Diablo 3 - Gamepad Edition

It's not great, but pretty good. You have an ancient amulet, which is supposed to be a 10% chance to drop. Roll off the lightning (useless for wizards except in gimmick builds) damage to crit chance. Another option would be a socket, but It really depends on how much crit chance you have.

Darn it....too late. I rolled of Vit to try to get the socket. I've probably tried over 20-25 times with no luck! Is there a certain way that you are supposed to roll? For example, when I look at the possible outcome list, it has a socket besides the damage stats. Does this mean I need to roll for damage first and then try to roll for the socket from that?

yikes!! Just noticed this!!!

Did you already roll off the vit? I hope not, vit is much much more valuable than lightning damage for wizard class!!! Your Amulet is an ancient so it has 106 more INT than a non-ancient max roll. I'd say that additional 106 INT is worth roughly 10% crit damage.

TR amulets always roll with INT, crit damage and vit. The only time you should roll off your vit if the random roll is crit chance or socket.

Yeah already rolled my Vit. I see it come up again when rolling, so I could change it back, but there goes my socket chance I guess. I guess I better hope to get another Tal Rasha amulet. I've been leveling up all day trying to get the Tal Rasha belt with no luck...sad.

I respectfully disagree with @specwarGP2

As you climb Greater Rifts as a wizard / dh any recieved burst damage will kill you instantly. One item's worth of extra vit is not worth it in this situation as the damage is so much higher than your life total. You rely on your life saving passive to be able to take that hit then you retreat until the cooldown has worn off.

Elemental +% is the most important DPS buff you can have as a primary affix besides crit. It's a separate damage multiplier and is only available on a couple of types of items. An amulet is one of them. If you want vit for more survivability, get it on other items, not your amulet. Not only does an amulet have elemental damage as a possible primary, it also has higher crit rolls than other items, so you should favor crit over vit also. Mainstat (in your case intelligence) is also prioritised above vit in general, as it provides not only DPS but also resistance.

An ideal amulet would have +10% crit chance, +100% crit damage, +20% elemental damage and a socket for a legendary gem.

Look here for a lightning build that (at the time of writing) had cleared GR54. I'm sure it's higher by now.

Check here for other top wizard builds.

Last edited:
Thank You checking them out now. I also need to do some more ruby gem hunting to continue rolling for that socket.

Edit: I still consider myself more casual than hardcore with this game so I don't mind experimenting with all of the advice. I appreciate all the ideas and inputs.

Last edited:
Yeah, experimenting is a lot of the fun!

I made a mistake. That first build I showed you would prefer +fire% as that is the primary damage dealer. Here is a lightning build that cleared GR52.

Finally rolled the socket. I estimate it took almost 40 tries and a lot of gems.
Now to try and get the belt and other weapons to test out.

That's very unlucky just to roll a socket, but if you get to the point where you're trying to eek out an extra percentage on something then 40 rolls is not that uncommon.

There's a Leoric's crown variant that gives you double gem drops, (you put a gem in it and any gem you find will also spawn a gem of the type in your helm). Your gem woes will be over after finding that and doing a few runs with it every now and then.

That's very unlucky just to roll a socket, but if you get to the point where you're trying to eek out an extra percentage on something then 40 rolls is not that uncommon.

There's a Leoric's crown variant that gives you double gem drops, (you put a gem in it and any gem you find will also spawn a gem of the type in your helm). Your gem woes will be over after finding that and doing a few runs with it every now and then.

Yup, I got that crown. It's what I switched to for gem hunting. At one point I had 221 Marquise Ruby gems and sold half of them to make space before finding out I could increase my stash. I wish I had known that sooner---it would have saved a lot of time.

What's the gem stack size limit on console? You can have 5000 in one slot on PC.

I have no idea, but noticed that my character inventory opened up after I sold a bunch. With the upgraded stash, I'll not make that mistake again. Especially now that I now how important it is to rolling stuff. Funny mechanic that I never used despite leveling all classes to 70.

I had that crown and converted it to junk to have forgotten souls to reroll items. It was silly but I have no patience to reroll amulets as of now, still silly though. The one I have is really good already, and it's socketed with one of my legendary gems.
Darn it....too late. I rolled of Vit to try to get the socket. I've probably tried over 20-25 times with no luck! Is there a certain way that you are supposed to roll? For example, when I look at the possible outcome list, it has a socket besides the damage stats. Does this mean I need to roll for damage first and then try to roll for the socket from that?
The best way to reroll is choosing one of the main stats, the secondary stats, split from the main ones and below them, don't provide your items with a substantial stat if you reroll them. Main stats can be rerolled to better numbers of the same stat, transform that stat into a socket, better cooldowns, resource costs reduction, enhanced damage percentages of some skills of your character, etc etc.

I have no idea, but noticed that my character inventory opened up after I sold a bunch. With the upgraded stash, I'll not make that mistake again. Especially now that I now how important it is to rolling stuff. Funny mechanic that I never used despite leveling all classes to 70.
It is very important to pick up and keep all the arcane dust, veiled crystal, reusable stuff and so on.

In addition, in order to save LOTS of space on your character inventory, go to your stash and place in your stash all the items contained in the anvil icon section of your inventory, plus all the items contained in the "+ sign" -except follower stuff which you can convert to junk and sell- and so on and so forth.

You will be able to pick up a lot more stuff without overwhelming your character.

As you climb Greater Rifts as a wizard / dh any recieved burst damage will kill you instantly. One item's worth of extra vit is not worth it in this situation as the damage is so much higher than your life total. You rely on your life saving passive to be able to take that hit then you retreat until the cooldown has worn off.

Elemental +% is the most important DPS buff you can have as a primary affix besides crit. It's a separate damage multiplier and is only available on a couple of types of items. An amulet is one of them. If you want vit for more survivability, get it on other items, not your amulet. Not only does an amulet have elemental damage as a possible primary, it also has higher crit rolls than other items, so you should favor crit over vit also. Mainstat (in your case intelligence) is also prioritised above vit in general, as it provides not only DPS but also resistance.

An ideal amulet would have +10% crit chance, +100% crit damage, +20% elemental damage and a socket for a legendary gem.

Look here for a lightning build that (at the time of writing) had cleared GR54. I'm sure it's higher by now.

Not so sure about how squishy is the wizard, but my DH dies a lot. What I found very useful has been using the Boar as my pet. It doesn't do much but it is a life safer. With the 30% damage reduction from using Rain of Vengeance with Natalya's set and the Boar -passive skill, 20% damage reduction from all damage types- the DH is surviving more, even on level 32 Greater Rifts.

Actually, I like all pets and it's a very difficult choice. The wolf can be very useful in parties 'cos of the enhanced damage. The spider seems to be really cool to slow all enemies.

The ferrets are quite amazing, and add a 10% increased speed -helping Strafe, for instance. And the bat is nice to have at all times.

But I am going boar for now, Urshi gave me a level 36 Greater Rift keystone and I don't see myself surviving that, but we shall see.

The really good Crashing Rain belt dropped for me a couple of days ago. It features this bonus "Rain of Vengeance also summons a crashing beast that deals 3942% weapon damage". :oops::oops:

It's nuts. I am dealing around 1,400.000.000 damage in the very first hit of Rain of Vengeance -around 200.000.000 for the rest-. Gotta enhance Area Damage and it's a one hit kill of large mobs, or is Area Damage useless?

It is very important to pick up and keep all the arcane dust, veiled crystal, reusable stuff and so on.

In addition, in order to save LOTS of space on your character inventory, go to your stash and place in your stash all the items contained in the anvil icon section of your inventory, plus all the items contained in the "+ sign" -except follower stuff which you can convert to junk and sell- and so on and so forth.

You will be able to pick up a lot more stuff without overwhelming your character.

Cool tip. I never thought of doing that to save space and I'm sure I have a lot of those. Prior to playing with you I was selling all my recovered weapons/items instead of breaking them down. I didn't need the money, but wasn't crafting stuff so it seemed like a good idea at the time. Now I know better and to boot I have more gold than I know what to do with.

I have a bracer that converts gold to experience, so I guess I'm accumulating both. The other stats aren't so great, but until I get something better, I guess I'll roll with it.

Cool tip. I never thought of doing that to save space and I'm sure I have a lot of those. Prior to playing with you I was selling all my recovered weapons/items instead of breaking them down. I didn't need the money, but wasn't crafting stuff so it seemed like a good idea at the time. Now I know better and to boot I have more gold than I know what to do with.

I have a bracer that converts gold to experience, so I guess I'm accumulating both. The other stats aren't so great, but until I get something better, I guess I'll roll with it.
You are going to need that gold, trust me. Ah, don't forget to increase the quality of your gems to "Flawless Royal (insert gem name)". Those flawless royal gems are important....

You are going to need that gold, trust me. Ah, don't forget to increase the quality of your gems to "Flawless Royal (insert gem name)". Those flawless royal gems are important....

Yup. I've been doing that. I'm glad I didn't do it with all my Rubies though because I needed the types two steps down from Flawless Royal for my amulet re-rerolls.

Edit: I'll probably be on tonight after dinner.

The build you linked to is a double mammoth hydra build. Mammoth Hydra is fire. The only reason wizards slot a lightning spell is for the Tal's meteor proc and Tal's buff stack. A lightning wizard is a gimmick build.

The ideal amulet is exactly as you posted, but a Tal's amulet can never roll that way because it always rolls with vit, INT and crit damage. That leaves only one random roll. If you roll crit chance or socket for your random, then you roll off the vit for crit chance or socket. Anything other than that, you keep the vit and roll the random roll to crit chance. Maybe a socket if I had perfect gear and gem type. 10% crit chance is almost always worth more than an additional 20% elemental damage.

It's nuts. I am dealing around 1,400.000.000 damage in the very first hit of Rain of Vengeance -around 200.000.000 for the rest-. Gotta enhance Area Damage and it's a one hit kill of large mobs, or is Area Damage useless?

Area damage is bugged in 2.2 and probably won't be fixed in 2.3. Don't bother with it. Nice ROV belt btw (almost max roll)!!

I made a mistake. That first build I showed you would prefer +fire% as that is the primary damage dealer.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/14927202620

LIghtning certainly isn't the strongest element for wizards, but if people are clearing >GR50 with them you can hardly call it a gimmick.

I've had a bit of a look round the interwebs, and fire is much stronger than lightning for wizards in the current patch. If I'd have known that before hand I probably wouldn't have suggested to roll off the vit. Sorry @BadTB25. Think I'll stick to monk rerolling advice in the future.

Last edited:
No worries on the advice guys. I probably would've stopped playing this game shortly after campaign if it wasn't for the posters/advice here. Now, I play the game daily in hopes of getting better gear/upping paragon levels.

While on it, what do you think about having a poison damage gem socketed onto the amulet. Right now it gives 2000% weapon damage on hit for 10 seconds in addition to my shock pulse (primary damage). I believe that was without any upgrades in rank which would up the damage potential.

I'm now up to Torment V in Greater Grift 21/22 solo with maybe a couple of deaths mostly due to getting trapped.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/14927202620

LIghtning certainly isn't the strongest element for wizards, but if people are clearing >GR50 with them you can hardly call it a gimmick.

I've had a bit of a look round the interwebs, and fire is much stronger than lightning for wizards in the current patch. If I'd have known that before hand I probably wouldn't have suggested to roll off the vit. Sorry @BadTB25. Think I'll stick to monk rerolling advice in the future.
GR 50+ is totally awesome (what's the average Paragon level of the characters performing such a feat?). I can complete level 32 GR now with a boar (but I am thinking about switching to Spider, does it slow down all the enemies on screen? that'd be perfect in combination with the cold skills) and level 36 GR is doable but I always miss it by 30 seconds or so, 'cos I die often even with a boar pet.

Back