Destiny [PS3,X360,PS4,XO]

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH PoE level 28 but all my teammate got kicked out or they left, dunno. Solo-ed the thing. OMG so very tiring and boring because the end boss was Valus' brother.

What does all that running gain you really? It puts skolas all out of position (on the right plat he never really strays far), makes passing the poison on the run dicier, and so on and so forth.
It makes it easier to kill ads. If all 3 fireteam members are in the same area, all the ads (including skolas) are there shooting at you. We either stay on the left or right until it gets too crowded, then we circle to the other side. Once we clear away the ads, we hit skolas.

The only time we run into issues passing the poison is if we forget to keep an eye on the timer, but that's not because we're running around, it's because we simply forgot and it was our own fault (this rarely happens btw). We make sure we pass the poison before we circle. We have a pretty good system down that rarely fails.

Last edited:
Are ads that much of a problem for your crack fireteam? :p

Anyways, ads seem fairly easy to keep under control on the right plat, again just be careful not to spawn double waves if possible.

Just camp out on the right platform and get over the mental hurdle of "we have to bail everytime things get hot". That mental hurdle is the toughest part. It really never gets that hot IMO as long as you keep it to single ad waves.

Sometimes a captain or Vandal will jump up on your right, but again this actually is pretty easy to handle when you're watching for it. He's easy to dispatch from a safe distance with a Fatebringer or two, he's only red bar.

Skolas shooting at you is what can make it a bit dangerous, but still on balance as of now, and I could change my mind, I think it's a better method.

It seems to make one or even two team members dying happen more often (due to Skolas scorch cannon), yet paradoxically those deaths are ultimately less dangerous, because they're easier to recover from. In fact it becomes almost routine to recover even from 2/3 fireteam being dead.

Save your breath from running those miles and miles for no reason. And how many times do you see those vandals coming at you straight down the path when you run? No matter how you slice it rotating can be dangerous.

You keep close to pass the essence, it's much less stressful that way. Skolas is pretty much always near to DPS as well. And of course you avoid the BLARAGGFHJGFFJ SKOLAS JUST TELEPORTED ONTO THE PLATFORM that invariably happens sooner or later on the other side. I think mines are easier to keep straight as well, and it's helpful that one spawns always right on top of you.

If you can convince your fireteam, you should try it one time, I suspect you'll start to see the advantages.

The bottom line is just that there's no reason to run laps. It's just doing something that isn't necessary and introducing more failure points.

You do have to send someone off one or more times to get opposite side servitor before the bonds are broken typically, but this isn't a problem. Sometimes skolas will aggro him, just plink skoly to bring his attention back.

Last edited:
btw in skolas with blade dancer or titan, you can have virtually unlimited supers because so many dregs are there.

Are ads that much of a problem for your crack fireteam? :p

Anyways, ads seem fairly easy to keep under control on the right plat, again just be careful not to spawn double waves if possible.

Just camp out on the right platform and get over the mental hurdle of "we have to bail everytime things get hot". That mental hurdle is the toughest part. It really never gets that hot IMO as long as you keep it to single ad waves.

Sometimes a captain or Vandal will jump up on your right, but again this actually is pretty easy to handle when you're watching for it. He's easy to dispatch from a safe distance with a Fatebringer or two, he's only red bar.

Skolas shooting at you is what can make it a bit dangerous, but still on balance as of now, and I could change my mind, I think it's a better method.

It seems to make one or even two team members dying happen more often (due to Skolas scorch cannon), yet paradoxically those deaths are ultimately less dangerous, because they're easier to recover from. In fact it becomes almost routine to recover even from 2/3 fireteam being dead.

Save your breath from running those miles and miles for no reason. And how many times do you see those vandals coming at you straight down the path when you run? No matter how you slice it rotating can be dangerous.

You keep close to pass the essence, it's much less stressful that way. Skolas is pretty much always near to DPS as well. And of course you avoid the BLARAGGFHJGFFJ SKOLAS JUST TELEPORTED ONTO THE PLATFORM that invariably happens sooner or later on the other side. I think mines are easier to keep straight as well, and it's helpful that one spawns always right on top of you.

If you can convince your fireteam, you should try it one time, I suspect you'll start to see the advantages.

The bottom line is just that there's no reason to run laps. It's just doing something that isn't necessary and introducing more failure points.

You do have to send someone off one or more times to get opposite side servitor before the bonds are broken typically, but this isn't a problem. Sometimes skolas will aggro him, just plink skoly to bring his attention back.
I disagree. Rotation works really well for the skolas fight. If you lose one or two fireteam members those left have a much better chance of living if they keep moving. Especially with lightswitch on. The right platform is a great place to camp and kill adds as well as damage skolas. If you are the last guardian standing and you camp in an area by yourself you stand a very good chance of getting killed by tracking bullets, snipers or even a one hit melee before you can get either teammate up for revive.

To be honest, we've never tried your method Rangers. Our method works just fine, and I always say, if it ain't broke don't fix. :)

Circling isn't an issue for us... I don't think we've ever died from circling. Like I said, we usually beat him first or second try.

And we don't run 'miles'... we maybe switch sides 4-5 times.

I disagree. Rotation works really well for the skolas fight. If you lose one or two fireteam members those left have a much better chance of living if they keep moving. .

See, I dont think so. You also then have to come all the way back around to revive that fallen teammate. Then you typically get scenarios sooner or later where you've got 2/3 teammates dead and their orbs are scattered who knows where, and it's very dangerous and threatens a wipe. we've all been there.

Just stay on the platform, it's a lot easier. Then you're always near that orb, waiting and ready to revive. You're always near each other, the essence is much easier to pass.

It's not particularly hard to stay alive on the right platform, by ducking behind one of the two barriers and crouching (hunter invis and titan bubbles easy to use helpfully here too, much more so than if you're running around). Even if 2/3 teammates die, almost ALWAYS one will be nearly ready to revive, because you're not going to lose two people at once, almost ever.

If you "keep moving" you risk running right into crowds of ads, which are a huge threat, as you circle. We've all been there too.

anybody nightfalling on reset? planning to solo it again but depends on the modifier and level... it can be too stressful and time consuming in solo

Nexus gonna be tough to solo, you have to stay up top where that minotaur is a terror...I remember doing it once, twas hard.

Heh, I remember I used to solo everything and now solo nothing. That's pretty much why I changed from Ice Breaker=best weapon in game to pretty much never ever using Ice Breaker. Ice Breaker is basically a must for solo-ing. But if you dont solo, I usually run Black Hammer or whatever burn sniper, and then of course probably Gjallahorn for the exotic.

Already got the Variks armor this week, so dont have to POE32 even once. So just NF/weekly/POE35 on all chars. Gonna be a light week for chores, specially since I stopped bothering with POE34 already. Maybe some crucible, maybe ghost hunting.

Finally got my 3 Exodus Plan's rocket launchers with tracking, solar/void/arc, and almost all leveled, which I have been working on approximately forever. Probably wont actually use these too much but glad I have them, gives loadout flexibility especially on lighter stuff like dailies or weeklies. Now I read a reddit that it's best to have PVE RL which holds 8, which you need to roll tripod for and only on certain launchers, need bigger blast radius etc etc. Was kinda bummed at first, but really decided it's just not worth the effort for very marginal gain. Just gonna keep my Exodus's.

Last edited:
Nexus gonna be tough to solo, you have to stay up top where that minotaur is a terror...I remember doing it once, twas hard.

Or go down and stay behind the wall, is more longer but more safe if you can't arrive to managed the Minotaur in the up, A good void SMG is the key for it. For Nexus Black Hammer is King. ;)

See, I dont think so. You also then have to come all the way back around to revive that fallen teammate. Then you typically get scenarios sooner or later where you've got 2/3 teammates dead and their orbs are scattered who knows where, and it's very dangerous and threatens a wipe. we've all been there.

Just stay on the platform, it's a lot easier. Then you're always near that orb, waiting and ready to revive. You're always near each other, the essence is much easier to pass.

It's not particularly hard to stay alive on the right platform, by ducking behind one of the two barriers and crouching (hunter invis and titan bubbles easy to use helpfully here too, much more so than if you're running around). Even if 2/3 teammates die, almost ALWAYS one will be nearly ready to revive, because you're not going to lose two people at once, almost ever.

If you "keep moving" you risk running right into crowds of ads, which are a huge threat, as you circle. We've all been there too.
Don't forget that major captains and servitors come up on the right platform.
Also you don't always have to rotate the entire match. You can stop and take cover on the right platform to clear adds. You can also stop with a team member when he dies and hover over his body. The problem with staying only on the right platform is there is a potential of your fireteam being overwhelmed by all the adds and skolas at the same time. The cover provided by the metal sheets on that platform doesn't stop splash damage from the scorth cannon or servitors. I have personally seen people get overwhelmed when camping on that platform especially on light switch weeks. Passing the poison is easily done while on the move. I also think it is a good idea to pass the poison and separate when mines come up. If you camp the right plat the entire time there is a chance the first mine will spawn on the other side of the map and you could run out of time before you get there.

Don't forget that major captains and servitors come up on the right platform.
Also you don't always have to rotate the entire match. You can stop and take cover on the right platform to clear adds. You can also stop with a team member when he dies and hover over his body. The problem with staying only on the right platform is there is a potential of your fireteam being overwhelmed by all the adds and skolas at the same time. The cover provided by the metal sheets on that platform doesn't stop splash damage from the scorth cannon or servitors. I have personally seen people get overwhelmed when camping on that platform especially on light switch weeks. Passing the poison is easily done while on the move. I also think it is a good idea to pass the poison and separate when mines come up. If you camp the right plat the entire time there is a chance the first mine will spawn on the other side of the map and you could run out of time before you get there.

The more I do the strat the more the rotate way seems just dumb. It means you are always dying in some far off place and you have to run ten miles to get that person back, every time. It's ridiculous. Just stay together, you dont have to run anywhere. Revives are so easy. Poison is so easy. The only issue will of course be mines.

Oh if the far mine pops as long as you are somewhat prompt in taking off you wont run out of time.

I will say right plat strategy seems harder this week because of no small arms. Small arms more than canceled out lightswitch last week. Small arms made it a lot easier to control ads.

I am fairly sure it wont be long and right plat will be like center ledge on Crota, just the thing everybody does.

You only die far off some place if you're dumb and run off by yourself. If you circle together only when things get crowded and avoid the middle, you shouldn't be dying period and not much running around should be needed. At the same time, it's cake to clear out ads. I just beat skolas with one random and one regular and we again beat him on the second try with maybe 2-3 deaths the whole round (one was with the poison and he simply forgot he had it). And the revives were easy since all the deaths were on either side. We either waited on the side for revive, or circled once until the ads cleared from his body.

How many deaths and retries does it generally take you to beat skolas with your method? If our method was dumb, we wouldn't be beating him first or second try with very few deaths. ;)

Last edited:
2nd try...if you are so good why are you dying? :LOL:

If it's cake to clear out ads then it's cake from the platform too! That's what you always ignore, "Oh I'm so good ads are so easy". Then they should be easy from right plat too Mr Ace :)

And no, usually with the rotate strat you end up having to leave somebodies orb behind and circle back to it a lot of the time. Lets say if Skolas teleports onto left plat for example and somebody dies. Dont pretend this doesn't happen frequently. So you run ten miles for nothing as always. Then it's 10X more complicated if poison is involved.

Do you realize on right plat every time somebody dies here's what you do: Nothing. Stay there, kill ads, revive them in 30 seconds. It's glorious!

Once you do the right strat you just realize how intrinsically dumb rotate strat is, that's all. Since you've never done it, you wouldn't know. Running thousands of miles and wasting your breath for no reason is all you know.

Have you even tried it once?

I have usually so far taken quite a few tries to beat Skolas, but that was the same or worse with rotate strat. Since I'm only playing with randoms the HUGE key is how good the group is. The group is 90% the strat is like 10%. That said, right plat strat is just much less stressful and easier. Even if they were exactly equally as efficient, right strat is just 50X easier on the brain. But it's better too I think.

The first time I learned right strat we had been wiping a lot and a new guy comes in and calmly walks us through it, and we beat it maybe second time after like 10 wipes with rotate.

You should do it ONE time. That's all it takes to realize how backwards rotate strat is. You save so many thousands of miles of running.

Speaking of groups, it's AMAZING how important the group is with Skolas. Maybe it's because it's only three people, so just 2 besides yourself, so each person's importance gets amplified much more than in a 6 man raid? Maybe it's the incredible amount of teamwork the essence requires? Whatever it is it feels 10X more important to have a decent group than even Crota or VOG.

Given that, and the ease with which you can waste hours of time and still not beat skolas in some groups, I've started to consider a new strategy. Well I'll give you an example, a guy I played with yesterday was using Pest Control Matrix as his primary. Now he was a good guy and not a bad player but come on, a kinetic auto rifle? Meanwhile I'm sitting here with Fatebringer, the best of the best for Fallen. Then you get so many kids. So many people who have no business trying skolas, but are just dumb and want to run it anyway because dumb. You know you are in trouble when you invite a new person from LFG at Skolas and the first thing they do is "how come my invite's not working?" That tells you they've never joined on skolas before, probably haven't even played skolas before, and more than likely you're doomed before you even start. Another guy was using Hunger of Crota as his launcher. At 331. Which probably means burn Skolas last third is out. Actually these aren't egregious examples.

Anyways I was thinking the best way is to start your own group on LFG rather than join one as is my normal way. Then, simply kick the crap players that come in, maybe after a round or two as you see they're crap because you wont necessarily know right away, and bring in new ones. I'm seriously considering starting to do this. But just dont know if I have it in me to kick people like that. I've done it a few times before but always kind of on a spot basis when others left and left me as leader, or after somebody ignored my ad requirements in the prior scenario: (Example, be a Warlock or titan and have gally and experience beating skolas, person turns out to be a 12 year old hunter with no gally and no xp).

Or another good thing would be an easy way to check how many skolas clears somebody has before joining them or inviting them. I guess you can do this on Destiny Tracker, but I'm not sure how fast it would be, and a lot of times you need to respond to an LFG post quickly, particularly if you're trying to get lucky and join on Skolas.

That's another thing, I think the whole join on Skolas may not be a great idea, it means you are joining a team that likely has already failed a lot...however the lure of bypassing the first 5 rounds is often just too great...

Last edited:
2nd try...if you are so good why are you dying? :LOL:
You're misinterpreting my posts in thinking that I'm trying to say that I'm "Mr Awesome" when in reality I'm simply defending my strat and showing how it works and that it's not dumb. If it's working for us, why change? If this strat was so dumb as you say, how are we completing it with ease? etc.
Would you switch strategies if you were completing it without difficulty and found it to be effective?

If it's cake to clear out ads then it's cake from the platform too! That's what you always ignore, "Oh I'm so good ads are so easy". Then they should be easy from right plat too Mr Ace :)
It's not as easy to clear out ads when staying in one spot the whole round... that's precisely why we circle. Sure revives are easier since you're all guaranteed to be together. But at the same time, if you circle together and avoid the middle, revives are also easy and you'll probably die less from ads.
It may not necessarily be hard to kill ads from the right platform, but why make it harder to clear out ads when you can circle and make it easier to do so?

And no, usually with the rotate strat you end up having to leave somebodies orb behind and circle back to it a lot of the time. Lets say if Skolas teleports onto left plat for example and somebody dies. Dont pretend this doesn't happen frequently. So you run ten miles for nothing as always. Then it's 10X more complicated if poison is involved.

Do you realize on right plat every time somebody dies here's what you do: Nothing. Stay there, kill ads, revive them in 30 seconds. It's glorious!

Once you do the right strat you just realize how intrinsically dumb rotate strat is, that's all. Since you've never done it, you wouldn't know. Running thousands of miles and wasting your breath for no reason is all you know.
Oh stop exaggerating... you don't run thousands of miles. You only circle if things get too crowded and to make it (10X!!!! :)) easier to clear out ads. And passing the essence is just as easy since we always pass the essence before circling. So really, the only advantage to your strat is that you don't have to circle a few times in a round.

And I don't know about you, but I'd rather shoot Skolas from a distance rather than close up, which is another advantage of circling.

Have you even tried it once?
No, but I know for a fact that it's easier to kill ads when you circle. And since circling and passing the essence is not an issue for us (and shouldn't be for anyone if you do it right) then why stay in the same spot when you have every enemy on the map, including skolas, shooting at you?

Last edited:
But your team is so good they never die...but clearing ads from right platform is way too hard for you guys :p

Ok seriously I dont know or care anymore, I think all ways can work and it probably doesn't matter that much. Just finished an easy run where we "circled" (or more like cut through the middle a lot TBH). Anyways most runs are kind of a hybrid, staying most on right plat, but circling occasionally.

I have come to realize last week's modifiers made right plat strat seem better than it is. So many people complained about lightswitch last week, but 9/10 times you're only getting meleed on left plat or maybe while running. On right plat the captains or vandals only jump up rarely, and only in one specific spot (right side) that's quite easy to defend if you're watching for it, especially with 3 people up there. They will never jump into the middle or left. And even beyond that small arms made taking care of them with primaries even easier than normal. So last weeks "problem" modifier was one that is easily handled by right plat strat. Then, the problem with right strat is if you get overwhelmed by ads/skolas. But small arms made it much easier to control ads last week than this week. This week I feel like there are instances where you just get overwhelmed on right plat, although again it probably comes down a lot to how well the whole fireteam is controlling ads.

Oh and no primary from skolas again. I'm 2/12 on getting a primary. Which is literally pretty much the only loot I'm playing the game for anymore besides Bones of EAO. Hopefully Xur at least sells leg engrams this week if nothing else...

Back