Batman Arkham Knight - with x86/GCN consoles, how come we're still getting terrible ports?

• Thread starter Deleted member 11852
  • Start date
Yes, but they were probably already overworked because managers needed a final revenue boost before the end of the fiscal year to appease stockholders ...

Probably. But I'd have to keep working. My pride in my work is greater than being too tired to put out a polished product.

E9AhPF8.jpg

Yes, but they were probably already overworked because managers needed a final revenue boost before the end of the fiscal year to appease stockholders ...
I mean, it's worth pointing out I think that while IG handled Origins on PC, the game itself had bugs across all platforms at launch, and the PC version didn't have graphics issues like missing post-effects or even a 30fps limit that we're seeing with AK. They even had enhanced graphics over the PS360 editions.

Something had to have gone wrong here on a fundamental level - scheduling or mismanagement etc.

E9AhPF8.jpg

I mean, it's worth pointing out I think that while IG handled Origins on PC, the game itself had bugs across all platforms at launch, and the PC version didn't have graphics issues like missing post-effects or even a 30fps limit that we're seeing with AK. They even had enhanced graphics over the PS360 editions.

Something had to have gone wrong here on a fundamental level - scheduling or mismanagement etc.

Or just a the realities of having to put out a bigger better looking more improved game on a tighter budget. Fewer man hour to get things done yet the demand from consumers to do even more than they did last time around. Beginning of a new console cycle, fewer consumers to buy the games. You'll find smart developers, generally smart managers, and decent systems start to break down when pushed past their limits. I'm sure anyone in this downsizing economy has experienced the stress of having to do too much on too little time, and not enough people to get it done smoothly.

Or just a the realities of having to put out a bigger better looking more improved game on a tighter budget. Fewer man hour to get things done yet the demand from consumers to do even more than they did last time around. Beginning of a new console cycle, fewer consumers to buy the games. You'll find smart developers, generally smart managers, and decent systems start to break down when pushed past their limits. I'm sure anyone in this downsizing economy has experienced the stress of having to do too much on too little time, and not enough people to get it done smoothly.

Yep. I would lump that into the scheduling category.

Sounds good on my next install I will completely fail and deliver an absolutely broken and useless product and if the customer asks why it sucks so much I will blame teh economies. When they ask why everyone else seems to be doing fine work I'll play the downsizing card or something. I'm sure they'll understand.

I would have rather they delay the pc port than what they did .

I see a lot of people requesting refunds via steam.

Yep. Not uncommon at all. However, I would rather delay a product and take the hit than to release unfinished software. Reputation means a lot in this industry.

Best thing they can do. They were/are at risk of becoming the new poster persons for screwing up a port. And there's also the risk of having the industry and media turn on them for risking their income stream. Pre-orders fuel development (the income stream is counted on), and they fuel advertising. Games like this are highly representative of the idea of a discretionary purchase. Part of what fuels these purchases is the idea of being part of a fun gaming sub-culture. You really don't want to mess with that psychology. nVidia might be considering saying/doing something as well.

I think they're smart enough to know how to turn this around and earn some respect. We'll see how deeply they choose to invest in that.

At least now I don't need to bother with purchasing season pass. When game get fixed, they will 99% make that season pass free.

For the record, 98% of the game runs just fine for me [and I have 2gb 270x]. But there are clear issues that need to be fixed, shame the game got to this point.

WTF is 2GB 270x ?

Edit lol I was stuck in NVIDIA mindset. 270x is AMD! :oops:

Last edited:
BTW NVIDIA will likely buttfuck WB for this. They spent at least a couple million to have this shite bundled with their GPUs.

At least now I don't need to bother with purchasing season pass. When game get fixed, they will 99% make that season pass free.

For the record, 98% of the game runs just fine for me [and I have 2gb 270x]. But there are clear issues that need to be fixed, shame the game got to this point.

I'm not having any FPS issues either but that's because i'm targeting 4k gaming. But it's a non-player without AO, missing textures and other things.

BTW NVIDIA will likely buttfuck WB for this. They spent at least a couple million to have this shite bundled with their GPUs.
Nvidia did add some load to the PC team by adding gameworks stuff.
Edit: According to this, enabling/disabling Nvidia features didn't affect performance. So they definitely try to make sure that the Nvidia stuff works.

Last edited:
Yep. Not uncommon at all. However, I would rather delay a product and take the hit than to release unfinished software. Reputation means a lot in this industry.
Delaying the game is not the devs call, it's not their game. They are under contract and if they want paying at all they have to deliver a game that at least runs.

If your choice is not delivering a game or delivering a compromised game and getting paid, I doubt many people would chose the former option. People have mortgages to pay and food to buy.

Sounds good on my next install I will completely fail and deliver an absolutely broken and useless product and if the customer asks why it sucks so much I will blame teh economies. When they ask why everyone else seems to be doing fine work I'll play the downsizing card or something. I'm sure they'll understand.
Yeah there is that element that someone high up made a terrible decision to not delay the pc port, and to patch later.

somebody said the game actually runs in DX10 instead of 11. Check it using DX overrider or something?
Many PC games still target DX10 to get a bit wider audience. Unfortunately this means that you cannot do all the things as efficiently as you can do with consoles. If the game ships on last gen consoles (Xbox 360 is DX10-), the PC might be a mix of current and last gen code. Creating two different PC versions is quite expensive.

In general, I believe we will see "bad" PC ports as long as DirectX 11 is used on PC. DirectX 11 on PC needs radically different resource management code compared to consoles to work right. Direct port is often not possible, since PC DirectX 11 has for example bad threading limitations regarding to resource modification. Runtime resource creation is super fast on consoles, while on PC you practically need to create your resources at level load time to avoid stalls. This often requires huge architectural changes to the code base (if done properly). This is likely where most developers cut the corners a bit. Even with big code changes it is highly driver dependent how your code works. Stalls are hard to avoid completely.

DirectX 12 will improve this situation a lot. I just hope that Windows 10 is popular enough to warrant developers to port their console game to DirectX 12 (instead of DirectX 11). Porting to both is expensive. DirectX 9 remained popular for a long time since DirectX 10 was limited to Windows Vista.

Back