Diablo 3 - Gamepad Edition

I think it's just that in general it looks nicer when big mobs explode with items. After a while at level 70 you stop picking up yellows altogether, but I find it somewhat cathartic to pick through mountains of loot for the good stuff, leaving piles of it behind. I get to feel like Bill Gates ignoring the 100$ on the sidewalk.

I finally got almost every item you all recommended and the game is maybe a little too easy even at Torment VI. I've only completed Greater Rift 31 solo, but the demons almost melt against my skill level. I still die a few times, but that is usually due to running into post-demon ice/poison/explosions.

Paragon level 205 and can' wait until the new patch.

Geezus, is it really that bad of a feeling that you'd flush all that time spent? It's pretty clear to people who read your posts that you never willingly or purposefully cheated.
It's not just the bad feeling of increasing your Paragon level by almost 200 levels in a few minutes, which is algs a main factor of course, but the fact that I feel kinda bad playing with a character I didn't fully develop by my own merits, like a sense of ownership lost.

There's lots of ways to cheat. As mentioned before its with modded gear. You can check when you open your inventory go to the party tab. Cheaters have stuff like gear with multiple sockets, maxed out stats etc. AFAIK only pre 2.0 gear can be modded. Another way is boosted paragon, which you've indirectly done. Of course, there's duping.

That sucks... I know players that have done that... I dunno... I dont think you need to wipe. Its only 150 paragon which isnt a lot. Maybe a week of playing. You didnt receive any modded gear so imo you're still clean in my book lol. Oh, and DH is naturally squishy. One hit deaths are pretty common for DH lol

Thats why we're getting Torment X in 2.3 ;-)
Thanks for the explanation once again. I don't think Ancient gear can make what those players are achieving: super speeds, super xp, super damage, incredible resistance to everything. Odd skills combined, very weird..

I wonder how they achieve that. I thought they can't use a editor on consoles, but the stuff that you see is so crazy they must be edited.

I'd reset mine. It's not that I'd be worried about what other people thought - I couldn't care less. It's that feeling of ownership over your progression, which is a very important hook in games like D3. When you're kicking ass and crawling up the difficulty levels you want that sense of pride in what you've accomplished.

The other aspect is that if you look at the success of seasons on PC, many people actually prefer to start over from the beginning periodically. There's fun to be revisited when you're not min/maxing and each item drop could be a major buff.
Yup, more or less my opinion on the matter.

Seasons is a mixed bag for me. You start from scratch, which is nice, but I think Hardcore mode can also be potentially very engaging and fun.

The most fun had in these games IMO is in the beginning when you're low level and every bit of gear could be valuable. Going from 4-5 dmg a hit to 7-8 is a significant increase. You only get that on the start of these loot-and-level games. After a while the numbers go up astronomically but the actual real-world difference is generally zilch. In real terms, your damage is measured in hits-to-kill-a-mob. Regardless of whether you're doing 10 damage or 10 million, if it takes three hits to kill a mob, it takes three hits. If a new bit of gear doesn't change that three hits to kill a mob, its bigger numbers don't mean much.

I suppose in D3's case it's the progression to levels that matters. Each item itself doesn't really change anything in the current playthrough, but it will up your numbers a little so at some point you reach a threshold value and can try the harder levels.

But the impact of treasure finding doesn't last that long. I was play D3 online with a buddy the other day (old and inferior and not patched or upgraded, wasted money version) and the loot part comes down to waiting for legendaries. All the other drops are worthless - one wonders why have them?
That's a very smart, excellent post. I got to level 5 yesterday with my new DH. The game is at a time where every little thing counts.

It's where Diablo 3 reminds me the most of Diablo 2. I went from a bow dealing 2 to 7 damage to other dealing 4 to 11 damage, on Expert -the maximum difficulty level you can choose when you start from scratch- and the difference is staggering.

Plus, this time around I am going to go with the most fun build for a DH -for me at least- with skills like Bolas (or similar ones), Multi Shot-Elemental Arrow... we shall see, and things like that. Rain of Vengeance is cool, so I will keep it.

The game is now at its best and it feels like when you were brawling with monsters in Diablo 2. It takes a while to beat them and they don't 1 hit kill you either.

At Paragon level 438 -and before that, too-, my DH was literally pulverising monsters with one hit on most difficulties, save on tough Greater Rifts -level 30 Greater Rifts and above-. If you get the Crashing Rain belt, you can deal like 1,800.000.000 damage in the first hit, or more... :oops::oops:with a legitimate character.

When Rain of Vengeance touches the gorund, the monsters around just almost disappear. It's quite impressive, and at the same time, unchallenging and drab.

The game reflects your accomplishments in ways that aren't fun when you can be so powerful and monsters are just too powerful too, especially because they punch really hard, and you die in a single hit.

It's get to a match of very few hits rather than a challenging confrontation where your skills are fun to use and you can see their effects on monsters and the monsters' skills effects on you more clearly.

That's something that Diablo 2 didn't lose when you were at higher difficulty levels, that struggle with monsters, that patience to beat them. My Werewolf druid was superb fun, slapping monsters for a while before beating them in Hell difficulty.

I think it's just that in general it looks nicer when big mobs explode with items. After a while at level 70 you stop picking up yellows altogether, but I find it somewhat cathartic to pick through mountains of loot for the good stuff, leaving piles of it behind. I get to feel like Bill Gates ignoring the 100$ on the sidewalk.
I stopped using Rares pretty late, at Paragon level 70 or so. I had a rare Helm I had gotten somewhere and no legendary item topped it in the stats I wanted it to have. It was a good 70 paragon levels before switching to a legendary item.

The most fun had in these games IMO is in the beginning when you're low level and every bit of gear could be valuable. Going from 4-5 dmg a hit to 7-8 is a significant increase. You only get that on the start of these loot-and-level games. After a while the numbers go up astronomically but the actual real-world difference is generally zilch. In real terms, your damage is measured in hits-to-kill-a-mob. Regardless of whether you're doing 10 damage or 10 million, if it takes three hits to kill a mob, it takes three hits. If a new bit of gear doesn't change that three hits to kill a mob, its bigger numbers don't mean much.

I suppose in D3's case it's the progression to levels that matters. Each item itself doesn't really change anything in the current playthrough, but it will up your numbers a little so at some point you reach a threshold value and can try the harder levels.

But the impact of treasure finding doesn't last that long. I was play D3 online with a buddy the other day (old and inferior and not patched or upgraded, wasted money version) and the loot part comes down to waiting for legendaries. All the other drops are worthless - one wonders why have them?
I am going to use your comments to compare Diablo 3 vs Diablo 2. I love both games, but I am going to use your post as the basis to explain where, imho, Diablo 3 fails compared to Diablo 2, since I praised Diablo 3 very much, but didn't compare it to the classic Diablo 2.

- Smart loot: This is a tough choice. Smart loot makes sense to some extent. If you are playing a Barbarian, you get mostly Barbarian compatible items. Same for other classes. Problem is that it's like monsters only have Barbarian focused loot if you play a Barbarian, and you get the (very) odd Wizard, DH, Crusader, etc, stuff from ime to time. This means that each character is good for Magic Find on its own, no need for Ali Babas on a barbarian to start looting crucial monsters, and that you won't see bows or staffs, rare, magic or legendary...

I mean, my Werewolf Druid loved the Ribcracker staff in Diablo 2, but it'd be almost impossible to find in Diablo 3 if not with, say.. a wizard.

http://diablo.wikia.com/wiki/Ribcracker

- Monsters charisma: Diablo 3 lacks charisma when it comes to monsters. In Diablo 2 every single player knew Mephisto, Pindleskin, The Countess, Rakanishu.. There was some background to them. And they were mythical and legendary.

I remember well SuperUnique monstes like Shenk, Frozenstein -my favourite, most fun name of them all!!-, Sszark the Burning -a spider-, Witch Doctor Endugu, Andariel, Duriel, Coldcrow, Blood Raven, Izual, Lord de Seis, Eldritch, AND my favourite monster, design wise, Ancient Kaa the Soulless. :)

kaa.jpg

I don't have recognisable monsters in Diablo 3. They exist, but there isn't a legendary easy and fast run like Pndleskin, or Mephisto. Every monster can drop about everything, as long as you set Torment difficulty levels. Jacks of all trades masters of none.

- Areas 85 and Monster Level: Diablo 2 had certain areas where monsters had a very high level and could drop extremely high level stuff. Some monsters had very special and unique monster levels themselves, like the aforementioned Pindleskin. You learnt to recognise those areas, where now I don't know where to go or which level I am going to play.

- Magic Find: I miss that in Diablo 2 you could build a great character to confront monsters but also you had the option to build a weaker character meant for magic finding. That was a great differentiator and one sacrificed survival for best items, while the other sacrificed getting best items for survival.

Now Magic Find is automatic. :( Plus legendaries and sets are mostly useless, because they drop so often, especially as your Paragon levels increase. Paragon adds more Magic Find by itself, which is rather dull.

You don't have an option, and that's it. Sure that now legendaries are discarded as they drop, 'cos most of them aren't useful, but sometimes it's better to drop less so the player is quite engaged in finding certain stuff.

- Mythical items: People dreamt about getting the mythical Unique items (legendaries where called uniques) like the famous Windforce, the so famous sword called The Grandfather, the entire Tal Rasha set -so hard to come by-, the super high item level uniques like the Stormspire (where are the Threshers in Diablo 3 btw? I loved that design).

Now legendaries -instead of Uniques- drop so often and with insubstantial stats that there isn't stuff you have that people covet so much :( . Plus legendaries also are given via gifts that also drop often. In Diablo 2, a player with a Windforece or a The Grandfather had an halo of an unreachable status.

http://diablo2.diablowiki.net/Stormspire

What Shifty call Treasure Finding: The thing is that the Windforce was such a treasure that a player with it was automatically rich. Before the duping started at least.

Difficulty: Diablo 3 sports a few more difficulty levels, but their point is that the more difficulty the more life monsters have and they harder they punch. Fighting in Diablo 3 is also different. In Diablo 2 it felt like a 1vs1 brawl, while Diablo 3 is more about area damage. Hence stats like Hit Recovery, that were essential in Diablo 2 or Dexterity -which helped with % chance to hit and % to evade being hit- are now useless (Hit Recovery) or ended up as being only attack stats (Dexterity, the more dexterity you have doesn't mean monsters will have a harder time hitting you anymore)

Hell was a bit of hell for most builds, and death was around the corner every time. When you can clear Torment VI pretty easily -death is possible though, especially for a Demon Hunter- and Torment becomes just a name rather than something to respect, you realise something is wrong.

The game becomes a one hit-two hit battles (for monsters and you), and mobs disintegration in one hit or two hits at that point. It's not so fun.

On your last point on torment levels and respecting them:

I was playing on the PTR for the next patch a bit a couple of days ago. Solo Torment 10 with a copy of my live GR50 capable monk. She couldn't defeat one of the uber bosses. Tried 5 times or so and eventually just had to give up and cut my losses on the machine. Looking back on it I think I could have won the battle with better use of my skills and some decent micro. I'm looking forward to figuring it out.

On average, T10 will feel like GR45, which is a fine upper end for most people when you consider power creep. T6 = GR25.

It took me several hours each day to finally get most of the items I was hunting for. I really started looking around Paragon level 140-ish and probably found them last night around level 200. To me that was a lot of hours invested especially if your time is limited. And I would still be searching for them all if not for a gift weapon from an XBox Live friend.

Also, I would never have attempted the combinations mentioned nor probably continued playing if not for some of the info here. Some things that should have been basically understood like stash increases I was totally clueless on. I think Diablo 3 tries to compromise where it is still fun for the casual player and yet leaves high level goals for the advanced player. Even better, Blizzard continues to generate interest in the form of free DLC/patches.

The game reflects your accomplishments in ways that aren't fun when you can be so powerful and monsters are just too powerful too, especially because they punch really hard, and you die in a single hit.

It's get to a match of very few hits rather than a challenging confrontation where your skills are fun to use and you can see their effects on monsters and the monsters' skills effects on you more clearly.

At higher levels, D3 requires a good amount of skill.

One thing that is sorely missing from consoles is the social aspect found on the PC version. The ability to check anyone's profile and gear as well as leaderboards. For me that's where the fun is at... comparing myself to everyone else and trying to see how far I can get on greater rifts. At one point I was ranked 142 on the US Wizard leaderboard and that felt like a huge accomplishment.

On your last point on torment levels and respecting them:

I was playing on the PTR for the next patch a bit a couple of days ago. Solo Torment 10 with a copy of my live GR50 capable monk. She couldn't defeat one of the uber bosses. Tried 5 times or so and eventually just had to give up and cut my losses on the machine. Looking back on it I think I could have won the battle with better use of my skills and some decent micro. I'm looking forward to figuring it out.

On average, T10 will feel like GR45, which is a fine upper end for most people when you consider power creep. T6 = GR25.
Your monk is much more powerful than average, and I am still surprised you almost completed a level 52 GR on your own and missed it only by a single second. What does PTR stand for?

I think the monk is probably my second most favourite character --Wizard would be up there too. It was my first Diablo 3 character at launch day back in 2012, but I hated the game then and left the PC version at level 22 or so, never played again, I was so upset. Cause and effect.

At higher levels, D3 requires a good amount of skill.

One thing that is sorely missing from consoles is the social aspect found on the PC version. The ability to check anyone's profile and gear as well as leaderboards. For me that's where the fun is at... comparing myself to everyone else and trying to see how far I can get on greater rifts. At one point I was ranked 142 on the US Wizard leaderboard and that felt like a huge accomplishment.
Well, skill is necessary, demons attacks are much faster than when you are playing the campaign at low levels, and trying to control cooldowns and evade all the attacks the demons send at you to confuse their opponent, with what's going on screen at the same time, is not easy.

You can get lost in that thick fog, so to say.

I died so very often with my DH, but it was a cookie cutter build, and most of the offense was on automatic mode. You use a bot and you could clear high level grifts with that build pretty easily, I think. Rain of Vengeance, Strafe, hatred generator, rinse and repeat. The key is that Strate covers the entire screen, and I don't like it.

It removes the micromanagement @tabs is talking about, a very much needed tactic for some characters.

Your leaderboard position is incredible in general. Especially taking into account the most refined players and the ones with the best micro, are on PC. Congrats on that. Your miraculously good knowledge starts to make sense now.

My Diablo 3 life is full of micro now, and lots of fun confronting monsters in interesting battles of cat and mouse. I recorded a 20 seconds video of my current DH (level 13) tonight: :)

http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/Ruin of Palmira/video/4893989

PTR means Public Test Realm. It's essentially where you can play the upcoming patches before they go live, to playtest them and give feedback to blizzard.

The point of my post was that very soon there will be new levels of difficulty which should address your issue of feeling D3 isn't challenging enough.

PTR means Public Test Realm. It's essentially where you can play the upcoming patches before they go live, to playtest them and give feedback to blizzard.

The point of my post was that very soon there will be new levels of difficulty which should address your issue of feeling D3 isn't challenging enough.
Thanks for the explanation. Much appreciated.

Well, Diablo 3 is challenging. My only gripe with it is that with the skills I had and the skill of monsters, at very high levels my battles were basically one hit or two hit battles. Either I was killed in one hit, either monsters were killed in one or two hits, save for bosses or champions.

My DH is progressing well. Level 27 now. Multishot is the most fun DH skill ever!! :) And it doesn't have cooldown. Problem is, it is too expensive, hatred wise!

But a skill like that, without cooldown is a treasure. :) So now another stat I really need is resources cost reduction.

My DH will be based on Rain of Vengeance with Natalya -protection, damage, damage type still to be decided-, Multishot (main) and either Sentries or Chakram. Entangling Shot or Bolas as primary resource generator skills, most probably the later.

All those skills are very fun. :)

Last edited:
I might get on tonight. Unfortunately, I have to do some bounties to get some Rift keys. I got wrecked recently on a Grift 38----my character was practically like glass against the Grift Guardian.

Edit: Going to experiment with a slightly different equip set using the TNT gloves and Serpent Sparker wand. I've been using the Devastator with the Nilfur boots. Looks like I'll have to switch the Desere boots so that I can tag in the TNT gloves.

I might get on tonight. Unfortunately, I have to do some bounties to get some Rift keys. I got wrecked recently on a Grift 38----my character was practically like glass against the Grift Guardian.

Edit: Going to experiment with a slightly different equip set using the TNT gloves and Serpent Sparker wand. I've been using the Devastator with the Nilfur boots. Looks like I'll have to switch the Desere boots so that I can tag in the TNT gloves.

You will sacrifice bubble damage but single target damage will be much more substantial.
Hydra damage scales with attack speed, but there are breakpoints. These are the most common (make sure you factor in TnT bonus):

3.063 (you will be sacrificing something to get to this bp and/or using enchantress and/or gogok gem and/or ias bubble)

FYI, ias on wep is usually better than 10% damage on wep for hydra builds.

I jumped in and Kulle shows up and wants me to get some stone.....but I don't know how and where?
Also some skull shaped orbs dropping in rifts... Wonder what's that!

Act 3 you go to the new area and explore and you'll find the stone. They changed some things and now the console version has way more sets, or seems like it does.

I got the Kunai's cube a few minutes ago.

It's not clear how you can equip your items to the cube though as it shows the area greyed out for Armor, weapon and jewelry even though I have the items you are allowed to equip on my inventory.

I'm going to have to find some youtube vids for the console version. Included in the patch appears to be new demon types and weapon effects. I didn't play around with it too much, but will try some more later today or tomorrow.

I got the Kunai's cube a few minutes ago.

It's not clear how you can equip your items to the cube though as it shows the area greyed out for Armor, weapon and jewelry even though I have the items you are allowed to equip on my inventory.

I'm going to have to find some youtube vids for the console version. Included in the patch appears to be new demon types and weapon effects. I didn't play around with it too much, but will try some more later today or tomorrow.

You need mats to do stuff with the cube. You get mats from farming bounties.

Back