DX12 Performance Discussion And Analysis Thread

With Windows 10 launch today we should expect some sites to do DX12 performance tests on the various venders GPU's.

Please use this thread to post any that you find or any issues or data regarding performance of DX12.

- IMO - it is quite immature to measure D3D12 performance now and in the next couple of months

Se us @November-DEcember 2015 :)

Without any real GAMES software using DX12 it doesn't really matter how good (or not) current drivers are, hehe! :)

As you say Alessio, we should come back in a buncha months' time and try again...!

Is it possible that Arkham Knight will have a Dx12 makeover for the re-release @ October/November or is it too much to ask from Rocksteady at this point? It would be a great game to test Dx12 with if that is possible.

Is it possible that Arkham Knight will have a Dx12 makeover for the re-release @ October/November or is it too much to ask from Rocksteady at this point? It would be a great game to test Dx12 with if that is possible.
I thought people where expecting nothing of it anymore, or only that it would work as advertised at all...
Although it might be a good idea from WB to enhance it that way for free as an apology to there customers...

They are planning to fix it before they re-release it. That's why i said it's possible to switch to Dx12 or they may already have done that. Dx12 code should be more similar with the X1, am i correct? The current AK code is Dx11/Dx10 (if you enable Nvidia effects).

What about OpenGL games, will they benefit automatically from any API improvements, or do they need to be specifically coded for it just like with DX12?

I somewhat doubt it will be soon... ARK is an UE4 game, and AFAIK, DX12 is support was recently moved from NDA'd branch to 4.9 branch, which is in its first preview which means very unstable. If 4.8 is any indication, it will take at least a month from Preview to Release, which then developers are encouraged to update their projects to...

Also now that Windows 10 is no longer BETA and the GPU vendors have polished their drivers it would be good to see current results and a follow-up to this article:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9112/exploring-dx12-3dmark-api-overhead-feature-test

It will be interesting to see the DX11 huge advantage of NV over AMD fading away - and see how it will relate to (new) game performances. Especially since Windows 10 seems to receive alot of positive reviews (except that it puts automatically my Bitlocker key on an US server for my safety, as well as storing sharing my wifi password with skype&facebook contacts by default, all emails text with cortana etc...)

I somewhat doubt it will be soon... ARK is an UE4 game, and AFAIK, DX12 is support was recently moved from NDA'd branch to 4.9 branch, which is in its first preview which means very unstable. If 4.8 is any indication, it will take at least a month from Preview to Release, which then developers are encouraged to update their projects to...
I think they plan to release mid August according to the latest developer post 12 hours ago.

We won’t have it quite ready for public use the day that Windows 10 becomes available, however we are planning on releasing it by mid-August. We understand it’s going to be a very important change and we just want to ensure that everything is running smoothly before shipping it out to you all, however we’re all very excited about it!

http://steamcommunity.com/app/346110/discussions/0/613957600545694189/#c535152276584974876

Edit: Link fixed.

What about OpenGL games, will they benefit automatically from any API improvements, or do they need to be specifically coded for it just like with DX12?
Specifically coded for it or it takes the old path :)

What API improvements? I haven't heard about any improvements coming to the OpenGL API. Khronos seems to be more focused to bring Vulkan out. Vulkan API is close to Mantle, but far away from OpenGL. You need to rewrite your OpenGL rendering code completely if you want to switch to Vulkan.

What API improvements? I haven't heard about any improvements coming to the OpenGL API.
Well my bad then! I thought/assumed the new-and-improved stuff would be folded in under the OpenGL moniker just like was the case with DirectX, to build on their already well-known trademark and things like that. It would have made sense - at least to me. :p

Back