Nokia's Present & Future

it's also unlikely to see 64-bit native Android in the first months of its life, if at all.
Then why did Nokia feel the need to explicitly state the processor is 64-bit? That's quite disappointing from them to use such bad marketing gimmicks...

PS - I knew N1 isn't ARMv8, but your post was sounding as if you dismissed all 64-bit architectures for mobile.

Which brings up the point that even though the N1 has a 64-bit capable processor, it's not ARMv8 and it's also unlikely to see 64-bit native Android in the first months of its life, if at all.
Why?
Google released specifically x86-64 Android Lollipop to developers last month, it was the first 64-bit Android released for devs (Yes, even before ARM64)

It'll take a while for Nokia (and whoever else is involved, device partner relationships are complex) to QA a release they're happy with. Depending on cost, they might decide to punt on 64-bit entirely for this device.

It takes time, especially in Android land, for new software to be adopted.

So Microsoft announced today it will write off approximately $8 billion related to its Nokia destruction...uh, I mean acquisition.
Ouch to both companies.

From April 2012:

But I guess the deals that Elop made with Microsoft probably involve turning Nokia into Microsoft's puppet. Nokia will only release what MS tells them to.

Funny question: can't Elop and Nokia's Board of Directors be charged with corporate corruption or something?
Can they actually keep destroying the company's brand and assets on purpose, while firing thousands of employees every quarter in order to make it cheap enough for Microsoft to buy Nokia at dirt-low prices? Isn't that some sort of crime?

Nokia might have been the sacrificial lamb that Microsoft found in order to keep the "Windows" brand alive in mobile handsets, while Windows 8 for phones isn't ready for market.
If Nokia survives this WP7 fiasco or not.. I think Microsoft couldn't careless.
Or maybe they do care about getting Nokia to their knees in order to later purchase its thousands of patents and other assets for a nickel.

I'm a wizard!

It must've been so terrible for the Nokia mothership to receive north of 7 bln. without forfeiting the two key assets Nokia mobile held (HERE Maps and, respectively, the brand itself). Many tears were shed when the unsuspecting ignoramuses up there in Helsinki realised that they would not have to fire thousands of people and pay severance charges themselves while also potentially upsetting the government of their home country, which is rather friendly. Evil Microsoft and its Elop trojan horse came in and stole that privilege from them. Indeed, they must've hoped they'd at least get the great pleasure of paying their debts towards employees in China and India and the governments of those respective countries, thus closing off rather troublesome legal matters. Alas, it was not to be, for the sly Elop took that away as well and threw it at the foot of the devious Microsoft, with an evil laughter, and they sat out to sort those issues out, making faces at Nokia. The heart stops upon merely thinking about this horror, poor Nokia board actually having to live it.

It's clear that they entered deep depression, gasping over what little remained of their poor company, and sought poor consolation paying off +15 bln to acquire Alcatel-Lucent and strengthen an irrelevant business where they are still competing for the top. Unlike the phone business that had bombed for ages (basically eversince it started missing every possible train in a changing landscape) and which would have brought them great success through synergising sustained losses with increased irrelevancy if only it was allowed to be the umpteenth Android handset maker that has neither the cost structure that the Chinese companies have nor is Samsung, so as to be competitive in that space. If only we would have gotten to see yet another perfectly similar Android handset that is not the same coming from Nokia. If only...

Nokia also didn't sell their patents to Microsoft in that deal. They still have them.
Ah yes, it was so horrifying to think about how poor Nokia The Mothership got shafted that I forgot about the patent portfolio. So terrible to hang on to that while being paid.

guys. so where will NEW Nokia phone sold?

in Microsoft store?

or in reverse, where will New Lumia phone sold? in nokia stores?

I would be ashamed of mocking the firing of over 70 000 people in Europe, a large proportion of those being in my own country, along with factories and research institutes and their grants going down the toilet, due to mismanagement done on purpose from 2011 onwards.
But that's just me. I guess I have a soft heart.

@orangpelupa Microsoft will release what appears to be 3 models a year, and Nokia has announced they will come back to selling phones with Android in 2016 which is when they get their IP portfolio back from Microsoft.
But it'll be just the brand name and design. The phones themselves will be made by chinese manufacturers. Just like their N1 tablet (a largely non-successful ipad mini knock-off).
B-but on Android they won't get any differentiation...Yeah well, at least they might sell units and make money this time. Unlike anything they could've ever achieved with Windows Phone.

Nokia is a lot more than just phone, one could say that for their good service to insuring technological dominance (whatever US company it is) they got to buy Alcatel and bunch of patent without the French government or press to raise a finger or voice a significant opinion on the matter.

Personally I think the industry and market would have been much better off without Elop's destruction of Nokia and burning of Microsoft cash. Today we might have another viable portable OS (Jolla is trying with Sailfish, but Nokia would have had a much better shot at promoting MeeGo/Sailfish). Instead one of the best hardware manufacturers was gutted, an emerging linux-OS killed and a behemoth bled of their cash. How anyone can see that as anything other than bad is beyond me.

How anyone can see that as anything other than bad is beyond me.

It's deemed great because Nokia got 7bn for their business (which was worth >30bn before the burning memo IIRC) and they get to keep their IP in 2016, which is when absolutely no one cares about the brand in the smartphone world.
Yay for good decisions from honest Elop. :yep2:

Oh and they purchased Alcatel-Lucent, which is also something good that Elop apparently did, because although he hadn't been in the company for over a year after that happened, he most certainly inspired all those (less than half) employees that got to keep their jobs to do great stuff like he did.

They got

7 billion (as well as other investments/payments) instead of losing money.
The benefit of not having to pay severance packages to people they would have had to fire anyway.
The benefit of another company taking the PR fall instead of they themselves taking it.

Their phone business was on the way down. They saw it, their board of directors saw it, their app developers (who abandoned the Symbian platform long before Nokia did) saw it, the market analysts saw it... The only people who didn't see it are the people who think Nokia's smartphone business was in a good position.

Android wasn't going to save them. How well off are Motorola, Sony, HTC, and almost all non Chinese Android makers not named Samsung? HTC was once a leader in the Android handset business. Only Samsung is managing to hold off the Chinese makers, and it's questionable how long they'll be able to do that. Symbian sure as hell wasn't going to save them. App developers were already abandoning that ship before Nokia did.

And Nokia somehow establishing third smartphone OS ecosystem? The only way that would have happened is if they had beaten Apple to the punch with an OS and phone that people wanted to use and developers wanted to develop for. They came close with Symbian phones but got complacent and launch bug filled phone and OS after bug filled phone and OS with non-intuitive UIs that they basically let Apple and Google to punt them into irrelevance. Basically the same as Microsoft, the other dominant smartphone OS maker at the time.

Android only managed to do it by following a similar route that Microsoft had taken decades earlier with Windows. Make an OS and allow anyone and everyone to make a phone with it and advertise the hell out of it. Once established, there's no way to compete with it without dumping massive amount of cash into it. And even then your chances are slim. They basically out Microsofted Microsoft.

A 3rd phone OS has as much chance of establishing themselves as a major player against Android/iOS as an alternative OS has to establish itself against Windows in the desktop PC space. Microsoft has a chance if and only if phones get powerful enough that they can serve as desktop/laptop productivity substitutes (the same way they are gaining a foothold in tablets).

Regards,
SB

Back