AMD ATI Drivers BSOD

I updated my Kaveri rig with 15.7. Also there seems to be Windows Update waited to be installed completely upon restart. After both thing installed, my PC is experiencing hang up when simply using a browser (I tried chrome and ie windows 8.1). I downgraded the GPU driver and still experiencing the same stuff. Right now I'm in a middle of troubleshooting. Yay PC Gaming!

Yay PC Gaming!
Ugh, I feel your pain, man!

Installed the latest AMD WHQL yesterday, start Folding@Home. ...No, the bug where downclocking the GPU via catalyst control center does not affect compute jobs is still present. Fans still roaring, card still belching heat, in the middle of summer (although the coldest summer on modern record over here...)

Re-installing the OS isn't something you just do on a whim anymore either, not with the absolutely massive number of windows update patches you have to download. On my windows 7 rig with an install disc from the earliest days of the OS, I think it's somewhere around 250 updates to get the OS fully patched and up to date... :LOL: WHAT a nightmare!

Even my Win8 box is probably at 150 patches by now.

Re-installing the OS isn't something you just do on a whim anymore either, not with the absolutely massive number of windows update patches you have to download. On my windows 7 rig with an install disc from the earliest days of the OS, I think it's somewhere around 250 updates to get the OS fully patched and up to date... :LOL: WHAT a nightmare!

You can download and install Microsoft.Windows.7.Ultimate.SP1.x64.Integrated.January.2015. The pain and nightmare should be more acceptable. ;)

But given that Windows 10 is around the corner... then.... you know. :D

The biggest mistake of yours would be to expect problems-free experience with geforce. It will be the same, depending on what exactly you are doing.

Well I will deal with it when I get it. One more week. :)

Will be doing a fresh install soon enough anyway due to the new Samsung 850 Evo I bought but I will install the 980 Ti first and check if I have the same issue with BF4. If I do then it's a bad installation somewhere. If I don't, it's the AMD drivers.

As I said before though, the 13.9 drivers work 100% in Battlefield except every time I start the game up it asks me up updated my driver. Then there's the performance loss with other games if I don't update the driver. Been playing Witcher 3 with the 13.9 then updated to the latest 15.7 and was surprised and how much smoother the game was over 13.9.

So, install 13.9 and get to play BF4 or install 15.7 and have smoother fps/visuals in other games.

Well haven't played BF4 in a while to say the least.

Well, got my Galax GTX 980 Ti installed on my old PC. Just changed the memory too as my new memory was higher than the old.

And so went to test BF4. Got in no hassles. So it was the AMD drivers as I suspected.

Anyways, the new GPU runs BF4 at 200fps at the highest settings. So impressed. :D

d36.png

Will install my new hardware sometime soon which includes the 4790k on an ASUS Z97 Maximus 7 Hero Motherboard with 2400MHz GSkill Memory and a Samsung 850 EVO SSD.

Current setup with the updates are 2600k overclocked to 4.5Ghz on ASUS P8Z68 Pro V Motherboard with 2400MHz(at 1923Mhz) GSkill Memory.

2ceso5j.jpg

2ufg4cj.jpg

Last edited:
Hmm, I've had two driver crashes ingame in CSGO, while I played with DSR at 4K so changed to normal HD but last night it crashed but still recovered and kept me ingame. Not sure what's going on or if the GeForce Expreience is causing the problem.

At least I can still play BF4

Had a BSOD the other day just by opening a new tab in Edge browser with a SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED. Not sure if the graphics drivers can really be blamed for it though; the culprit may or may not have been dxgmms2.sys (no idea what that is or what it does); it's mentioned at the top of the list in BlueScreenView, but who knows if the order of that list even has any real relevance at all? *shrug*

Back