News & Rumors: Xbox One (codename Durango)

Status
Not open for further replies.
They will have an xbox one application that allows for full rebinds that takes place on the controller. It can store 2 different binding modes at the same time so you can easily switch between them within the flip of the switch and it happens transparently to the console. In their video they showan example of bindings for driving the warthog and then a different one for run and gun.

Yah, the binds are stored on the controller as well, so you can switch back and forth by flipping a switch. You don't need an app to switch bindings on the fly.

I wonder if the dpad will register all 8-ways correctly in PC? I modded my 360 controller way back to have 8-ways with perfect mapping on PC, but I used a pringle lid to build the top part of the buttons (no real 3D printers back then). ;) I later added a longer stick to the right thumb. Never did replace the pringle lid after all these years because it really just worked. :D

dpadpringle.jpg

100_3219.JPG

I used carbon rods to push the switches on the bottom layer of the board, so you can slightly see that through the pringle lid. Downside is one of the babies somehow got the center screw out while my wife was holding him, and all the rods went to the floor. :rolleyes:

Edit: Had Phil ever called me, we could have all had the awesomeness of the p-pad by now!! Wait...no that does not quite sound right? Pringle-pad might cause some lawsuits, or cool marketing choices. Oh well, thought I would share since we were on the new controller topic. I like the new pad that appears to let you get all 8-ways, so I just hope it works they way I think it works.

Speaking of controllers, there's some chatter that the IR sensor has been removed on the new controllers.

For those of us that use Kinect for all it's non-gaming wonderfulness, this is quite discouraging. This was the functionality that allowed Kinect to determine whose profile to use depending on who was holding the controller. Which was a really neat feature.

I wonder if the dpad will register all 8-ways correctly in PC? I modded my 360 controller way back to have 8-ways with perfect mapping on PC, but I used a pringle lid to build the top part of the buttons (no real 3D printers back then). ;) I later added a longer stick to the right thumb. Never did replace the pringle lid after all these years because it really just worked. :D

dpadpringle.jpg

100_3219.JPG

I used carbon rods to push the switches on the bottom layer of the board, so you can slightly see that through the pringle lid. Downside is one of the babies somehow got the center screw out while my wife was holding him, and all the rods went to the floor. :rolleyes:

Edit: Had Phil ever called me, we could have all had the awesomeness of the p-pad by now!! Wait...no that does not quite sound right? Pringle-pad might cause some lawsuits, or cool marketing choices. Oh well, thought I would share since we were on the new controller topic. I like the new pad that appears to let you get all 8-ways, so I just hope it works they way I think it works.

Yeah p-pad sounds like something Austin Powers would of called his condo.

Speaking of controllers, there's some chatter that the IR sensor has been removed on the new controllers.

For those of us that use Kinect for all it's non-gaming wonderfulness, this is quite discouraging. This was the functionality that allowed Kinect to determine whose profile to use depending on who was holding the controller. Which was a really neat feature.

I swear I saw the IR in the promo video they ran, I just poured a concrete pad for my shed so I am not going to go look now. Haha

Haha, neat. The preview program has "quests" you can take in order to do things to test the new features, one of them is playing a 360 game. There's obviously a limited selection, the only game I had on the list was Mass Effect.

It took 24 minutes to install, but after it did, I've spent the last 2 hours actually playing Mass Effect. Ha! It's pretty neat. There's no flaws at all so far, no lag, no stutter, no performance issues at all. To be quite honest (which is sad, but the truth), you really can't even tell that the game is that far apart graphically from the latest releases on the console. I'm sure if you did side by side screenshots or whatever, the quality difference would be obvious. But in terms of just loading it up and playing the game? Yeah, it looks just fine. Maybe when Mass Effect first game out it was awe-inspiring and now it just looks OK, and that's probably the case. But the difference in graphics aren't jarring as to remind you that 'this is a last gen game'.

Would seem pretty silly to lose Kinect tracking/pairing functionality over the cost of 2 LED's.
I think Kinect sales pretty much non existant now.
Console manufacturers save every penny. Xbox 360 E removed A/V port and still comes with composite cable on mini jack (!). And removed 1 usb port (though still exist inside chip).

PS3 got rid of several LEDs in later revisions. It seems they removed some in PS4 even. And PS logo silk-screening (just pressed now).

New Xbox One does not have painted logo on top and disc tray too.

Last edited:
There are IR LED's in the central part of the controller, either side of the USB port. No sensors that I am aware of.

Would seem pretty silly to lose Kinect tracking/pairing functionality over the cost of 2 LED's.

Yes, I'm inclined to agree.

If this is true it really does mean MS see no way back for Kinect, and have decided it will forever just be a Skype and voice control tool. The dream of Kinect integrated gaming will be finished. :(

Could it be they had aimed this more at the PC market and Pro player markets, so they wrongly assumed us Kinect snobs would not be upset? Not sure I am going to share it when I get one, so not really worried about it.

*Disclaimer - my Kinects are behind me due to the really short cable they come with...ARGH So I have never actually tested that feature out.

I find it hard to believe they would outright remove it right when it is going to be bundled with Oculus Rift which happens to use IR for tracking the headset as well as half moon controllers. Just doesn't compute. Maybe they just modified it to optimize it for Oculus?

2 Microsoft Hololens were lost in the SpaceX Falcon 9 NASA rocket explosion a few days ago.

http://www.theverge.com/2015/6/28/8858801/spacex-falcon-9-rocket-explosion-nasa

There was over 4,000 pounds of supplies, food, and science experiments inside the Dragon cargo ship that was affixed to the top of the rocket. Included with the experiments were two of Microsoft's HoloLens devices, which the astronauts were going to use to communicate with control room operators and to augment their tasks, all part of a test program called Sidekick.

It's more news that they were on board than that they exploded, I think.

Maybe not. Cargo may have jettisoned.
Some of the footage hints that the capsule detached from the rocket. However, it wouldn't have been a "natural" separation and a cargo launch may not have made provision for saving anything.
Perhaps if Hololense were specified to survive a drop of 45 kilometers and submersion to several thousand meters of seawater.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back