Xbox : What should MS do next? *spawn

I mean why bother? They gave away the resources reservations, nobody is developing for it, they made change around the UI, etc.
The issue is no longer the price, it is a dead product as far as I can't tell.

Well some people still use it, and there's a small market for it on the PC and in research.

AFAIK Kinect still works with the new user interface as does the IR blaster, Skype etc, and the game utilities are still there if a game wishes to tie into them. I intend to get one, when I cave in and get a Bone for Halo 5.

Low cost and a handful of games and it could still serve a profitable market that currently nothing is serving.A truly pitiful level of support has always been its biggest problem.

Count me in as one that uses it daily, but really only for media functions and mostly for voice. It's very convenient being able to use voice to pause/play and to quick navigate to certain apps/TV channels, etc.

I'd be very happy if they added Cortana voice searches and even more voice functionality to it. Gesture controls definitely need more work as it is not reliable.

I don't use gesture control at all, but I use the voice control a lot. Kinect being an IR blaster is also great. Having all my crap turn on/off, and being able to adjust volume etc all from voice control is great.

Yeah, I'm considering turning it off in the options menu.

Maybe the problem with the new node is that it's more expensive per transistor than the existing nodes. Unless they can actually make a system that is smaller, and therefore needs a smaller cooling solution, it probably doesn't make sense to move to it. Why not build a faster Xbox One when they reach the next node? Because perhaps that way they can keep the price higher due to commanding a premium for more premium performance, and forget about cutting the price? I would love for a console maker to move away from the idea of having one static box for the whole of a console cycle. It works in mobile phones, and other consumer electronics, to have a continuous product cycle -- so why not have an S model in the same vein as the iPhone 6 will have a 6s.

Without changing the silicon they could probably clock a little higher, and enable the full size GPU. With faster memory they could easily squeeze out another 25% performance at lower power consumption. Why leave performance on the table simply because console makers have traditionally not done this aside from Nintendo's handhelds?

Without changing the silicon they could probably clock a little higher, and enable the full size GPU. With faster memory they could easily squeeze out another 25% performance at lower power consumption. Why leave performance on the table simply because console makers have traditionally not done this aside from Nintendo's handhelds?
I hoped that all the complexity with virtual this on top of virtual that on top of hypervisor this and that and Windows 10 joining the party soon that the software "Durango" could be mapped on not so different hardware. Though at this point I believe that MSFT needs more than a little clock tweak to close the gap with the PS4. The PS4 is known as a significantly more powerful system, getting closer to parity won't help, if they touch the hardware (more than shrink) their best option is to cut costs or make the system better than the PS4. The later sounds nice but it is unclear how early adopters would receive the news or if Publishers would appreciate working with another system. I wish they consider a redesign, the performance of the system do not match the money invested (on the SOC or the memory).

On the topic of shrink I wrote it make no sense to invest what must be a lot of time and money to ports complex IPs that AMD won't use for itself, actually it is worse it is porting obsolete versions of IPs AMD won't use (obviously) for itself. If one shrink the XB1 (or would apply to the PS4) why not use Puma+ cores or GCN 1.2, Hardware is compatible most likely. If you go there why not push the idea further? More than that in a world of popping out low level graphical IPA the concept of systems with locked down specs really shows its age.

Last edited:
Officially: XBO of today needs a 348Mhz boost on the GPU side to match the TF power of PS4. That's a lot more than a little boost lol, thats nearly over clocking 50%. But it will come with over 300GB/s bandwidth on esram lol, that might be pretty sweet.

I can't see Microsoft doing anything like this since I imagine developers would start to use the new machine as a baseline for their games and leave the initial owners a little upset.

Selfishly, I'd like a new machine sooner that absolutely annihilates the PS4's spec.

I just looked into Kaveri overlock inch and they got the GPU to go from 720mhz to 1023 MHz without voltage increases. !!! That's 300 MHz ! Hmm. Though it resulted in a 40% power increase, this is likely something both platforms don't want too much of. I am really curious as to how far both can be overclocked by on their stock cooler now.

On the topic of shrink I wrote it make no sense to invest what must a lot of time and money to ports complex IPs that AMD won't use for itself, actually is worse it is porting obsolete versions of IPs AMD won't use (obviously) for itself. If one shrink the XB1 (or would apply to the PS4) why not use Puma+ cores or GCN 1.2, Hardware is compatible most likely. If you go there why not push the idea further? More than that in a world of popping out low level graphical IPA the concept of systems with locked down specs really shows its age.

Who knows what they will do really? I figured if they shrink the chip why not take advantage of the improved process? They could re-enable the one GPU cluster they locked down, and increase the clock speed slightly? Essentially every console coming out the factory could be that little bit faster without any extra effort. Though it would be an interesting question to think about improvements given the fact that the resulting GPU on the 14nm process could be less than half the size of the existing Xbone APU.

I always thought the whole idea of console launches/generations was pretty ruinous. Why not get off the treadmill, and never launch from zero install base again? If they keep upgrading the console then the idea of a console generation is dead. I don't know however if they could justify, or afford, another generation.

Well, the good news for Xbox (and also PS) is that new consoles can probably be designed and launched faster from now on. It's basically a hardware design, but the software should essentially be the same. Now that it's standard x86 and PC stuff, an Xbox Two could theoretically run exactly the same OS that's running on the Xbox One. So if Xbox One has Windows 1X by the time the gen is over, all of the OS and services should run without any issue. It's actually pretty interesting because they should be able to keep two generations of console hardware and the PC uniform in terms of the OS and services. Forwards compatibility should be a very real option from now on as well.

Just saw this.
Xbox is coming to Windows6
The biggest Xbox franchises and the best of Xbox Live are coming to Windows 10. Start recording gameplay in seconds, compete against console players, and stream games from your Xbox One console to your Windows 10 device from anywhere in your home.

Footnote #6 -

6Broadband internet required for some features (ISP fees apply). Xbox Live features only available with supported games in Xbox Live-supported countries, see xbox.com/live/countries. Limited number of games available in 2015 that support cross-device play; additional games to follow. Stream to one device at a time; streaming with multiplayer from Xbox One requires home network connection and Xbox Live Gold membership (sold separately); Gold also required for multiplayer play on Xbox One. DirectX 12 only available with supported games and graphics chips. Game DVR only available with supported hardware. To check for compatibility and other important installation information, visit your device manufacturer’s website and the Windows 10 Specifications page. Xbox One, PC/Tablet and Phone versions of games all sold separately.

They're talking about the game streaming from Xbox to Windows 10, but I expect to see Windows ports of Xbox exclusives, just not necessarily when they're first released.
Yeah, when sales die down, they might as well push out a relatively inexpensive port, assuming the QA for PC HW isn't that much. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

A bit curious to see how Gears Ultimate will turn out.

It does feel like it's getting close to integration.

Lets say W10 takes off well, and MS is moving towards first-party hardware as evidenced by the hits to their Nokia group recently.

They can release an Xbox Tablet, Xbox Phone, and Xbox laptop which contain the same SoC as the Xbox One (a 14nm version), run xbox games in the same way, but also have the added advantage of being portable, and use desktop windows apps. If I didn't own an Xbox, and I didn't want the console, I would consider such a device, all it needs is HDMI out and be able to accept controllers.

For everyone else that doesn't want the full Xbox experience, they can still have some of those xbox games as well, just through the store, miss out on some franchises, but for the most part it works. They can sidestep the whole console war thing (and being underpowered) and it becomes about bringing individuals into the ecosystem, they don't care how you get in, the idea is that you just buy in and games are a gateway (to ensure you buy into Microsoft OS and store ecosystem).

I don't know if that's the model they want to go for, it might work for them.

That's who they should be competing with.

Might end up being a bigger win for PC gaming overall. I am sure if MS builds in a store front as a standard feature of the OS then it will be internet explorer and antitrust issues all over again, so we might see other DD services come packaged with the OS to facilitate choice.

Back