Planet found in Earth's nearest neighbour star system

The plutonic aliens have already hacked our probe and are now probably busy rifling through all the Earth's networks, looking for information about our weaknesses, locations of critical infrastructure, as well as targetable exploits and so on. Tomorrow the shit hits the fan! Remember that I called it!

:devilish::LOL:

They'd probably be thinking something along the lines of:

"What? It's so hot over there that H2O is naturally found in liquid state?!?!?! Fuck that, let's stay home!"

Mountains on Pluto :)

NASA images reveal mountains on Pluto
rvdgr9.jpg

110ev4k.jpg

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsround/33547102

http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-33543383

"What? It's so hot over there that H2O is naturally found in liquid state?!?!?! Fuck that, let's stay home!"

"And methane is a gas!! Apparently those earthlings fart that stuff out!!"

Yeas, very funny. Our scientists agree that we know only Life based on liquid water.

We cannot be sure that there can be life without liquid water, so that means that your proposed aliens for now can exist only in animations. :LOL:

About the post above mine - it's disgusting, people !

They apparently only get 0.1% of the light we get? That might be more of an issue ... (well -400C seems a bit chilly too).

Hmm, perhaps -240C then, or -400F :) And true. And considering the mountains, there does seem to be some kind of heat-related activity, so it is actually not impossible that there is life there.

I am sure that for real aliens search, they will focus on Jupiter's moon Europa. There is plenty of liquid water there, as much as would like. :LOL:

Yes, 400 degrees below zero can only be F, because officially the absolute zero in C is way above that.

I'm sure there is life on a lot of planets but need to actually dig down to find them. I recall reading a theory about how asteroids 'seed' life planet to planet. The bacterium/or whatever it is can survive long voyages in space and when the asteroids crash into planets they begin to flourish again. If this theory is somewhat correct, all these planets should have life of some format.

I recall reading a theory about how asteroids 'seed' life planet to planet.

I am not sure that theory is plausible. There are theories which make perfect sense and are smart while others are pure rubbish.
Ok, question - how did life appear on those asteroids, in the first place ?

And second question - have you noticed that some scientists pretend that they don't know how all the water appeared on our planet ? Where did it come from ? They are looking for it coming from outer space.
When actually the explanation is very easy, and I was taught with it in my childhood - the water was just a part of all the planet disc - when our planet cooled sufficiently, it began to rain for millions of years, and that's how the oceans and water cycle appeared.

Sorry, I do not understand your remark. What should have I said?

That they are silly and it is impossible that all the water came via comets? Or that they lie ?

I think the problem is that you are accusing professional scientists of lying on the grounds that what they say today conflicts with what you were told in high school however many years ago that was.

Right, but the point of science is that the current best understanding changes with time. Hopefully always improving, though sometimes taking side tracks that don't lead anywhere. That means that what you hear today quite probably be different from what you heard back then, because understanding today is (hopefully) better.

Secondly, pretty everything you learn at school about science, or physics/astronomy at least, is about a hundred years out of date. Even at university undergraduate it's the simpler end of modern understanding. Simply because to get to the current frontier takes many years of dedicated study beyond undergraduate level.

I am not sure that theory is plausible. There are theories which make perfect sense and are smart while others are pure rubbish.
Ok, question - how did life appear on those asteroids, in the first place ?
The Immortals (Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey) Season 1: Episode 11 narrated by Neil Degrasse Tyson.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Immortals_(Cosmos:_A_Spacetime_Odyssey)

The Immortals" is the eleventh episode of the American documentary television series Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey. It premiered on May 18, 2014, on Fox, and aired on May 19, 2014, on National Geographic Channel. The episode was written by Ann Druyan and Steven Soter, and directed by Brannon Braga. The episode explores the possibility of the interstellar spread of life and possible alien encounters. The episode also presents the hypothesis of panspermia, where the origin of life is attributed to comets or asteroids carrying radiation-resistant organisms.

It's on Netflix. For clarification, I watched it not read it.

This is just speculations, something similar to what we do here in the other section when we expect some new graphics, while having almost zero clue and real information to what exactly happens.

I didn't learn those scientific matters at school, I had this information via encyclopedias in those years.

The point of mine is that in the past I had trust in them.... now I do not trust them anymore.

This is just speculations, something similar to what we do here in the other section when we expect some new graphics, while having almost zero clue and real information to what exactly happens.

I didn't learn those scientific matters at school, I had this information via encyclopedias in those years.

The point of mine is that in the past I had trust in them.... now I do not trust them anymore.
Most of what the scientific community is perhaps. But their version of speculation has more thorough peer review and reliance on evidence than the type of speculation we do on open forums.
They speculated about the Higgs Boson, they also speculated about Pentaquarks back in the 60s. Only today did we prove them both.
You're welcome to have your own opinion on matters, but I will say that information that is dated (as tends to be information in encyclopedias in middle/high school), can be outdated and eventually proven incorrect.

You contradict yourself. At the same time you mention speculations back in the 60s (when they simply didn't have the technology to prove this) and how other information from previous time frames could be outdated.

Let's simply assume that technically it is impossible that all the water came via asteroids or comets simply because the volume on the planet is so enormous. And that the gas itself can be evenly distributed in the primary planetary discs.

No further comment on the life is brought by comet - just tell me where and how it happened on the comet in the first place.
That's simply ridiculous because comets don't travel between solar systems.

there does seem to be some kind of heat-related activity, so it is actually not impossible that there is life there.
"Some heat" meaning enough to cause nitrogen to evaporate off the equator and re-freeze around the poles; still so far below freezing it's ridiculous, obviously. :) If there ever was anything even approaching life on Pluto, I promise to eat like a million hats...

Life travelling on asteroids and whatnot and falling down on Earth is a theoretical possibility of course, but that life would have had to evolve somewhere, then survived being blown off into space, surviving all the hard ionizing radiation flying around out there, the vacuum, the low - and sometimes high - temperatures, and then falling down here through our atmosphere (starting off at orbital velocity of like 15-25km/s) - sum total, it's a lot less likely than life having evolved right here. Seems to me, if you really believe life originated somewhere else, you have to be a fucking nutcase... :p

Back