Batman Arkham Knight - with x86/GCN consoles, how come we're still getting terrible ports?

• Thread starter Deleted member 11852
  • Start date
bad thing is even nvinspector can't save it with forced HBAO+ because the game is DX11. Best thing to do it recall all PC version and work on it for another month or so to "complete" it. Release it again with all the preorder contents and discounted price at that point. They probably have some explaining to do for nVidia, I am sure they didn't pay them for this god aweful port. Add more nVidia features like native HBAO+ support etc while they are fixing it.

And why would they ever recall the game when they can do the same, work on it, release the patch and call it a day?

Mass refund and barely working? Dunno. Don't think nVidia is happy with the way it runs on their Titan X either. Don't think they should be charging anyone a penny at current state.

I suppose they'll at least see just how many Steam folk will be refunding - lost sales . If it's sizable, then they ought to do something about it.

If it's not a lot of sales in the first place, well... I guess that's that. :|

I think that even more disgusting to me than yet another multiplatform disaster in today's brave new ultra-huge gaming industry with who knows how many bullshit business decisions happening, is the fact that even Beyond3D has little groupie gangs of console vs. PC people thumbs upping each other.

Would be cool for people to buy and do a refund just to show the publisher what they're missing out on. If/when the issues are fixed, wait for the game to be heavily discounted and buy it. It'd be some simple analysis for them to realize which buyers they lost out on by having a shit game.

Unfortunately, gamers are mainly talk and will bend over repeatedly for a game/franchise dear to them.

I feel like I'm stating the bleeding obvious here but it's easier to optimise for a console. :yep2: It is. :yep2: It just is. :yep2: Really. :yep2:

I'm probably going to regret typing this, but here we go :)

This isn't the reason why the new Batman is poop. The reason is that there is no governing body that will refuse a game that doesn't function properly on oc, so a publisher can ship anything they want and out it goes into the wild. On console this type of build would be refused, on pc it's not. The reason the pc version is poop is because it's incomplete, they didn't have time to finish it and decided to ship it anyways.

Now how do I know this with such certainty? There is a huge clue in all this, did anyone spot it? The clue is that the game doesn't even work right on current hardware. All game devs pretty much standardize on their hardware, usually a current Intel cpu with a current NVidia gpu. That's what they create the game on and that is where they will always see issues first. In this case they were probably using Intel quad core cpu's with NVidia 9xx gpus. The reason you know the games issues are not because of "pc compatibility" issues is because the game doesn't even work on current Intel and NVidia hardware. All devs, given that's the hardware they use, will have spotted the issues and normally would have not let it go out the door that way. What has most likely happened is that the game release date was locked perhaps on console and pc for marketing reasons or what have you, they didn't allocate enough resources to complete the pc version and the now exhausted and likely overly crunched coders had to ship the pc game incomplete under pressure from the publisher.

How much do devs/publisher factor in the mod-scene?

Basically modders already started to fix the game...for free basically. And PC gamers rely more and more on mods in the sense of fixes.

I sometimes fear devs/publishers using the modding-scene against the PC community to save money.

But I do wonder how even super strong PC configuration struggle according to people...should those PC beasts just thrust through all the unoptimized code without a sweat?

Edit: just checked again, super high end pc gamers seem to be ok with the performance.

Would be cool for people to buy and do a refund just to show the publisher what they're missing out on. If/when the issues are fixed, wait for the game to be heavily discounted and buy it. It'd be some simple analysis for them to realize which buyers they lost out on by having a shit game.

Unfortunately, gamers are mainly talk and will bend over repeatedly for a game/franchise dear to them.

That might just reinforce the pub's mindset instead of changing it. This is probably more of a product of apathy toward the PC market than the knowledge that PC gamers grudgingly accept such circumstances.

I belong to that race you stinking console peasant! :mad::mrgreen:

However, I must admit (sometimes) I do enjoy the uproar from the "PC Master Race" community when the tables are turned when receiving (received) bad ports.

PC gamers have a right to complain about a terrible port, just as console gamers do (and have). The real problem as sadly demonstrated in this thread is how some people, with complete disregard for the relative performance/quality of most other recent multiplatform games choose to take this admittedly terrible port as some kind of free pass to start flag waving about how much better consoles are than PC's. Fortunatley for the sake of the forum, that flag waving doesn't happen everytime one particular platform recieves a better version of a multiplatform game than the others.

PC gamers have a right to complain about a terrible port, just as console gamers do (and have). The real problem as sadly demonstrated in this thread is how some people, with complete disregard for the relative performance/quality of most other recent multiplatform games choose to take this admittedly terrible port as some kind of free pass to start flag waving about how much better consoles are than PC's. Fortunatley for the sake of the forum, that flag waving doesn't happen everytime one particular platform recieves a better version of a multiplatform game than the others.

I don't think people (console gamers) are doing it to be spiteful... just having some lighthearted fun with it. Sometimes mighty kings (PC users) need to be reminded once in awhile, that it may not be hardware related... but rather, developers can produce shitty ports across all platforms.

Once again, everyone just needs to lighten up... its a game, which more than likely will get patched. Until then, I will play GTA V and TW3 at 4K, with max settings, through the awesomeness PCs (high-end PCs) can provide.

I'm probably going to regret typing this, but here we go :)

I know, I was responding to DieH@rd. To restore the context in which my post was made, here it is:

Quite disappointing after PS4 managed to get such great optimization. Game is there rock solid 30fps with perfect framepaceing.
I feel like I'm stating the bleeding obvious here but it's easier to optimise for a console. :yep2: It is. :yep2: It just is. :yep2: Really. :yep2:

But I disagree with your absolute certainty that this only happens because there is no quality assurance body approving games on PC. Bad ports exist on consoles and they always have.

PC gamers have a right to complain about a terrible port, just as console gamers do (and have).

Absolutely right. My initial irritation with the complaints is there was a bunch of PC-specific complaints in the console games thread (again), which BRiT has since moved here. I game on all platforms and I'm sympathetic to shit ports which I've seen on every platform I game on.

Mostly I'm surprised at the surprise that another game will need a patch or two before it's up to par. With regard to AAA games this seems to be the norm rather than the exception so the surprise there are issues with the initial release perplex me. We've only just passed the gnashing of teeth phase with the Witcher 3 which had issues on all three platforms. Do people genuinely forget? Is there some form of mass memory loss associated with video gamers? :runaway:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back