Rocket League [PS4, XO]

Arwin

Now Officially a Top 10 Poster
Legend

Apparently this game is really good and a success despite no-one reviewing it (partly due to being very popular with the streaming crowd). The game is basically soccer with cars that can jump ... Also it has cross platform multiplayer between PS4 and Steam.

Oh, and it's apparently free on Playstation Plus.

Last edited:
Yep, it's free on Playstation Plus this month - very good it is too.

I'm not into football at all, but I really enjoy this game; it's hectic fun. You can boost, jump and kind of fly using a combination of them both.

Also, not to get too off-topic immediately, this game with its PC and PS4 cross-platform play reminds me that I think the current division between console games and PC games doesn't make that much sense either. GAF now typically has a game thread, and then where necessary a Game Performance thread which contains most of the PC specific stuff. I think that could work here too.

It's more fun than 99.9% of the games out today. My three kids and I have been playing four-way split screen like mad. This includes my oldest who hardly plays any games.

Yep, very simple, fun and rewarding game.

Yep!

The game is mechanically very simple, cars drive and "kick" a ball. But that shouldn't be confused for a lack of depth!

There is a massive amount of room for strategy and skill to separate casual players from the very skilled definitely.

I have already seen players employ "play-making" strategies with ball-positioning and player-positioning. A good solo-player can on their own set themselves up for an easy shot by rebounding the ball at the side of the goal post (which is very easy, because the "goal posts" are a wall which extends across the arena).... the ball will bounce back in front of the net and if timed right often leads to an easy goal. Very similar to the hockey concept of "crashing the net" or rebounding the puck off the wall behind the net.

I have also already witnessed (and been a part of) genuine "passing" for assists on goals. It is really something to behold.

The simplicity and intuitive nature of "ball physics" lets players simply manipulate the game to the limit of their abilities (timing is very important) which is amazing.

The whole concept of "centering the ball" (for which you get points) is an extension of real soccer/football play. And not only do you get "points" for the action as measured by the game, but it is fundamentally sound to the game of football/soccer and Rocket League, because it actually leads to goal opportunities!

Kind of like sports IRL! It's the first game I can think of that really translates the experience of the randomness and freedom of sports in real life into a game scenario.

I think being physics-based is very important in that regard. The physics and "game/universe rules" are very accommodating to vast disparities in skill-based play because they are so simple and absolute, and by that token leave massive room for potential of the coordination of the players within that physics-based game system.

And that is very impressive!

Last edited:
Just grabbed this today on PC. 8 hours later I'm still playing it. Pure addiction!

Somehow the game is fun. It is certainly not the best game, but it is kinda fun. The camera is a bit difficult, but this lies imo in the nature of such a game. The physics are sometimes a bit weird to me.

But, nevertheless, I come back to this game once in a while and try to beat the AI...lol, I am still struggling with the second diffulty setting.

more than 1v1 is frantic...I can't wait for the next party where my PhD students (all play Fifa and love soccer) get beaten by me in this special soccer game :mrgreen:

Yes. I'm really looking forward to playing this split-screen when friends come over.

So far I leave the camera on ball mode 100% of the time and just forget about switching, even when I probably should, like going for a corner boost or when the ball is right above me.

The AI is very good. Played a few games of unranked and after my team mates dropped out I got matched up with two bots. They carried me for several games. They so aggressively pursue the ball that I felt it was better to hang back and defend. Haven't played against them yet though; I just dived straight into ranked as soon as I finished the tutorials and didn't look back.

I think 1v1 might be the best arena to learn the game as you have to do everything yourself and it's not nearly as random. You can see what strategies or tricks people are using effectively. One I've not figured out how to beat yet is when the opponent waits at the goal line on 'kick-off'. The only way I can see they've done it is if I take a less than optimal path to the ball, which isn't good if they haven't done that. Typically I strike the ball and they get the long range return back into my net.

The team games are really fun when you have team mates who understand how to play off the ball. It's basically just a clusterfuck when you have most or all of your team charging the ball at the same time. I'm not sure there is anything more annoying in this game than being barged off the ball by your own team mate when you otherwise had a clear path.

Decent audio interview with the devs here: http://uk.ign.com/videos/2015/07/28/the-future-of-rocket-league

Notable points:
  • 3v3 team ranked will be here very shortly - very happy about this as I play with a couple of buddies regularly
  • Spectator mode will be in the next content patch
  • Paid for DLC looks to be purely cosmetic
  • Working with ESL to encourage the eSports side of things
  • The new map coming soon will be the standard layout
Sounds to me like the guys IGN interviewed really do enjoy playing the game themselves and are motivated to making it a good experience beyond purely financial incentives.

Why would this game cost even remotely that much to make?
When companies cost projects (including games) it's generally the full economic cost: salaries, bonuses, insurance, accommodation and facilities, licensing costs for software and tools, graphics artists, music, studio costs, taxes - the whole shebang. It's amazing how quickly things begin to add up even for a small team over 2 years. There are six key people credited on the Rocket League Wikipedia page and Psyonix has more than 30 people and you don't know how many were involved in all over the two years.

Back