Wolfenstein: The New Order

Sxotty

Legend
So I saw this yesterday and thought I would post it. Of course when doing so it popped up the similar thread in the console forum. I don't venture in there myself though so thought some might have missed it.
Console thread
http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=63492

Here is the gamespot preview and youtube announcment trailer.

http://www.gamespot.com/features/re...tein-the-new-order-6408113/?tag=Topslot;Slot1

Anyway I like the devs working on this and have high hopes it will be good. I always quite liked wolfenstein and this seems like a fun twist they are doing on it. It is on id tech 5 again so everyone can start raging immediately :) HAHAHAH Personally I am happy about it. The shooter experience for me personally always felt very solid in id engines so I was happy they were using it.

Yeah ! I love tech 5, those super pretty visuals running at 1920X1080 @60fps is super bliss. Super light tech with capability of fantastic visuals. I want more and more games to go Tech 5.

I am glad Bethesda is spreading it to most of its games.

And yes : BRING BACK NAZIS :devilish: : gaming feels dry and dead without them !

It is on Rage's engine, tech 6 would be new and that will be a long time coming. I don't know if recycling is the word I would use though as opposed to using the rage engine.

ID tech 5 though is still awesome from my perspective and as I said hundreds of times you don't have to make every bit of the world unique. It can be used for tiling repetitive textures as well. Reading the preview it implied machine games wasn't going to waste their time trying to make every single place unique in the world which is a good thing. It will save tons of resources and cut down development time. It will make the file sizes smaller which means higher res textures can be used. I remember people searching for spots in rage that tiled and finding some in very obscure places, but seriously if you have to spend tons of time searching for tiled textures then you are already winning the texture battle :)

Id was silly IMO trying to make everything so unique. The advantage of being able to do something doesn't mean one should always do it. It was just a tool allowing cool things to be done more easily, but if overused could reduce to perceived quality.

I remember people searching for spots in rage that tiled and finding some in very obscure places, but seriously if you have to spend tons of time searching for tiled textures then you are already winning the texture battle :)

Heh, well almost. The textures in Rage look pretty bad up close IMO. However from a distance they are unparalleled.

I do agree that it's a waste of resources trying to make every texture unique, provided there is no obvious tiling of textures. The look of some otherwise gorgeous games is ruined by tiling textures, especially open world with long draw distances.
It's disturbing when you look out over a field and the same 4x4 patch of grass is repeated a thousand times all over it.

Console ports suffer the most from this in my experience. I think it's because the games are designed to be played with little to no AF on consoles, where you can't notice the issue anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
Heh, well almost. The textures in Rage look pretty bad up close IMO. However from a distance they are unparalleled.

Yeah I agree, though I really liked the tradeoff I have to admit it made it have a character that most games don't have, the graffiti and stuff all over.

Anyway my point was they could do higher dpi textures if there was a little more repetition. So it might make you happier if they did that.

Bought this during the summer sale, and I'm sorry I did. Complete fucking bullshit, this game. Do this, do that, pull that lever, down that hatch... Sprint out of that airplane or you die. Oh, by the way, there's an amateurishly cobbled-together and poorly animated invincible steel dog coming at you. Chomp chomp! Ha ha you died, now I'm reloading the entire level even though there's no reason to.

Fuck you, you fucking piece of shit game.

I enjoyed it but yeah it is definitely a traditional linear corridor shooter. Which is what most shooters are...

The gameplay is quite oldschool but that's not a problem IMO.
I don't recall all these timed events where you MUST do X or else you absolutely positively WILL die regardless how much health (or not) you have in REAL oldschool games. Also, checkpoint autosaving all the time, due to said events. In real oldschool games, there's no checkpoints.

Also, there's cover gameplay, which is just ¤€*%$&@£!!! Especially on a PC; it feels incredibly awkward with that cover bullshit when playing with a mouse and keyboard. I don't NEED to press a button to take cover, because I can like, duck AND aim just fine anyway, thankyouverymuch! A pox on Epic for inventing that shit in the first place, and another on all the other devs copycatting their bad ideas.

Bought this during the summer sale, and I'm sorry I did. Complete fucking bullshit, this game. Do this, do that, pull that lever, down that hatch... Sprint out of that airplane or you die. Oh, by the way, there's an amateurishly cobbled-together and poorly animated invincible steel dog coming at you. Chomp chomp! Ha ha you died, now I'm reloading the entire level even though there's no reason to.

Fuck you, you fucking piece of shit game.
The Old Blood (apparently a slightly cut-down reworking of The New Order Edit: I don't mean reworking, do I? I mean, like, all different levels and stuff. Ummm... like a mini-sequel. Like Mysteries of the Sith, I guess?) has been $5 on sale, so I'll be trying that first, and getting The New Order if I fancy more. Anyone else on the fence might want to keep an eye out for another cheap The Old Blood price, too. :)

Oh, I mixed it up. I have the new order, liked it a lot and finished it!

I thought the discussion was about the old blood expansion!

How is the expansion in comparison?

Wow. I've been playing FPSes for decades, since Doom II. I usually play on the hardest difficulty, or if I want to complete a game quickly, the second-hardest. I get through dozens of games every year. I've been accused of using Aimbot in competitive multiplayer FPSes like Counter-Strike. I'm extremely experienced and definitely an above-average player.

But I had to look up a guide for this game to see how to make changes to the advanced graphics settings take effect. /o\

(After you make any changes, a new "Apply" option invisibly appears at the top of the list of options.)

Wow. I've been playing FPSes for decades, since Doom II. I usually play on the hardest difficulty, or if I want to complete a game quickly, the second-hardest. I get through dozens of games every year. I've been accused of using Aimbot in competitive multiplayer FPSes like Counter-Strike. I'm extremely experienced and definitely an above-average player.

But I had to look up a guide for this game to see how to make changes to the advanced graphics settings take effect. /o\

(After you make any changes, a new "Apply" option invisibly appears at the top of the list of options.)

I did not have this issue.

I'm clearing my backlog now and [thankfully] I'm currently playing through Old Blood DLC. Very enjoyable campaign, although with much less character investment than TNO had [which was one of the main reasons of what made that game so fucking awesome].

Even though idTech5 definitely shows its old age in 2016, game still looks mighty fine.

wolfenstein_theoldblosmj3b.png

wolfenstein_theoldblovaju1.png

wolfenstein_theoldblo1ujd2.png

Back