Stuff that mostly has nothing to do with Satya Nadella or Microsoft's Difficult Decisions *SPAWN*

You are out of date.
That's a strap on, not an interchangeable lens system.
However, I find the premise of someone wanting to carry around a lense or lenses but has a problem with carrying the camera itself, pretty odd.
I'm talking tiny lenses. 18-800mm focal lengths in lenses a few cms long, where you can fit a whole array of primes and zooms in a pocket-sized container. Fundamentally a camera body and phony are similar in terms of hardware. I see nothing wrong with the idea of sharing tech, so maybe a body you can drop a phone into to provide camera controls and a lens mount to the phone's sensor. Then take it out of the body and use it as your PC with wireless KB+M+display. Then connect it up to the TV and play console games on it.

That's a strap on, not an interchangeable lens system.
I'm talking tiny lenses. 18-800mm focal lengths in lenses a few cms long, where you can fit a whole array of primes and zooms in a pocket-sized container. Fundamentally a camera body and phony are similar in terms of hardware. I see nothing wrong with the idea of sharing tech, so maybe a body you can drop a phone into to provide camera controls and a lens mount to the phone's sensor. Then take it out of the body and use it as your PC with wireless KB+M+display. Then connect it up to the TV and play console games on it.

I just googled and pasted the page of results, but interchangeable lens systems (at least thats what they call themselves) do exists for at least the iphone.

You can buy adapters that allow your iphone to take advantage of SLR lenses from different manufacturers. You may call it a "strap on" but you can technically call any adapter that allows a SLR camera to use lenses from different manufacturers a "strap on".

Someone may some day produce tiny interchangeable lenses that give SLR like quality. But thats a limited market because not many (especially professionals) are going to buy them when it will probably be cheaper to buy regular lenses whose cost of production aren't burden with minimization so they can fit on a smartphone or in your pocket.

I imagine any one who is already heavily invested in this hobby to be more readily attracted to a strap on that allows them use of their current stock of lenses, where the biggest chunk of their investment probably lies.

Last edited:
The leaks are showing a smartphone sized curved sensor with an F1.2 lens, only 4 elements. This is 2 stops wider aperture than the iphone which is F2.4 with 5 elements.

Teleconverters would become much more usable with such a wide aperture. I imagine a stock F1.2 at 35mm, a clip-on 70mm F2.4. On such a small sensor, beyond F2.4 there's diffraction issues but it could be 140mm F5.6 too.

You can buy adapters that allow your iphone to take advantage of SLR lenses from different manufacturers. You may call it a "strap on" but you can technically call any adapter that allows a SLR camera to use lenses from different manufacturers a "strap on".
The lens doesn't match with the sensor but goes through the iPhone lens. Hence it's a strap on. An interchangeable lens system replaces the entire lens in front of the sensor, matching every element as per the lens design.

Someone may some day produce tiny interchangeable lenses that give SLR like quality. But thats a limited market because not many (especially professionals) are going to buy them when it will probably be cheaper to buy regular lenses whose cost of production aren't burden with minimization...
The major cost of lenses is the glass. Small lenses are cheaper. Tiny lenses needing fewer and smaller lens elements will be far cheaper and more portable. It's The Future!

I imagine any one who is already heavily invested in this hobby to be more readily attracted to a strap on that allows them use of their current stock of lenses, where the biggest chunk of their investment probably lies.
If people were happy with their lenses, lens sales would have stopped - they last a long time! People keep buying lenses because 1) They're expensive so you can only get one once in a while. 2) You can always get a better quality version of your current lens unless you're a crazy, rich pro. 3) People change model and format.

Hear me and heed my wise words - one day someone will introduce a new camera with curved sensors and cheaper glass, and the photo world will take note. And then someone will produce tiny cameras (probably superzooms rather than interchangeables) and a cameraphone with a 28-400mm zoom built in, and it'll be popular.

I'm presently eyeing a tiny superzoom because it packs so much camera into such a portable space. Quality isn't what I'd like, but it's so dinky and has such a wide range, it'll get far more use than my interchangeables.

Last I've seen it has longer animation, not a better speed. Apps were supposed to be universal since Win8.
I've never tried a Windows Phone, but has had Android for a long while. Sometimes the charger doesn't work, it works with USB now. Today while signing in this forum from my PC and without touching the phone, it suddenly turned off, my Samsung Galaxy was stuck on "downloading... do not turn off target" "Factory Mode" (in red letters) for whatever reason. Add to that the poor battery management, and other features I don't lije, I hope to have a phone that I can integrate with a more unified set of services.

If I can use it with my PC, console or tablet, then I can see why switching from Android to Windows Phone makes sense in my case.

The lens doesn't match with the sensor but goes through the iPhone lens. Hence it's a strap on. An interchangeable lens system replaces the entire lens in front of the sensor, matching every element as per the lens design.

Ahh phooey. Thats a product of the a camera world. In the smartphone world the iphone lens is an element of the system.

The major cost of lenses is the glass. Small lenses are cheaper. Tiny lenses needing fewer and smaller lens elements will be far cheaper and more portable. It's The Future!

Then why aren't any of us dropping quarter size lenses that cost a quarter on our SLR cameras right now!!! LOL. I imagine that unless every one becomes a photography zealot then the cost of lenses will never correlate with thier size.

If people were happy with their lenses, lens sales would have stopped - they last a long time! People keep buying lenses because 1) They're expensive so you can only get one once in a while. 2) You can always get a better quality version of your current lens unless you're a crazy, rich pro. 3) People change model and format.

Hear me and heed my wise words - one day someone will introduce a new camera with curved sensors and cheaper glass, and the photo world will take note. And then someone will produce tiny cameras (probably superzooms rather than interchangeables) and a cameraphone with a 28-400mm zoom built in, and it'll be popular.

I'm presently eyeing a tiny superzoom because it packs so much camera into such a portable space. Quality isn't what I'd like, but it's so dinky and has such a wide range, it'll get far more use than my interchangeables.

Photographers love having new toys and love indulging in their hobby or craft. Always have, always will. Good photography is product of having a great eye and of one's time learning and experimenting with their hobby or craft not how much they spent on their tools. A pro once told me the difference between an expensive DSLR and a good cheap DSLR isn't the quality of picture but rather all the external knobs and dials that allows for quicker adjustment versus the cheap camera that have the same settings but forces you to go through camera's software to change. For most its about having more control and more options faster or easier versus producing better image quality.

Last edited:
Checkout DxoMark One and Olympus Air.

Not sure they're going to take off but for better or worse, phones have taken over as the most common cameras used.

They're like the Kodak Instamatics or the even older brownie cameras of yesteryear.

Then why aren't any of us dropping quarter size lenses that cost a quarter on our SLR cameras right now!!! LOL.
I'm not sure what you're getting at. Photographers are doing this with the introduction of compact interchangeables, because they're more portable than SLRs and have cheaper, lighter lenses. But I'm talking about a massive shift to tiny, cheap lenses which still retain quality. That's something you can't have now. Unless you believe that every photographer with a pack of 4 kgs of heavy glass and a need for two flight cases when going on holiday would rather lump that around than a hip-bag with a full range of lenses of equal quality, how can you argue that smaller, lighter and cheaper without compromising visual quality (possibly improving it) isn't going to be significant?

I know I've basically given up packing my Nikon FX DSLR, lenses, tripod, and other miscellaneous shit when I travel, go hiking, or backpacking. I'd love a lighter system.

I've never tried a Windows Phone, but has had Android for a long while. Sometimes the charger doesn't work, it works with USB now. Today while signing in this forum from my PC and without touching the phone, it suddenly turned off, my Samsung Galaxy was stuck on "downloading... do not turn off target" "Factory Mode" (in red letters) for whatever reason. Add to that the poor battery management, and other features I don't lije, I hope to have a phone that I can integrate with a more unified set of services.

If I can use it with my PC, console or tablet, then I can see why switching from Android to Windows Phone makes sense in my case.

I've had a Windows phone for nearly 2 years now. Although, I've had an Android tablet, an Ipod and Ipad, for phone functions, I'm glad I went with it. I chose it pretty much because of how simple the interface is (since I was choosing it for the wife as well). No issues with it at all.

One thing I wish it would improve is the native text app. It gets the job done well, but it is very vanilla. I wish it had more colors and other options.

I'm not sure what you're getting at. Photographers are doing this with the introduction of compact interchangeables, because they're more portable than SLRs and have cheaper, lighter lenses. But I'm talking about a massive shift to tiny, cheap lenses which still retain quality. That's something you can't have now. Unless you believe that every photographer with a pack of 4 kgs of heavy glass and a need for two flight cases when going on holiday would rather lump that around than a hip-bag with a full range of lenses of equal quality, how can you argue that smaller, lighter and cheaper without compromising visual quality (possibly improving it) isn't going to be significant?

Cheaper to produce, yes. Cheaper retail prices, probably not. The move to smaller lenses to accommodate smartphones doesn't guarantee cheaper prices. What would encourage cheaper prices would be massive adoption. Everyone investing in DSLR are not running to pimp out their lense library as there are plenty of camera owners that don't buy beyond what comes in the box. What makes camera lenses so expensive now is the limited market they serve. Buying a camera is one thing, buying prime lenses and zoom lenses to expand one's capability is another.

Suddenly giving smartphones an interchangeable lens system (by your definition) doesn't mean camera lenses that are compact and designed for smartphones will suddenly start selling like hotcakes. If lens adoption was a matter of adding an interchangeable lense systems to more devices, all camera especially those produced by lens manufacturers would come with such systems.

But the camera market hasn't developed in such a way and thats most likely because the costs of providing such systems to all cameras doesn't produce the level of lens sales to warrant such action. And that strategy is probably a far cheaper endeavor than providing every smartphone with an interchangeable system that support specially designed lenses.

What you are proposing requires not only a massive shift in lense adoption but a massive investment in research and development in producing these small high quality lenses as well. You need mass adoption otherwise you end up with expensive products servicing a niche market.

Last edited:
I know I've basically given up packing my Nikon FX DSLR, lenses, tripod, and other miscellaneous shit when I travel, go hiking, or backpacking. I'd love a lighter system.

For casual photography around LA I use my Sony A7S with the Sony 24-240mm lens, good all around range that can capture just about anything without lens swapping and it's not too huge. I'll shamelessly post my Flickr link here just cuz: https://www.flickr.com/photos/132260244@N08/albums , I like to take casual non pro pics sometimes and I throw them up there on Flickr when I do. The eagle eyed gamer will notice a house from GTA5 in my pics :) Still even that combo is too big to take travelling, etc, so for anything else at this point my G4 phone camera will have to do since I always have that on me anyways. For lower light and indoors cell phones have a long way to go to catch up to a proper camera, but for outdoor use with typicaly ample light and deep dof they are maybe just a few technology hops away from being "good enough" compared to a proper camera.

Reactions: NRP
Back