Is Chrome broken or is this intended?

OK, so I restarted my computer the other night and I'm guessing Chrome did an automatic update (Version 42.0.2311.90 m).

When I started it back up I notice that I can no longer access any site settings in Permissions when you click on the little icon next to the HTTP address in the address bar unless I'd previously made an exception for that site in the past.

Uninstall/reinstall and nope, still gone. Settings/Advanced - Reset and nope, still gone.

Did Google remove this functionality and deliberately make Chrome worse? Is there a way to put it back to how it was?

Without that functionality, Chrome is basically worthless to me. I used to use it to help manage which sites were allowed to use Javascript and/or addons. I basically use Chrome with a whitelist (all sites are blocked from using Javascript/addons unless I specifically allow them to). That site settings under permissions in the address bar was a nice easy way to add/remove a site from my whitelist. Without that I'd have to manually go to into settings, find the appropriate section, manage exceptions and then enter it. A royal pain in the butt. If I have to do that, I might as well just go back to using IE to access all sites.

This is F@#$ing retarded. They just removed one of the only features that makes me want to use Chrome in the first place despite the horrible, IMO, UI.

But maybe they aren't that retarded and something is actually broken and you guys can help me fix it. Or maybe there's a hack to put it back in.

Regards,
SB

OK, so I restarted my computer the other night and I'm guessing Chrome did an automatic update (Version 42.0.2311.90 m).

When I started it back up I notice that I can no longer access any site settings in Permissions when you click on the little icon next to the HTTP address in the address bar unless I'd previously made an exception for that site in the past.

Uninstall/reinstall and nope, still gone. Settings/Advanced - Reset and nope, still gone.

Did Google remove this functionality and deliberately make Chrome worse? Is there a way to put it back to how it was?

Without that functionality, Chrome is basically worthless to me. I used to use it to help manage which sites were allowed to use Javascript and/or addons. I basically use Chrome with a whitelist (all sites are blocked from using Javascript/addons unless I specifically allow them to). That site settings under permissions in the address bar was a nice easy way to add/remove a site from my whitelist. Without that I'd have to manually go to into settings, find the appropriate section, manage exceptions and then enter it. A royal pain in the butt. If I have to do that, I might as well just go back to using IE to access all sites.

This is F@#$ing retarded. They just removed one of the only features that makes me want to use Chrome in the first place despite the horrible, IMO, UI.

But maybe they aren't that retarded and something is actually broken and you guys can help me fix it. Or maybe there's a hack to put it back in.

Regards,
SB
Maybe you found a bug. I don't use Chrome so I can't help you with that. I use IE 11 because it feels more secure to me. It's not without its issues though. Sometimes when you have quite a few tabs open, some of them reset for no reason or don't respond for a couple of seconds, and things like that. Still, it feels safer to use than other browsers, and that's why I use it, but I can't wait for Spartan, I am a bit tired of some of those IE issues. The lack of Paste & Go feature is also an annoyance.

Nope looks like it was deliberate. (http://googlechromereleases.blogspot.com/2015/04/stable-channel-update_14.html )

There are sooooo many people pissed off at Google at the moment for some of the most boneheaded changes I've ever seen in a browser update.

Thank god, I found a way to revert one of their horrible "upgrades." The stupid ass new bookmark system.

Reading through all the comments to see if anyone has found a way to revert the changes to how the permissions icon in the address bar works. If there isn't a way to revert it... Bye-bye Chrome.

Regards,
SB

What they plan to do with Silverlight is going to hurt our company as the project planning software used it and it ran better in Chrome.

Yeah, right now I'm just soooo very glad I don't have a Chromebook or convinced anyone to get a Chromebook. Poor people are going to be stuck with no choice in using something that might actually work for them.

Unless Google, makes a complete 180 on many of their decisions with the latest release of Chrome, I don't see how I can continue to use the browser.

Time for me to look at alternatives for a second browser. Really hate this s@#$ as I'd finally gotten pretty comfortable with Chrome despite my niggles with it.

Regards,
SB

I simply can't do without Chrome profile sync anymore. Do any other browsers support that?

SB I still can access it by right clicking on the page or lock at the beginning of the omnibar (just before http:// etc.).

SB I still can access it by right clicking on the page or lock at the beginning of the omnibar (just before http:// etc.).

You can actually change permissions for sites (plugins, javascript, etc.) directly from the page? Because I still can't do it on all my machines unless a new version of Chrome was rolled out while I was asleep.

I still have to click on site settings to get to site settings from where I can click on things to change page permissions. Unfortunately, that is extremely clunky and time consuming. What is odd, however, is that you can alter settings directly from the page of settings you have previously changed from default. What???

And exposes another extremely user unfriendly feature. Since I use a white list method of granting permissions, I have to go in and enter sites where I want javascript to use. A proper implementation, like IE, has either a dedicated box for entry or has you enter it at the top of the list. Google Chrome for some unknown reason has you enter it at the freaking bottom of the list. Which means once you have a lot of entries, it becomes a royal PITA to enter in new sites as you have to scroll all the freaking way to the bottom before you can enter in a new site.

My theory about all of this shit is that since Google relies on Ad-Revenue from web pages, they want to make it as difficult as possible to change settings that would interfere with generating Ad-Revenue. But they'll make it as easy as possible to restore the ability to generate Ad-Revenue.

I'm really starting to dislike Google even more and more. And to think they used to be one of my favorite companies.

Regards,
SB

Strange fonts behaviour with Google Chrome occurring in eurosport.yahoo and facebook. :eek:

dxffrr.jpg

Google is horrible with their updates. Not only on Chrome but also across all their products. Anybody used Maps, Keep, G+, etc heavily will understand the suffering.

They really love to change something, remove something, add something. With no option to revert back.

The worst offender I experienced is the changes in Google Maps.

The new Google maps has made Yahoo maps known.. and that one, Yahoo is retiring it!
I have just used Bing maps which seems slow but good ; I heartily recommend using Google Earth if you feel like it, or do some long exploration, or if your PC can't keep up with the web based maps (sigh)

My theory about all of this shit is that since Google relies on Ad-Revenue from web pages, they want to make it as difficult as possible to change settings that would interfere with generating Ad-Revenue. But they'll make it as easy as possible to restore the ability to generate Ad-Revenue.

I'm really starting to dislike Google even more and more. And to think they used to be one of my favorite companies.

Regards,
SB
I missunderstood, you are right and I share your view wrt Google as a company I can't yet completely pass on their services but I find myself more and more trying what the competition has to offer.

Yeah, I'm back to using IE11 (my god it's slow) as my main browser again with Chrome only used for sites that I need to run Flash on.

Win10 and the Spartan browser can't come out soon enough for me. Although I have a feeling I'm going to absolutely hate the new UI for it.

Regards,
SB

Back