F1 2015 (PC) New Game Engine

Do you play games from F1 Series?

• No, but I would like to.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I always found the original DiRT to run very well, even on the 8800GT I had at the time. But I did not buy it at release so things may have been different then.

What frame rate are you getting

1920 X 1080
AA Off
AF Off
VSync Off

Everything to LOW
Average FPS 42.338
Min FPS 35.049
Max FPS 50.395

Everything to MEDIUM
Average FPS 40.514
Min FPS 32.906
Max FPS 46.98

Everything to HIGH
Average FPS 21.93
Min FPS 16.56
Max FPS 25.087

Everything to ULTRA HIGH
Average FPS 18.38
Min FPS 14.15
Max FPS 22.41

Actually, these results are better than when AF is set to 16X and VSync is ON.

Woah, thats pretty bad, perhaps it's using a dx11 feature that the 6870 isnt very good at like tessellation
try limiting it in ccc

Looks like he can run it on Medium which is about right for a 6870. Especially considering AMD no longer optimizes for any GPUs prior to GCN.

Woah, thats pretty bad, perhaps it's using a dx11 feature that the 6870 isnt very good at like tessellation
try limiting it in ccc

Thanks for the idea. It is set to AMD Optimised, I will try to force it completely off.

Looks like he can run it on Medium which is about right for a 6870.

All previous editions, F1 2014, F1 2013, F1 2012, F1 2011 are flying even at Ultra High with 4X AA.

Especially considering AMD no longer optimizes for any GPUs prior to GCN.

These tests were performed with the latest WHQL driver package Catalyst 15.7.

However, I do consider the possibility that AMD will release a new driver(s) for ALL cards to optimise this particular game.

Egosoft is claiming that this is a new engine. In reality it's a heavily modified version of the engine they've always used, but it is not surprising that the game requires more GPU than the previous versions.

The DX11 cards prior to GCN are still supported by the lastest drivers, but AMD doesn't do any performance optimization for them. This was stated very clearly by AMD a while ago. So while it is highly likely that AMD will release a driver to improve performance of GCN cards in this game, it is highly unlikely that those will apply to cards like the 6870.

I guess it's possible that if they fix performance on GCN cards it will somehow help older cards as well, but that would be nothing more than a side effect. For better or worse they aren't going to go out of their way to fix performance on pre GCN cards.

Barts is not that bad given that we are still stuck with the 28-nm.
Basically, after Barts and Cayman* you have the 7000-series, the R* 200 series (part of which were just 7000 rebrands), and R* 300 which were also mainly rebrands (7000/ R* 200).

Edit: Cayman (not Tahiti).

Last edited:
Barts definitely is not a bad part but considering the current consoles outclass it and are GCN based, I wouldn't expect it to meet the minimum spec in too many AAA cross platform titles for much longer. Neither developers or AMD are going to spend time optimizing for it.

Barts.... current consoles outclass it and are GCN based...

That's NOT true.
PS4 has 1.84 TFlops, the 6870 has 2 TFlops
PS4 has Pixel Fillrate 25.6 GP/s and Texture Fillrate 57.6 GT/s
Barts has Pixel Fillrate 28.8 GP/s and Texture Fillrate 50.4 GT/s

So, if that thingie is GCN, so what? GCN for now is nothing special.

If you wanna convince me that it is worth it to oprimise only for GCN, then you found the wrong person. I think AMD is just in many troubles and look how to make their customers more angry on them.

BTW. I removed F1 2015 from my system. Not going to torture myself with such a shyte. :(

:LOL:
Man, you got everything wrong here.
Any comments about how Barts is actually in the very same performance league as the GPU in Sony's Playstation 4?

The PS4 should be a bit faster but not to the extent shown by this game.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Powercolor/HD_7870_Devil/26.html

The 7850 (roughly PS4 level or marginally slower) is about 13% faster than the 6870 across all games at 1080p in this TPU article. Add to that modern games taking greater advantage of GCN compared to the older Barts architecture and I'd say we should be seeing on average a healthy advantage for the PS4 even if AMD was still providing good support for Barts in it's drivers. The fact that it probably isn't will obviously make things much worse.

Back