Diablo 3 - Gamepad Edition

By the way, seeing that you are going to be able to add a passive bonus from a legendary in patch 2.3, for you... what will it be?

Well you get to cube 3 legendary powers, so mine will probably be:

Jewelry: xepherian for lightning immunity or zodiac ring for cooldown

Wep: Calamity for marked for death

Armor: Crashing Rain belt for ROV so I can use witching hour belt instead

TBH, the cube doesnt have a lot of interesting choices for DH as it does for other classes.

Has anyone done the Hellfire events?
I've got the keys to make the Infernal machines, but don't know if I really want to go for it. It seems to require a lot of work to get the keys each time for a (possible) drop.

I'm on the X1, but it looks like you've got to get the keys each time for each portal. So to get all the requirements, I need to get each key at least 4 times.....right?

Yes you need all keys to make an infernal machine and all 4 infernal machines to try and get all 4 parts from the demon bosses. The hellfire amulet can be worth it if you get the right combination of sixes affixes with a good passive add it effectively means a 5th passive skill, potentially very powerful. But it's a lot of work to get the right one for your character unless you're very lucky.

Hellfire ring is absolutely not worth it.

As mentioned on the last page, HFAs will be worth farming in the next patch. Guaranteed socket and the keywardens drop machines directly rather than keys.

It will still be 16 times more efficient to farm in a 4-man group though. Splitting key (soon to be machine) hunting = 1/4 of the set up time, then all 4 players open portals together meaning they each get 4 times the organs as you don't have to spend your machine to enter someone elses portal.

As mentioned on the last page, HFAs will be worth farming in the next patch. Guaranteed socket and the keywardens drop machines directly rather than keys.

It will still be 16 times more efficient to farm in a 4-man group though. Splitting key (soon to be machine) hunting = 1/4 of the set up time, then all 4 players open portals together meaning they each get 4 times the organs as you don't have to spend your machine to enter someone elses portal.

Cool--thanks for the info, I guess I'll wait for the patch.

Most of the stuff I've found is about the PC version, so wasn't sure. My paragon is only lvl 101 because I was obsessed with getting every class to 70, but now that's done, I'm totally focused on getting my Wizard to be as badass as possible.

Most of my deaths are due to being trapped, but can't bring myself to swap out for the teleport skill.

From what I gather, apart from a couple of console specific features and seasons, current gen consoles get the same content patches as PC players. Here's a blue post on the upcoming 2.3 patch.

blizzard said:
The current plan is to deploy the PS4 and Xbox One patch at the same time as the PC as we have previously done. This is subject to change, though, so we'll be sure to keep you all updated as we get closer to the patch date.

From what I gather, apart from a couple of console specific features and seasons, current gen consoles get the same content patches as PC players. Here's a blue post on the upcoming 2.3 patch.

You piqued my interest, so I went looking into what may be included.
Found this vid, I like a lot of what he is speculating about.

The PTR has been running for a few days now, so first hand info is available.

Walkthrough of the various functions of Kanai's Cube:

Man, last few pages are complete greek to me even though I have paragon level 270 or something Crusader !

Can you guys guide me to some crusader builds too? I am getting Jaded of the Destiny grind and would like to explore the hardcore side of Diablo considering what you guys are talking about here. I had been running rifts everytime I played. What are the builds I can gof or and how do I go about it?

Sounds like a fun combo, however I won't pretend to know much about the skills of non monk classes. Anything that has synergy is better than random picks though, particularly if it works with a legendary gem.

Focus and Restraint always drop with a socket by the way. From what I gather the new and (in this case) reworked jewellery all does. Can't wait til the next patch drops and I can start farming Hellfire amulets again. They'll be getting a guaranteed socket which should help immensely with enchanting. I'd made about 30 before I got a decent one. Even with the passive it's not clearly better than my old Traveller's Pledge that had great crit rolls on it.

What is your character sheet elemental damage like (as in the total +% for your character for the elemental type of the rune of your main damage dealing skill)? It's a separate multiplier so increasing this is a key way to up your DPS. For monks at least, typical item slots that have the ability to roll this are bracers and amulet. It is often worth it to forego mainstat (dex) on your amulet to get elemental damage instead.
It sounds quite surprising you try Hellfire runs, I got most of the keys, maybe I have them all -not sure, I think I've missed a keygarden-, but it seems like a lot of hassle and I was focused on improving my character first.

What is your character sheet elemental damage like (as in the total +% for your character for the elemental type of the rune of your main damage dealing skill)? It's a separate multiplier so increasing this is a key way to up your DPS. For monks at least, typical item slots that have the ability to roll this are bracers and amulet. It is often worth it to forego mainstat (dex) on your amulet to get elemental damage instead.

I shall check tomorrow, to answer your question.

Hey, I have a bad habit of tweaking my posts after I post them, so please take a look again. I added some stuff about elemental damage you might find interesting.

The puzzle ring is a cool effect, but the end results of that affix are pretty weak and you probably won't notice a difference in collecting mats or useful loot. I'm sure you'll be able to find better alternatives. Any slight bonus you get in item collection, you almost surely would lose in farming speed if you had a more powerful affix.

One to seriously consider is the Ring of Royal Grandeur, as that will let you remove a weak set item and replace it with something that has it's own affix. Possibly the best though would be Unity. In case you don't know how this works, if you equip Unity on yourself and your follower, then give your follower the item that renders them unkillable, you take 50% damage... on everything. You've literally just halved all incoming damage, with no side-effects. Being able to have that and a focus and restraint is going to be very powerful indeed compared to where we're at now.

Oh and it's not just one passive bonus from a legendary. It's three. One from a jewellery item, one from an armor item and one from a weapon / offhand item. The theorycrafting and build variety is going to be nuts. I love it.

For me I've tried to get on the PTR to test a few things out, but the wait times to get on the server are 12 hours or so and ain't nobody got time for that. So, D3 is on the back burner for me until the patch hits.
Your likeness for Unity is understandable, I know where you come from after seeing the stars on a Diablo 3 homepage. Never a single Unity ring dropped for me.

This is the ring in a pic from the article I read when I found the stats:

The only issue I see with Unity is that it should only works with your follower, so coop gameplay is not an option, and the bonus of the ring is very vague, description wise, but if you use it as a passive skill, it sounds odd because you won't have the item physically if you know what I mean.

I just found my perfect secondary crossbow, courtesy of @BadTB25 who sent me an unidentified gift -I think that's a console version mechanic, it doesn't exist on PC afaik, I mean that gift thing-. The name of the legendary crossbow is K'mar Tenclip

Once you transmog it to have a 10% cooldown bonus, you are good to go. I use Icy Trail as my rune for Strafe, but K'mar Tenclip makes life easier adding this bonus:

Strafe gains the effect of the Drifting Shadow rune. (meaning two in one bonuses for strafe)

Man, last few pages are complete greek to me even though I have paragon level 270 or something Crusader !

Can you guys guide me to some crusader builds too? I am getting Jaded of the Destiny grind and would like to explore the hardcore side of Diablo considering what you guys are talking about here. I had been running rifts everytime I played. What are the builds I can gof or and how do I go about it?

Beats me...it's over my head too. I just equip the cool looking stuff and only just started thinking about combinations that made sense. Right now, my Wizard is doing pretty good (Paragon 106), but still get owned at times on Torment 3. I'm slowly learning though.

I almost stopped playing completely because it felt repetitive, but that was before Cyan started piquing my interest on the deeper aspects of the game.

Darn it....I had a unity ring and broke it down for parts just this morning.
Quick question....some of these Legendary gems seem a little useless to me relative to other items. Is there a way to get rid of them or break them down for something valuable?

No, you can't get rid of legendary gems. If you do drop one and leave the game, you will get it as a reward again after completing a greater rift. Which gems are you thinking of? There are certainly ones that are more useful than others, but it's quite dependent on your class and build. Probably the most often used is Bane of the Trapped as the level 25 ability triggers it's own basic ability, and the damage you get from it is a multiplier of your total damage, rather than additive like the Pain Enhancer gem. Sadly Blizzard don't make it clear on the descriptions whether any effect's damage is additive or multiplicative, you have to find that info online.

Don't want to make you feel worse about salvaging that ring, but unity rings are useless on their own. You need 2 of them!

@Cyan Unity is only something you use in single player, yes. You could use it in multi player, but in practice no one does that. It certainly works in the Kanai's cube, I saw someone do it online. The description basically means that anyone who is wearing the ring has their damage equally divided between them. Therefore if you're the only one wearing it, nothing happens.

Well you get to cube 3 legendary powers, so mine will probably be:

Jewelry: xepherian for lightning immunity or zodiac ring for cooldown

Wep: Calamity for marked for death

Armor: Crashing Rain belt for ROV so I can use witching hour belt instead

TBH, the cube doesnt have a lot of interesting choices for DH as it does for other classes.
The Witching Hour is the belt my DH is using now. I wear it but I don't see anything special about it. What's so cool about The Witching Hour? I have it because of the 30% critical hit damage, but that's about it. I am trying to transmog it to get the max cooldown reduction bonus for it.

I'd probably go with an item that adds Ambush passive skill to your arsenal, but never seen such a legendary.

Wish I knew more about the Crusader. I have a level 70 one but played it very little after getting to level 70. All I know is that it is so powerful defensively wise. I've been playing Greater Rifts -from level 24 to level 32- with another player and he was level Paragon 44 when I was level 250 Paragon.

Even with Awareness, Greater Rifts level 25 and up are a nightmare for my DH. I was one-hit dying at Paragon 250 while my Crusader partner was alive in the middle of the mob that killed me with a single hit. He sometimes died eventually where I died, but he was alive a lot more ime than me. I was the one doing the killing at the speed of light, literally. But we missed some level 27 and 30 Greater Rifts because of me not being able to be alive enough time. The punch is there, it's just that you can't survive no matter what.

No, you can't get rid of legendary gems. If you do drop one and leave the game, you will get it as a reward again after completing a greater rift.

Don't want to make you feel worse about salvaging that ring, but unity rings are useless on their own. You need 2 of them!

@Cyan Unity is only something you use in single player, yes. You could use it in multi player, but in practice no one does that. It certainly works in the Kanai's cube, I saw someone do it online. The description basically means that anyone who is wearing the ring has their damage equally divided between them. Therefore if you're the only one wearing it, nothing happens.

It's cool to have you and Cyan's expertise on this board (and others). Does the Legendary gems add to your inventory count? It seems that I'm always doing inventory management at around 52-53 items in my inventory all the time.

My stash is at 20/20, so no relief there. I have some green items that I guess I can break down that don't really appeal to me. I have 4 of those green item types right now----I guess I have trouble letting go.

Well your unused gems will need to be stashed, but the ones you're using have to be inserted into a jewellery item slot, i.e. ring or amulet. You only have 20 stash slots? Can you purchase more with gold? Not sure how that works on console. On PC you start off with 1 page of stash with the ability to purchase 4 more with gold.

@Cyan The reason witching hour is so good is that it's the only belt that rolls both crit damage and attack speed. Both boost your DPS obviously but attack speed also lets you generate more mana, leading to more skills, leading to... yet more DPS and survivability.

Well your unused gems will need to be stashed, but the ones you're using have to be inserted into a jewellery item slot, i.e. ring or amulet. You only have 20 stash slots? Can you purchase more with gold? Not sure how that works on console. On PC you start off with 1 page of stash with the ability to purchase 4 more with gold.

Hmmm. Never saw an option to purchase more stash storage, I'll have to look deeper into it.

I guess a workaround is to create a character as a defacto storage bin. It'll be tiresome switching heroes back and forth to access them though.

Yes, the dreaded mule characters. I have three of those already. I'm really hoping Blizzard gives us the option to get more stash space. They are already selling extra stash tabs (up to a max of 10) in the Chinese market, but that's a free to play model and being handled by a different company.

The Kanai's cube should help somewhat.

It's cool to have you and Cyan's expertise on this board (and others). Does the Legendary gems add to your inventory count? It seems that I'm always doing inventory management at around 52-53 items in my inventory all the time.

My stash is at 20/20, so no relief there. I have some green items that I guess I can break down that don't really appeal to me. I have 4 of those green item types right now----I guess I have trouble letting go.
Buy more stash, max is 60. There is an option to spend money in increasing the stash size when you click on the stash. No wonder you have a bit of trouble advancing your character at times.

Thanks for your words. I was an expert on Diablo 2, in Diablo 3 I consider myself an average player. Most of the tips I gave you on Xbox Live were from my own experience, sure, but also from the things I learnt from @homerdog , @AlphaWolf , @Malo , and of course @specwarGP2 and now a bit of @tabs . With those teaching you can go a bit more far.

It wasn't until I learnt those things that I could help others like you in a more efficient manner. Still... you need to apply your own logic, 'cos I know realise the many mistakes my character had 40 Paragon levels ago.....

@tabs , thanks for the explanation, as usual.

Last edited:
Back