Rise of the Tomb Raider [XO, XOX, X360, PS4, P4Pro]

TressFX is developed by AMD and is now on its third iteration, i don't think CD did much other than implement it in their game, and if it looks great, why not? After all, Lara is an important part of how the game looks overall. The same tech is also being used in DE: Mankind Divided:

Dawn-Engine-4.jpg

Dawn-Engine-3.jpg

Dawn-Engine-2.jpg

And since square enix has a marketing deal with AMD, TressFX is probably going to be used a lot in their games. Very much like what Nvidia have been doing for a while in "Nvidia powered" titles. it's not just for looks but for marketing purposes as well, but it looks great to me so i am fine with it :D

TressFX is developed by AMD and is now on its third iteration, i don't think CD did much other than implement it in their game, and if it looks great, why not?

The resources would be better utilised in something that actually matters in the game, like draw distances, AA, environmental effects, AI, maintaining a stable framerate.

Hair does not make a better game. See it once and the novelty is gone, never notice it again.

Wasting resources on implementing advanced TressFX functions (processing resources and developer resources - you don't implement features like this with the flick of a switch) could certainly contribute to making a worse game though.

My biggest problem with Tress FX in the last TR games was that it was Lara-exclusive. Always looked a bit silly when Ms jumpy hair met up with the hair helmet squad during cut-scenes. (a problem with a really simple solution: just make a proper TR game with basically no other people in it:))

My biggest problem with Tress FX in the last TR games was that it was Lara-exclusive. Always looked a bit silly when Ms jumpy hair met up with the hair helmet squad during cut-scenes. (a problem with a really simple solution: just make a proper TR game with basically no other people in it:))

Yeah same thing with Nvidia HairWorks on the Witcher 3. It's probably done to save performance as it's already hard on the GPU to render one set of strands of hair. But like i said, there's no choice whether to include that or not, it's a marketing deal for AMD to brag about, nothing more, nothing less. It's fortunate that it looks good though!

It's a problem with all these bolted-on tech demos in general. They are designed to grab attention, and therefor have a tendency to clash with the whole package. The volumetric smoke in Arkham Knight and Assassin's Creed Black Flag looks pretty silly as well. Love how a simple pistol produces equal amounts of smoke as a broadside cannon.

TressFX is developed by AMD and is now on its third iteration, i don't think CD did much other than implement it in their game, and if it looks great, why not? After all, Lara is an important part of how the game looks overall. The same tech is also being used in DE: Mankind Divided:
Dawn-Engine-2.jpg

And since square enix has a marketing deal with AMD, TressFX is probably going to be used a lot in their games. Very much like what Nvidia have been doing for a while in "Nvidia powered" titles. it's not just for looks but for marketing purposes as well, but it looks great to me so i am fine with it :D
Bear looks ugly.
That's how bear should look:

I can't believe one of the most adorable showings I ever saw in the Internet came from a bear. :love:

More i see it, more it look like the hair (grasss etc ) particules setup running in Blender. ( Bullet for physic, i think the particules systtem is too Bullet ? And other 3D CGI software ) )

Yes the bear on the presentation is not really a good example, but well the model itself is not really good anyway, the point was just to show the texture skinning method.

This looks like the best LOD available for TressFX

1.0.jpg

SSS is much improved (among other things :p) since the DE of Tomb Raider 2013

ROTTR3.0.jpg

Motion capture and other stuff with the beautyfull Camilla Ludington, .. ( sadly daily put you some pub before )

Motion capture and other stuff with the beautyfull Camilla Ludington, .. ( sadly daily put you some pub before )
More...hype.

- The muscles of Lara will tense depending on the move she makes.
- Extreme cold weather pricks Croft’s skin with red patches.
- Her skin will wrinkle.
- Her eyes reflect light convincingly. Her hair moves more like a collection of strands than a set of shapes.
- Unlike many inferior game characters, her teeth don’t shine luminescent.
- When she climbs, the muscles on her back seem connected to one another. Her clothes crease and line according to the shape of her body.
- In Rise of the Tomb Raider, Lara Croft’s hair behaves more realistically, with 123 "parent" strands of hair controlling 30,000 "child" strands to give the artists more control.

Information from this great article of Polygon.

http://www.polygon.com/features/201...ruction-of-lara-croft-rise-of-the-tomb-raider

This picture show how Lara's clothes crease and line according to her body shape. :oops::oops:

2ahuwm0.jpg

Video:

A sentence I like from the article: "Making a human being is the most challenging thing when creating video games."

Rise of the Tomb Raider tech analysis by NX gamer:

- Dynamic day and weather system- Certain animals only available at certain times of the day
- TressFX beards
- Much more detailed facial animation, loses the plasticky look from the Remastered version
- Fully deformable snow, snow tracks can be used to stalk or be stalked, but given the dynamic weather, tracks can be covered up
- Blended animations smoother, Euphoria-like
- Same engine as Remastered version
- Post processing effects improved, better DOF and motion blur
- Lighting improved, more accurate

I want this damn it. :devilish: But not enough to want an Xbox One too. :S

I think it's pretty obvious that it's coming to PC and Ps4 sometime in 2016. MS are specifically marketing this game as a Holidays 2015 exclusive. If it were a PC/X1 exclusive they would label it "Console exclusive", if it was a X1 exclusive they would call it an... "Exclusive". The exclusive period might be anywhere from 3 to 6 months. Summer 2016 seems like a likely release date.

I want this damn it. :devilish: But not enough to want an Xbox One too. :S
Just keep waiting ;) I think when UC collection is released and all the games I wanted for Ps3 are remastered, I'm buying into PS4 - and picking up the games I wanted to play on PS4. I found that you'll never be able to justify a purchase with just a single game, gotta look across the board. People are often hyped for games that they know they can purchase, but if it's for a console you don't own, a lot of excitement is deflated because the real cost to buy into that game is console + game, looking north 400 easily. But if you can find a vast group of games and the right value for the console, you can probably find yourself buying in faster.

Back