*spin-off* Importance of Backward Compatibility Discussion

I think Wavey understood what I was getting at. However, your cynical response intrigues me though. Would you rather the CEO of a company that made your game say they would rather sell you a remaster before making their previous games backward compatible?
I'd be more interested if the console had both backwards compatibility and remasters but mostly because I'm curious about the effect of demand on the latter.

I'd be more interested if the console had both backwards compatibility and remasters but mostly because I'm curious about the effect of demand on the latter.

Yeah, I want turkey with all the fixings too.

Tommy McClain

Maybe I'm cynical but man with things to sell is happy to be able to sell more older things with little other revenue streams to more people. I'm not sure this is entirely an altruistic response in respect of what's "good" for gamers ;)

These are businesses. Why would you ever expect altruism?

Having said that, it is very good for xbox gamers as they get to play games they already own on newer hardware without having to pay for them again.

Sure Yves might make a small profit from selling BC titles but it will be extremely low volume.

The alternative is what should be attracting your cynicism.

Having said that, it is very good for xbox gamers as they get to play games they already own on newer hardware without having to pay for them again.

Sure Yves might make a small profit from selling BC titles but it will be extremely low volume.

The alternative is what should be attracting your cynicism.
Pffff the invisible hand of Adam Smith and other nonsense

Pffff the invisible hand of Adam Smith and other nonsense

Not sure of context there.

Are you referring to: Gamers asking for BC leading to BC being implemented leading to gamers saving money while also generating profit for publishers and pushing platform sales?

I don't expect altruism but I do expect a company to be more circumspect with their opinions about what is best for gamers when they really mean what is best (profitable) for themselves. It looks disingenuous, which is what it is.

From the quote below I assume the compatible titles arn't free am I wrong ?

Yes, You are wrong.

If you own the title as physical disc for x360 you simply pop it into the xbox one and you're good to go once it downloads the new package. If you owned the digital edition of the game on x360 then it instantly shows up in your "ready to install" list, so once you tell it to install then you're good to go once it downloads the new package. There is no cost at all.

The only cost is if you never owned the title at all. Then you simply buy it ONCE.

Maybe I'm cynical but man with things to sell is happy to be able to sell more older things with little other revenue streams to more people. I'm not sure this is entirely an altruistic response in respect of what's "good" for gamers ;)

Depends on the model because the film industry isn't really rolling in the dough selling back catalog DVDs but the cable industry extracts billion annually selling that same content.

Of course it isn't. MS believes there are lots of 360 owners reluctant to upgrade, and that BC will help push them en masse to Xbox One. Aaron Greenberg said as much.

Good point. IMO the demand would be still there, but significantly lower. If I take myself as an example; If my old games were to work on the new system, I would probably not have bought many remasters because even despite better graphics, the game-experience is mostly unchanged. There are exceptions though; Some games, like timeless classics, would be nice to see and play them with an upgraded engine; especially in regards to framerate, if for example the game on the prior console was running on its last leg (perhaps with a very inconsistent framerate here and there) but the progression in technology would mean that a remaster could solve quite easily.

If we did have backwards-compatibility, my bet is that the quality of remasters would have to be significantly better to compete with their older unchanged versions in order to achieve comparable sales. Simply upping resolution, some better textures and framerate might not be enough to get people to buy. So a bigger effort would need to be made, meaning a higher level of investment, meaning some remasters might not me made in the first place.

I think game publishers have a good deal currently with no viable BC solution (on PS4). It gives them the opportunity to make easy money off cheap remasters that are bought by many people due to 1.) limited attractive next-gen content and 2.) some classics remain attractive games [or collector items] for a life-time.

Last gen change PS2 -> PS3, I wanted BC due to limited offering of games on PS3 (my feeling at the time). But with the PS4 I felt there was more available or at least more games that I wanted to play. Another point for me at that time was that I had not played the latest PS2 games, which was different this time around. So I did not miss BC this time around, but MS BC offering is quite good I think, hopefully they get to have close to all X360 games available.

Backward compatibility in the home console market is over. The last backward compatible home console was the Wii U. It clearly didn't help that console to succeed, quite the contrary in fact (lower specs due to inclusion of Wii compatible hardware)

Did it help the PS3? Nope. And like the WiiU it even probably made it worse for the launch PS3 (higher price).

interesting examples and interpretations.
Wii won due to BC
Wii u only sold as many due to BC (lacking Wii u games)
pretty easy to interpret how you want really.
I personality think problems with wiiu, lacked games esp first party, and cost was high more due to tablet than BC. But this will probably drag topic of rails.

you say that BC on home consoles is now dead, I'd take that bet, as I suspect a couple next Gen consoles will have it, one way or another.

Remasters IMO are good if they're like Gears Ultimate or H2 Anniversary, redone/improved graphics. Bad if they're God of War or the Last of Us or Halo ODST, almost entirely the same graphics just maybe uprezzed.

the up rezzed, upped fps games becomes harder to justify if there is a way to play it via BC.

full remasters can still have a market though

Back