Holiday trip ideas

Though they only put the pieces together these days right? And not so well if you have to believe some... I've had a tour of the factory in Japan that makes the wings for the 777.

I'll be going to Koh Samui in September, only 5 days though. Yay for Japanese holidays.

Yes I think the parts are flown from all over the world and they just assemble them there. Do you know what part of the Island you'll be staying?

Yes I think the parts are flown from all over the world and they just assemble them there. Do you know what part of the Island you'll be staying?

I´ll be staying at this place:
http://www.hotels.com/ho272917/silavadee-pool-spa-resort-ko-samui-and-surrounding-islands-thailand

Looked nice and quite. Hope that the room and everything will be good. Reading all the reviews, not just this hotel but others as well, it sometimes seem to be kinda hit and miss as far as quality and maintenance of rooms goes. That said a total of a little under 600 euro's for 4 nights, can't really expect the world for that I guess.

Anybody knows how much a taxi in Thailand will cost? The hotel airport bus is 3000 baht, like 80 euros which I think is rather expensive since the hotel shouldn't even be 12 km from the airport. From my home to the airport, which is 60km only costs me 14 euro's with the airport bus.

Anyway I'm looking forward to it. It's my first real holiday in something like 6 years. Well I did went to the beach in Japan last year but a typhoon arrived and departed on the same day as me... Hopefully the GF will keep her nagging in check, last week she got royally pissed off as apparently I didn't look fashionable enough. No shit, its 30 degrees, I just wanna be somewhat cool, I couldn't care less what I wear. Didn't go down very well...

Anybody knows how much a taxi in Thailand will cost? The hotel airport bus is 3000 baht, like 80 euros which I think is rather expensive since the hotel shouldn't even be 12 km from the airport. From my home to the airport, which is 60km only costs me 14 euro's with the airport bus.

It should be way, way less than that. We only stayed in Bangkok and Krabi area so I can't speak specifically for Koh Samui but the most expensive Taxi ride we took the entire time we were in the country was 25KM between the two Bangkok airports in rush hour traffic for 800 baht. And that included tolls.

From Krabi Ferry port to our hotel, which I believe was about 12KM we payed around 300-400 baht I think which was a flat rate. I found the taxi arrangements in Thialand to be pretty well organised and reliable. All the major terminals had well signed (with prices) taxi firms on site.

Incidentally, the 1 time we were offered a hotel chartered transfer (which we didn't take) it was vastly more expensive than the local taxi option.

Are you planning to go to the full moon part btw?

Koh Samui has the most expensive Taxis in Thailand. I heard people saying that mafia has their hands on it. The distances are very short there, but the prices were much higher than in Bangkok. 3000 baht for the airport bus sounds really bad if it's per person? I remember the taxis were quite expensive from the airport, but they also had a minibus that took around 8-10 people in and I only had to pay 200 baht for that ride. My place was only about 3km from the airport. Taxis would have been significantly more. In general I didn't see too much of locals taking advantage of tourists there, but transportation was one where it definitely happens.

Tonque that place you are staying looks very nice! 125€ per night is not exactly cheap over there though and you can expect quite a bit for that amount imo :)

I rented a place through Airbnb

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/3485892?s=P0H_

I was there for 3 weeks, so didn't want to pay that much per day haha. The place and environment was very nice though. I liked it very much. It was pretty quiet spot, but still close enough to everywhere.

I hope you have great trip! and LB too haha.

20150315_0928291.jpg

Attachments

• 20150315_092829.jpg
    20150315_092829.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 13
Last edited:
That place looks pretty good too. I completely agree with you. If my GF could take more than 1 week off I'd be looking into something like that as well.

I don't care that taxis are relatively expensive but when I have to pay more than in Japan I start having doubts.

Nice pics! I guess it's raining a lot in Bangkok during this time of the year. Are there pauses in it, or is it constant? What part of Bangkok are you staying and how do you like it?

Actually I was expecting big rain too but so far it hasn't rained even once. Here they say that if it does rain, it's usually a couple of hours in the afternoon which gives everyone some time to freshen up from the heat. Which I can confirm is not unbearable but very intense.
This is my second day here and it's just a beautiful place. The temples are the most intricate and gorgeous pieces of art I've seen.

But most importantly, everything is cheap as frack.

Actually I was expecting big rain too but so far it hasn't rained even once. Here they say that if it does rain, it's usually a couple of hours in the afternoon which gives everyone some time to freshen up from the heat. Which I can confirm is not unbearable but very intense.
This is my second day here and it's just a beautiful place. The temples are the most intricate and gorgeous pieces of art I've seen.

But most importantly, everything is cheap as frack.

Have you been the the palace yet? I found it to be hell on Earth. Insanely busy made much worse by the crushing heat and the fact that you have to wear long trousers, Wat Pho (just behind the palace) was much quieter (although still busy) and they didn't have a problem with cropped pants.

Well it's the cheapest one I've visited :)
I was telling someone yesterday at work about a place I stayed in vietnam (shared room) less than $2US a night including a smorgasbord each night ~15 dishes, all the beer you can drink & spirits as well.
Or 4/5 star hotels for ~$5 a night

I've been looking at going away in a couple of weeks, taking a week off work to rest my elbow (if I stay at home I'll play guitar use the computer/mouse which isnt resting it so getting away is the best idea)
anyways I was looking at manila (nz dollars) $1500 but it first flys to korea and then onto manila! thus takes 33hours, so I thought OK maybe I'll go to korea which is only 15hours but the price is $1800 :confused:.
I was also looking at going to flores and seeing the komodo dragons which I've never seen before, but FFS they are still using dynamite to fish over there. I've been a couple of times to indonesia before and have seen the effects of the dynamite fishing on the coral

basically what looked like this
potluck.jpg

now looks like this, everywhere

ptg00401007.jpg

and once its like this, it takes decades to return to the above, the problem is since the locals have killed the coral the fish don't come anymore, thus theyve destroyed their future fish gathering abilities for a one time feed. Stupidity of the highest magnitude, theyre also missing on my partner and me going to indonesia for a holiday (prolly spend $1500 each) multiply this by all the other tourists who think the same.
Anyways prolly going to one of the pacific islands in a couple of weeks time.

btw London-boy if you're in bangkok, I do recommend ankor wat in cambodia about 8 hours by bus, I saw the face of jesus there https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BLBUGT4CAAAq53e.jpg:large
also its cheap compared to thailand (and you can get happy/magic/? pizzas there)

btw London-boy if you're in bangkok, I do recommend ankor wat in cambodia about 8 hours by bus, I saw the face of jesus there https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BLBUGT4CAAAq53e.jpg:large
also its cheap compared to thailand (and you can get happy/magic/? pizzas there)

We took a flight - only £84 via air asia and we flew back the same day! Had tons of time at Angkor Wat but no time in the rest of Cambodia (aside from a few drinks in the road side bars outside Siam Reap airport) which would have been nice - especially those magic pizzas!

Spent a month in Cambodia a couple of years ago, speaking of roadside drinks, managed to score this alcohol, made by the ministry of mines and energy (actually was very tasty). Siem Riep though is a bit of a shithole.
Just brought some tickets to tonga for 7 nights at the end of this month, hopefully swim with some whales
BLWKm9bCQAAKZRi.jpg:large

yeah I tried the happy pizza once (Im not a drug user), I forget what they call the food when they stick opium in it. Happy = marijuana, Magic = magic mushrooms, ? = opium

Tongue how did your holiday go?

Also I'm going back next January. I'll be staying for 2.5 months in Thailand. Around one week in Bangkok and the rest in Samui in the same apartment complex as this year. I had to divide it in to two different apartments due to other bookings, but they are similar and from the same Airbnb renter, so it's all good.
Funny coincident is that this year I spent 26 days in Thailand, 31 days in USA and 17 days in Crete, which is 74 days in total, the exact same number I'll be in Thailand next year. Can't wait!

Tongue how did your holiday go?

Also I'm going back next January. I'll be staying for 2.5 months in Thailand. Around one week in Bangkok and the rest in Samui in the same apartment complex as this year. I had to divide it in to two different apartments due to other bookings, but they are similar and from the same Airbnb renter, so it's all good.
Funny coincident is that this year I spent 26 days in Thailand, 31 days in USA and 17 days in Crete, which is 74 days in total, the exact same number I'll be in Thailand next year. Can't wait!

What do you do for a living out of curiosity? It must be pretty flexible and pay well to afford that level of travel.

What do you do for a living out of curiosity? It must be pretty flexible and pay well to afford that level of travel.

I run an evil organization...

I run a small business and pretty much most of the day to day tasks I can do over the Internet. It is really small these days and of course you don't grow it by travelling and lazying around, but if I'm perfectly honest, I don't really care.

The money is not good, not anymore anyway, but my expenses on the business side and in general are super low and I mean super low. I have a decent (ish) place to live, no debt of any kind and outside of holidays very careful with money.

Soon I will need to do something else, but I should still be able to travel 2-3months during the winter just fine. In the end it's a trade off. Nowadays I value stuff like free time and quality of sleep far higher than career and big house etc.

Thread duly renamed as it's far more interesting to have a thread with all sorts of trip ideas instead of my old Asia trip.

I'm in Santorini right now which must be one of the most beautiful places I've ever seen. And I've been around. A lot.

I run an evil organization...

I run a small business and pretty much most of the day to day tasks I can do over the Internet. It is really small these days and of course you don't grow it by travelling and lazying around, but if I'm perfectly honest, I don't really care.

The money is not good, not anymore anyway, but my expenses on the business side and in general are super low and I mean super low. I have a decent (ish) place to live, no debt of any kind and outside of holidays very careful with money.

Soon I will need to do something else, but I should still be able to travel 2-3months during the winter just fine. In the end it's a trade off. Nowadays I value stuff like free time and quality of sleep far higher than career and big house etc.

Sounds awesome to me. Im a career project manager so can only travel during allocted holidays. I can purchase up to 40 days per year but it's not even close to enough to allow the kind of slow travel you enjoy (which is something I'd love).

Back