Iwata passed away

Even though I moved away from Nintendo systems years ago, this is a sad day in gaming. The man was an icon of the industry.

Last edited:
Rest in peace Iwata. I hope he is in a better place now. While I am not into Nintendo that much nor I understood all his decisions, he was always true to his vision, a very noble one if you ask me.

Last edited:
quote-on-my-business-card-i-am-a-corporate-president-in-my-mind-i-am-a-game-developer-but-satoru-iwata-76-31-12.jpg

Iwata-san

This is shocking to hear. Regardless of my views of Nintendo leadership's decisions of late, Satoru Iwata was a true legend in his lifetime; this man was around in the Game&Watch days. He worked on those games! (Which I played as a kid...) A hardware engineer who made his way to the top to a large corporation, he wasn't some ivy leaguer brat (or Japanese equivalent anyway) who just sailed in on a shrimp cocktail... You don't see that every day anymore. This is a sad, sad day. :(

Rest in peace.

This is shocking to hear. Regardless of my views of Nintendo leadership's decisions of late, Satoru Iwata was a true legend in his lifetime; this man was around in the Game&Watch days. He worked on those games! (Which I played as a kid...) A hardware engineer who made his way to the top to a large corporation, he wasn't some ivy leaguer brat (or Japanese equivalent anyway) who just sailed in on a shrimp cocktail...
His official Nintendo bio says he didn't join the company until 2000? :?: 1983-1999 he was at HAL Laboratory.

As far as I know he was never into hardware design. And he made his first game (some Star Trek thing) on a calculator!

Anyway, very sad day.

His idea of the games and gaming is opposite of mine but he brought joy to millions. Just like his former boss Hiroshi Yamauchi, he was sort of a rebel in modern tech biz. Even if you don't agree with him, that feature got to be respected.
RIP

Back