Modern AAA games are boring. How to fix?

Commenter

Newcomer
Highly subjective opinion I realise, but it's no different to saying all modern hollywood movies are crap or rehashes of old half decent films. I'm not talking about the indie scene but actual high production value games, the equivalent of the hollywood blockbuster if you like.

Do you think AAA games can be saved with game design or improved technology, or is AAA destined to be rehash upon rehash of previous ideas. I mean Call of Duty is really jsut glorified doom when you think about it, and games with AAA production and new ideas are rare these days.

The budget for aaa seems to me like it enforces middle of the road safe generic titles to maximise the chance of return of investment / profit. Funding I would guess is the issue.

The only way i can see it changing is if more developers goto crowd funding and people are willing to back a novel idea.

Early access on console also seems a good step but thats curated so unlikely to foster anything different at this time.

I think more people go through this phase than you think. It's easy to burn out playing games, sometimes the best thing to do is to stop playing them and devote the time to another hobby.

Or, stop playing what you regularly play and play something else. So right now you are bored with AAA, it is a good time to look at Indie games and genres you normally may not play.

Yeah, I agree with the above.

The games I play and enjoy the most at the moment are definitely indies; I'm a total Splunkey addict. Even if after watching a replay of the top player on the leaderboards a couple of days I've realised how bad I am at it.

Absolutely don't agree. The opposite is true imo.

Most A or AA games are boring...and don't start talking about indie games...

I would say any developer helping make a "AAA" game should have to make an Atari 2600 game AND beat ET on the Atari 2600. If you can do both, you can probably help make a "AAA" game better than crap.

Absolutely don't agree. The opposite is true imo.

Most A or AA games are boring...and don't start talking about indie games...

Yeah, I kinda view things the same way as you. Production values are very important for me and most of the 0 to 5 million budget games just simple can't have 'em. And another problem is that my fav games are open world (or at least hub based) and by nature those games require a lot of resouces. Modern graphics, modern voice acting, storylines, world building, writing, side activities, longevity... Games like Witcher 3 and GTA 5 did the impossible. Bar is set REALLY high. I'm jealous of those who can enjoy a simple indie game annd then complain about how bad AAA games are in various messageboard.

Reduce risk so developers and publishers are more incline to take them. Cheap, easy to use middleware is helping things and I think it will continue to improve but as long a big budget titles keep raising production cost expectations, the cost walls like asset creation, voice work (multi language), advertising costs will continue to be huge barriers for taking risks.

There is no easy fix but you will still get some games that in their respective genres that make a breakthrough or create a new genre.

I wonder if the uncanny valley has something to do with it? I remember I used to get a lot more immersed in games in the past when they were obviously fake, but now that things are close enough to reality it sometimes feels 'wrong'.

Just playing with something/one else. Exercise. Have a break.

That's basically what I did. Not playing much at all lately, going to the beach regularly, exercising, exploring the city, etc. I have currently 32 games in my Steam library and another 86 in my wishlist, yet I've just really lost interest in most of it. Heck I don't even visit this forum much anymore. Maybe it's just a phase? Not sure. But I figured something was up when I had three weeks alone at home and was still only able to get through about 30% of GTA5, and then tried playing Watch Dogs and just didn't seem to care. Indie games still have a little interest if they are unique (I'm liking Kentucky Route Zero and The Detail for example) but what I've really gotten back into oddly enough is pinball, I've been playing a whole bunch of that lately. I think Fallout 4 will pull me back though but aside from that game there isn't anything AAA that i care for at the moment.

AAA games are turning into Hollywood blockbusters, lots of sfx, no substance, congrats on reaching your goal of making meaningless entertainment guys !
;p

AAA games are turning into Hollywood blockbusters, lots of sfx, no substance, congrats on reaching your goal of making meaningless entertainment guys !
;p
Do you guys even play games???
Absolutely not true.
The only games nowadays that entertain and offer progress in the medium are AAA games.

Of course, there are exceptions. And obviously, not all AAA games are automatically good.

Rediculous pointless generalisations thread is ridiculous and pointless.

Seriously, NeoGAF shits this kind of baseless unarguable attention-grabber out on the hour, every hour.

Back