BeOS

Saem

Veteran
All right, I took the plunge and am downloading BeOS R5 as I type this out.

I have an Abit BP6, 256 MB of RAM, PURE SCSI system and dual Celeon 333@501.

In any case, I'm going to give it a whirl, advice, comments and questions are welcome.

So I installed BeOS. BUt I'm not sure where I can download drivers for my radeon 640*480 sucks!

Did you have any luck with the drivers?
And what is BeOS like compared to Windows, and erm Lindows...

Well I haven't touched that tool of the devil Lindows. It's a pretty decent interface, but since I haven't had any luck with the drivers I can't really go beyond 640*480. Well I can, but I'd be stuck in black and white. =( Well grey-scale.

In anycase, I'm going to putter around and try to find it.

see www.bebits.com download BeShare, which allows file sharing + chat, ask for help there.

There's a tool on BeBits allowing to set screen res in VESA mode but I don't remember it's name, probably a higly downloaded app, so look at the most downloaded panel on the right.

BeBits is 'the' BeOS apps site on which you can find almost any app released for the BeOS.

If you have a RadeOn (not a 7xxx neither 8xxx) there's a driver on BeBits.

Also you might want to check www.openbeos.org, the guys in there are rewritting BeOS5.0 from scratch.

Last note, there's a non official BeOS 5.1 release on the web, which has Hardware OpenGL, more drivers and new interface, as well as new internet stack.

I know of bebits and beshare. I wasn't sure if beshare was worth the download. BTW, is the unoffical 5.1 update for proffessional or personal? I have personal and can't get Professional.

it's a pro release.

only a few codecs make the difference between the pro and free release of the OS.

the pro has a few intel video codecs, and the realplayer AFAI remember.

Since it's not legal (even if Be is out of business) I can't give you any way to do it.

ARGH! OMG, WTF is wrong with companies, abandonware for God's sakes.

Well the Pro version has the ability to take advantage of the Pro version.

It's hard to battle M$, especially when M$ licence agreements specify that no no M$ OS must be loaded by M$ bootloader, and that every M$ OS must boot through M$ bootloader...

That prevented Hitashi and NEC to release dual OS PCs (BeOS + Windows) as they intended to.

BeOS is an OS made right, and I've yet to see an OS coming close to it, and the last version of the OS is already 2 years old...

The Personnal Edition was meant to get some market (more BeOS installed, more market for BeOS devs), but it couldn't contain licensed code which costed Be, inc. money (hey it's free, they don't pay for you), so the pro was released.
It's easy to install the PE on its own partition/disk.

I've seen BeOS Pro at the occasional university computer/bookstore. You might try the cheap software sections of local pc/book shops.

Yes, spend money on software which is no long supported. I'm sorry, but that doesn't make sense to me. I'm grateful for the suggestion. But I just think it's a bad concept, thus me harping about abandonware.

If you like BeOS :

www.openbeos.org - Open Source BeOS, R5 source compatible initiative
www.beunited.org - Supporting BeOS, publishing, lawsuits...
www.yellowtab.com - Making a NEW OFFICIAL BeOS release

After having tried BeOS you will never like windows again.
BeOS, is so robust, intuitive, easy to use and user friendly, even the Macs won't be good enough for you after that :)

At least it happened to me, I can't run windows without being unhappy with this or that behavior/feature, slowdown, bug...

The interface was pretty good, but I'm not sure it compared to Win2k. I don't want to get into a HUGE debate, but a small one would be fine. Perhaps I didn't spend enough time with it.

OpenBeOS, is something that I'm looking forward too. I just hope they don't make any sacrafices for the sake of compatability.

Well I know that they are aiming at BeOS R5.
They will replicate it exactly, but they have so many ideas and features they want to add, they'll do a OpenBeOS Release 2 after the first.

Back