News & Rumours: Playstation 4/ Orbis *spin*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got DNLA working with PS4/Windows; router problem.

Next problem is some streams buffer? I'm on wireless and the router is 5 years old so probably not fast enough??

I hope the Sony DLNA is voice controlled, as the xbox one dlna player is voice controlled. Its such a nice feature that you dont know you wanted until you dont have it. I prefer streaming my movies and tv shows through the console to get voice control instead of using my HTPC.

Voice control is awesome for doing fitness workouts like P90X3, getting in a break without having to find the remote or sweat all over it.

I use Emby for my streaming files via Dlna for XO and hear it works with PS4, but some reported Ps4 is glitchy in the Emby forums.

Next problem is some streams buffer? I'm on wireless and the router is 5 years old so probably not fast enough??
5 year old router can easily handle typical bitrates. Router's good for ~50 Mbps (ideal) minimum (802.11g, though you may even be 802.11n). Unless you have a very high bitrate, like a raw BluRay rip (which even then is likely ~20 Mbps), the router speed shouldn't be an issue. If you have problems streaming, it's likely the wireless connection quality or your router just being an ass. Router's like being asses.

Interference from other devices using the same band and such is also a thing. I think there are some nice apps out there that can help diagnose this.

Yep, hopefully they are going to improve the media center because it lacks a lot of important features (no subtitles, seriously?) and a lot of codecs aren't recognized. Do they need to buy a license for each different codecs (audio and video)?

Thanks for the heads up @orangpelupa, was not expecting the media player's subtitle support to be completely disabled unless you enable the closed captioning option that is buried under "accessibility" in PS4 system menu. Hopefully that doesn't have unwanted side effects in Netflix or other apps.

After enabling that, there is now a "CC" option in the media player though of the files I tried (7 or 8), only one actually worked.

Thanks for the heads up @orangpelupa, was not expecting the media player's subtitle support to be completely disabled unless you enable the closed captioning option that is buried under "accessibility" in PS4 system menu. Hopefully that doesn't have unwanted side effects in Netflix or other apps.

After enabling that, there is now a "CC" option in the media player though of the files I tried (7 or 8), only one actually worked.
Do all of them use srt subtitle? I assume it can only work with external subtitle file and not embedded sub (like srt in MKV)?

btw if you unplug a headset, PS4 will say "it is no longer a microphone to be able to be used blah blah blah".

any idea why they did not simply says "Mic Unplugged" ?

and says "PS Eye Mic is activated" if you have PS Eye.

PS3 did not. PS3 media server would transcode and render in subtitles for files with them. Does Xbox One do subtitles?
Subtitles work on PS3 when imbedded as an SRT in an AVI container. Someone made a PC app that did this pretty well. Whilst Xvid was still a useful codec this was an okay approach, but the move to X264 killed my use of this approach.

From what I've read, embedded sub doesn't work. Also if subtitle doesn't work using your current DLNA software, try another one. It might be because the DLNA software itself that won't acknowledge .srt. In Reddit people recommending Serviio.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back