaction pop-up will no longer appear on lootable objects that are empty.
  • Fixes an occasional glitch in one of the dwarf combat animations.
  • Heads chopped off during finishers will no longer disappear.
  • Players can perform a roll just before landing to significantly reduce the damage caused by falling.
  • We've added a tutorial pop-up window explaining this to make it clearer."
  • In patch 1.07, the level requirements for certain items were scaled up, leaving some players stuck with only unusable gear. With patch 1.08, we are introducing the Wolven Hour potion. This potion will be available in everyone's inventory once they install the patch. It will reduce level requirements on all gear for a period of one hour. This will give players time to level up or find alternative equipment using the gear that was available to them in patch 1.05 but became unusable after patch 1.07. After one hour, the potion's effects will cease and the requirements for all gear will revert to their original, pre-potion values.
  • Fixes an issue where players were unable to compare their items with ones sold by merchants.
ACHIEVEMENTS:

• Players will now be able to complete the Card Collector achievement.
  • Achievements are now working properly again and will be unlocked if players meet their requirements after installing this patch (PC version).
GRAPHICS:

• Fixes an issue where interiors would sometimes not display properly on the minimap.
  • Fixes an issue where certain world elements would sometimes be missing and noticeable visual glitches would be present while in Novigrad.
QUEST:

• Fixes an issue where players were unable to finish the "It Takes Three to Tango" quest, even though they had obtained wine at the Kingfisher.
  • Fixes an issue where Geralt would sometimes die after traveling to Velen in the quest "Something Ends, Something Begins."
  • The entrance to the area where the Sunstone is obtained will no longer be blocked off if the player exits it prematurely during "The Sunstone" quest.
  • Fixes an issue where players were unable to complete the "Get Junior" quest on certain occasions.
  • Fixes an issue where players were unable to finish the "Scavenger Hunt: Viper School Gear" quest due to a closed gate.
  • Fixes an issue where some players were unable to investigate rooms during the "Family Matters" quest, effectively blocking their progression.
  • Fixes an issue where players were unable to finish the "Hey, You Wanna Look at my Stuff?" quest.
  • Fixes an issue where players were unable to talk to Roche during the "An Eye for an Eye" quest.
  • Fixes an issue where Roche would stay at his camp instead of going to the Oxenfurt Bridge in the "Get Junior" quest.
  • Fixes an issue where, under certain circumstances, Yennefer would not appear in Oxenfurt during the "The Great Escape" quest.
  • Drowners will have a harder time killing Nidas during the "Black Pearl" quest.
  • Fixes an issue which led to an infinite loading screen during the "To Bait a Forktail..." quest under certain circumstances.
  • Fixes a rare issue where the basement was locked during the "King's Gambit" quest.
  • Fixes an issue where players were unable to free the merchant during the Person in Distress event in the Claywich area.
  • The trolls at the Circle of Elements will no longer attack Geralt if he opts for a peaceful resolution.
  • Fixes an issue where players were unable to talk to Roche during the "Brothers in Arms" quest.
  • Fixes an issue where Zoltan's card was unobtainable.
GENERAL:

• Preparatory features paving the way for the introduction of New Game + in the future.

• Fixes an issue where players were unable to talk to Roche during the "Brothers in Arms" quest.

A pity that I had to suffer from that... Had to fail that part of the quest, luckily it wasn't game breaking, but still very annoying. I have stumbled some other bugs too, few times Geralt has lost his ability to dive under water and a few others as well, luckily most of them have been ok after a restart, but nothing helped with the Roche issue.

I have about 115h in it so far. I am at level 34 and have full mastercrafted Ursine gear. I have lot's of undiscovered things in Skellige, but I'm quite far in the main guest. It's been great, but next time I might wait a little longer to start playing to have more of the bugs ironed out and I started at 1.06 version now...

I've encountered my fair share of CTD's since the patch. However, I changed some video settings in the NVCP and it's been fine since.

Also. This belongs here:
CoQcVhv.png

I had crashing a few weeks ago when using GF Exp but it's been fairly stable recently.

Using the latest? If so I'd try uninstalling using DDU then install again.
http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

Newest driver (353.62 - WHQL) as of July 29.
http://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/87783

Latest Geforce Experience? A new version is available (as of July 27)
http://www.geforce.com/geforce-experience/download

Edit: Just launched from GFE and played for about 20 min. with no issues using above drivers.

Funny that you should say that you have had crashes. So have I. I thought it was the DSR though but see you mention GeForce Exprience. That might be it. Will disable for the moment.

Well after 121h I finished the main quest, well actually I had to use my special powers and go back in time! to change one event few hours prior to the finish to get the ending I wanted. I don't know if I'll go back to clear Skellige out of the question marks. Perhaps I'll start another game next.

Certainly got my moneys worth with this game.

Well after 121h I finished the main quest, well actually I had to use my special powers and go back in time! to change one event few hours prior to the finish to get the ending I wanted. I don't know if I'll go back to clear Skellige out of the question marks. Perhaps I'll start another game next.

Certainly got my moneys worth with this game.
Did you see this post regarding different endings?
http://www.vg247.com/2015/05/28/the-witcher-3-how-to-get-the-best-ending/

Yup, I used that to see what I should have done differently. Luckily I was only one decision short of getting the better ending and one key moment was pretty close to the end, so only had to do maybe 2h max extra hours.

Do you mean trip to see certain dad? I did that and stuck to my decisions, will do it differently when playing 2nd time :)

Do you mean trip to see certain dad? I did that and stuck to my decisions, will do it differently when playing 2nd time :)

No later than that and what seemingly I felt was an insignificant thing. I spoiler it just in case.
At first playthrough I accompanied Ciri when she talked with the mages about her future at Dandelion's place. Apparently it ruined Ciri's confidence during the final battle and she died. :) By changing that I got the Witcher ending.

Weird, just received the achievements for finishing the game though I'm nowhere near finishing. Must be a bug.

I'm 37 hours in and doing the bloody baron quest now. Playing with Ciri is kinda fun as she is so much more agile.

I must say that I wished the game was a bit more linear like Witcher 2 though. The world is so big, and there are so many icons of stuff that you can check out that it's a bit overwhelming. Worst part is that you don't really know when you can go where as chances are you are not strong enough. I'm still only level 8 so most places I can't go yet. I keep checking things out, but most of the time I'm not strong enough. This kinda turns the whole exploration thing into a to do list which is too bad as I love just walking around in the game world.

Another thing that annoys me is equipment. Even quite early in the game I found diagrams that require you to be level 16 or 35 or something like that, but there is hardly any fun gear for my level. So I keep gathering these equipment diagrams that I will eventually never use because I'll only craft the strongest one. They could have dispersed the diagrams a bit more evenly so you don't run into high level stuff while you are still low level. Would keep finding diagrams more exiting that way.

Worst part is that you don't really know when you can go where as chances are you are not strong enough.

Sticking my nose where it was going to get broken off by something much higher level than me one of the funnest aspects of the game. What I found though is that if you generally follow the main quest, this will take you to the key areas of the game. Once the main quest has taken you to a place, you can generally explore the surrounding areas (like a mile or so) without too many problems. And if you run into something much higher level, you can always run :yes:

Another thing that annoys me is equipment. Even quite early in the game I found diagrams that require you to be level 16 or 35 or something like that, but there is hardly any fun gear for my level.

There isn't a huge amount of gear for your level and you'll pick up an insane amount of crafting recipes for equipment that you'll never every craft. For the most part I found the best armour was looted until I started on the witcher gear. I think the crafting recipes are included as an alternative revenue stream so rather than selling crafting components for peanuts, you can craft them into gear and sell them for more.

I guess that explains why tongue_of_colicab got an achievement for finishing the game.

Except the last update broke achievements rather than fixing them. I got achievements for something I never did but when I finished the shrieker contract yesterday it didn't unlock the achievement.

I still got an old save so maybe I'll try reloading that one. Maybe its because I unlocked the quest by walking into the cave myself rather than getting the the quest on one of the boards in town?

There now also is a bandit camp that makes the crash to desktop when you come close.

Back