No Man's Sky [PS4, PS5, XO, XBSX|S, PC, NX, XGP]

Or maybe a bit sooner:

EDIT: no, still not great, strange mix of different footage. But at least a little bit more.

IGN will have a month long spread of content regatding the game, they started with this great video. UI looks a lot like Destiny.

They ended it on a perfect cliffhanger. Can't wait for the next one. :D

Devmode will kill th emagic instantly, five minutes
the pc version with enabled DevMode will be the most AWESOME
of fun and then blandness frever! I would rather play this game really "real-ly" and soak in every bit of what happens with me in there. They really need to give a release date, I can give up MGS for this !

They should stop showing the game...I know that they are super proud of their game, but showing everything without letting reviewers discover stuff themselves will simply decrase the review score...

They should stop showing the game...I know that they are super proud of their game, but showing everything without letting reviewers discover stuff themselves will simply decrase the review score...
I don't know. They're either being way too vague still, or there isn't much interesting stuff to do in the game. It all looks so bland.

I mean, get to a planet, mine, buy and sell minerals, kill a goat and robots come after you? Some space battles? Lots of similarly bland planets to see.

I hope they're keeping the real punchline for later, or as a surprise, cause I've gone back to my opinion that the size of it has also diluted the fun factor immensely.

I agree with the sentiment, but actually isn't that every game? Simple, repetitive elements. What makes Elite fun when it's planet > buy > fly > shoot > planet? Or Uncharted when it's run > shoot > watch > run? I suppose something like UC is changing the visuals and context repeatedly to keep it fresh, whereas NMS is more tweaking the context. Ultimately, although the planets are all different, they fit a pattern that'll soon get logged and recognized and the majesty is probably lost.

I agree with the sentiment, but actually isn't that every game? Simple, repetitive elements. What makes Elite fun when it's planet > buy > fly > shoot > planet? Or Uncharted when it's run > shoot > watch > run? I suppose something like UC is changing the visuals and context repeatedly to keep it fresh, whereas NMS is more tweaking the context. Ultimately, although the planets are all different, they fit a pattern that'll soon get logged and recognized and the majesty is probably lost.
It's a bit different when the 'things' you do repetitively in other games are actually fun, and when the 'things' you see, albeit repetitively, in other games are not bland. A lot of other games grip you with their story, or gameplay, or anything else.

Here the sense of dilution, boredom and blandness pervades.

But again, I'm very much ready to be surprised! If they can.

It's a bit different when the 'things' you do repetitively in other games are actually fun, and when the 'things' you see, albeit repetitively, in other games are not bland. A lot of other games grip you with their story, or gameplay, or anything else.

Here the sense of dilution, boredom and blandness pervades.

But again, I'm very much ready to be surprised! If they can.

Or here the sense of being in wonder and being lost in the mega universe pervades. I don't see boredom at all here I see a pervasive sense of wonder everywhere. I see a chance of living a game )(Something I haven't done since STALKER:SOC). Its all about what would you do if you were a space wanderer ? if that doesn't make you fidget in your seat, I guess the game won't do anything to you ! I am very very happy that the game itself IS and does not throw in caricature fake characters to talk to etc. We all know all of them are fake when we play the games, here Its the world and you, do what you must to live and progress. I just hope there are oppressive planets and happy planets etc, which they hinted at.

and there were lots of points of interest shown in the video, I am sure IGN will spoil everything within this month. What actually makes me happy is that if this is the game of the month then it must be releasing real soon :p !

I'd hope I would not want to spend my time shooting rocks (they call it mining) and killing goats and ugly looking robots, that's for sure.
Then do what you want to do :D ! I will be finding species for starters, I just know it. Then I would try to go far as I can before getting killed. Then I would settle on one planet after bieing impractical and look for all secrets and sell as much stuff as i can to get a better ship and go even further.....after playing safe for as long as I can I would try to join either defending space stations or being a pirate who destroys space satations but knowing myself I will be the defender wherever I can !
Then I would find th emost hostile environment I can and try to find the rare stuff there dying many times in the process..........and it goes on :cool: !

I don't know. They're either being way too vague still, or there isn't much interesting stuff to do in the game. It all looks so bland.

I mean, get to a planet, mine, buy and sell minerals, kill a goat and robots come after you? Some space battles? Lots of similarly bland planets to see.

I hope they're keeping the real punchline for later, or as a surprise, cause I've gone back to my opinion that the size of it has also diluted the fun factor immensely.

It is exactly what I mean. The game is already losing its mojo because it was shown this often. If you would have experienced yourself that you can jump into a spaceship, start leave the planet, warp to the next system and land there, go swimming and meeting alien fish...you would have been in awe :)

Yeah, I'm not seeing much value in this approach to be honest. Seems unlikely to sustain your interest for multiple hours of gameplay.

We've had procedurally generated worlds for ages, I mean Elders Scrolls II: Daggerfall came out in 1996 and had a world the size of the UK with 15,000 towns, villages and dungeons to explore and yet the next title in the series Morrowind threw out procedural generation and had a world only 0.01% the size of Daggerfall - and they've stuck with this approach to worldbuilding ever since, which speaks volumes about the merits of procedural generation if anything.

In fact, you see Skyrim/Oblivion criticised for its cookie-cutter quests, NPCs and dungeons (which are all still somewhat procedurally generated) compared to a more hand-crafted RPG like the Witcher 3 (or worlds like GTA4/5s).

So I really don't know how No Man's Sky, which has far simpler mechanics than any of these open-world RPGs and boast vastly less hand-crafted content is going to somehow be as interesting to play as them.
The only thing it's got going for it is that they've bumped up the scale to 11 - which makes for a nice gimmick ("the largest gameworld ever") but of questionable value from a gameplay perspective (just like Daggerfall) and its space theme (which probably gives it a free pass, as people expect the cosmos to be vast but repetitive and featureless whereas they don't expect the same for a fantasy world or a GTA style spoof city).

Procedural generation is also still a technique that is ever more suitable, and there are always games that do benefit from them. Spelunky for instance is a pretty nice example. But yes, a hand-crafted approach can still be very good. Something like No Man's Sky could never be fully hand-crafted, but of course that's not to say a manual approach couldn't be more fullfilling. My three favorite space based games, Warhead, Wing Commander and Elite, neatly fall on the opposing ends of this, but if I had to pick one, I would probably keep Elite, which happens to be the procedurally generated one.

I actually believe "shy indie guy" is their PR BS marketing plan. :yes:
Yes, that's right; a few years from now all of the PR suits will be replaced with socially awkward geeks. It's the way forward.

Back