[Console Edition] Satya Nadella: "We are going to make some difficult decisions"

Status
Not open for further replies.
They'd be just another handset maker, and the competition for Android is brutal. I wouldn't intrinsically consider a MS handset as any more worthwhile than any other handset. If they want to go Android, just produce Android apps. But ultimately it's the stores/subs that make the money (unless you can sell premium hardware to boot) and tying everyone into the Windows ecosystem is the very best way for MS to secure that. Surface 3 has finally seen MS make money from Surface, and it's because S3 is a professional, Windows product running full-fat Windows.

Honestly, anything other than 100% Windows Everywhere is the Wrong Move.

I think if Intel can ever fully execute on their low-power processors, the endgame of a phone running Windows 10 that you can just drop into a dock to get a full desktop PC experience is a very compelling concept.

With the software on the phone, the dock could house the processor. As long as you have one executable, portability is ensured.

Just to play devils advocate, what do you guys think about Microsoft ditching Winphone and just going with Android? Yeah they bought Nokia for a chunk of change but back then they thought they could be a major player selling Windows phones. Clearly that hasn't panned out so instead why not standardize on Android? They are fast becoming more of a services company anyways with their end game having people paying recurring fees to use Office, Onedrive, and all that so why not put out their own version of Android phones which are stock Lollipop (perhaps with a light skin like they all do) and have all Microsoft apps pre-installed on it. In the end they aren't a hardware company like Apple which makes the bulk of their money on profits from hardware sales, they are a software company to whom the hardware really is a means to an end. Maybe that's one of the 'touch decisions" they are contemplating.

They are already doing what you are proposing in the tab space with Sony, Samsung, LG, Dell and 27 other manufacturers already on board. In the smartphone space, certain models of the s6 and s6 edge currently come with MS apps preinstalled.

But that doesn't warrant shutting down their win phone division. They are selling around 30-40 million smartphones a year and depending on what happens during this next reporting period will probably pull in close to a billion in profit.

While Android and iOS can throw out figures such as billions and 100s of millions when talking about shipping devices, that doesn't mean that shipping out just 10s of millions of phones is an unworthy endeavor for MS.

I think if Intel can ever fully execute on their low-power processors, the endgame of a phone running Windows 10 that you can just drop into a dock to get a full desktop PC experience is a very compelling concept.

Yeah that's definitely the endgame. We all saw how laptops got powerful enough to make desktops not needed anymore, and phones will obsolete laptops the same way with "dock laptops" that you slide your phone into and have a working laptop, or same with a desktop phone dock to have a working computer at your desk. Seems like it won't be that long before the phone is the only computing device most people need as it'll be able to serve as the brains for phone use, laptop use and desktop use. It's just the software holding things back, they need to make software that works both small screen, large screen, touch and mouse.

They are already doing what you are proposing in the tab space with Sony, Samsung, LG, Dell and 27 other manufacturers already on board. In the smartphone space, certain models of the s6 and s6 edge currently come with MS apps preinstalled.

I'd heard about that but I think some of the phone carriers but the kibosh on Microsoft's plans by removing some of their pre-installed apps. Seems like Microsoft would have to go more all in to get the carriers to play ball. In any case was just a thought.

I've really enjoyed using 8. I'm still getting the latest updates for my old Lumia while my friends' newer Droid phones are being pushed out to pasture. I don't see why a phone couldn't last as long as a laptop, and MS are perhaps the closest to seeing things in this way.
Oh, I expect that's as much a deed of necessity as it is the goodness of their hearts. If Windows Phone starts getting serious traction (enough to genuinely interest third parties again), I expect MS would have to take a long hard look at what kind of mobile OS provider and/or phone manufacturer and/or service delivery system they desire to be.

Last edited:
Regarding the next Xbox, I wish MS would let the Surface team have a go at making a premium device. Especially if they actually deliver on their "buy once, play anywhere" vision. That would be sweet because I'm planning to get a Surface device one if these years anyway.

If you want to bring this into a Windows Phone VS Android VS iPhone I don't think the console forum is the correct venue.

I will say that as much as I am enjoying the integration of windows, MS will have to pull my Nexus out of my cold, dead hands in order to get it.

Google is just friggin awesome. For example, this morning my girlfriend sent me a text message and asked me "Where are you?". When I went to respond, it automatically came up with a text box that I could reply in - sure, but it also popped up another button I had never seen before that said "Share location". So I clicked on that, and instead of responding to her text via text, it sent her a google map GPS location of where I was.

How friggin cool is that?

I've never used a windows phone, but I've read reviews and whatnot and as much as I appreciate what MS has done in the PC realm and the Xbox realm, I'm still sticking with my android phone until they can prove there's a reason to switch.

Well, e3 just concluded, did it seem like MS isn't dedicated to the future of Xbox? I'd say they certainly seemed as committed as usual, with lots of long term future plans (for example, announcing Gears 4 in 2016), Hololens etc.

Oh there's also this in the statement

Damn I hate corporate speak. Just bothers me :LOL:
I agree. They aren't getting rid of the Xbox One. That would make no sense at all coming off of a strong E3. I know Phil just did an interview talking about bringing games to PC, but he just said that he knows exclusives are the most important thing for the Xbox One at E3.

They just showed a new IP in Recore and Rare's Pirate game. They already gave us a glimpse at Gears 4. They even spent a lot of time and money to implement backwards compatibility.
They didn't do that just be cause they love their consumers. Also from what I heard it must have been difficult because it was thought impossible.

I firmly believe that the future of console gaming lies in streaming games to a generic PC in your living room, but we aren't there yet.

I agree. They aren't getting rid of the Xbox One. That would make no sense at all coming off of a strong E3. I know Phil just did an interview talking about bringing games to PC, but he just said that he knows exclusives are the most important thing for the Xbox One at E3.

They just showed a new IP in Recore and Rare's Pirate game. They already gave us a glimpse at Gears 4. They even spent a lot of time and money to implement backwards compatibility.
They didn't do that just be cause they love their consumers. Also from what I heard it must have been difficult because it was thought impossible.

I firmly believe that the future of console gaming lies in streaming games to a generic PC in your living room, but we aren't there yet.
It is releasing on PC and Xbox One..

Apps are not universal automatically. They have to be published separately. And often make changes to interface.

Not true with Windows 10 universal apps. It's one app package for all devices. But you'll have to customize the ui for devices it runs on, which isn't that much different from how things run on tablets and phones with different dimensions.

If you want to bring this into a Windows Phone VS Android VS iPhone I don't think the console forum is the correct venue.

I will say that as much as I am enjoying the integration of windows, MS will have to pull my Nexus out of my cold, dead hands in order to get it.

Google is just friggin awesome. For example, this morning my girlfriend sent me a text message and asked me "Where are you?". When I went to respond, it automatically came up with a text box that I could reply in - sure, but it also popped up another button I had never seen before that said "Share location". So I clicked on that, and instead of responding to her text via text, it sent her a google map GPS location of where I was.

How friggin cool is that?

I've never used a windows phone, but I've read reviews and whatnot and as much as I appreciate what MS has done in the PC realm and the Xbox realm, I'm still sticking with my android phone until they can prove there's a reason to switch.

I've used iPhone and android and I can't wait to jump ship and retry windows . I have anote 3 and performance is getting so slow at this point.

So what are the difficult decisions he's alluding to then?
I wondered that myself. The piece consists almost entirely of intra-organizational pep-talk. But that "difficult decisions" on the other hand implies that cuts will be made. This is internal communication after all. Where will the axe fall?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back