Halo 5: Guardians [XO]

So yeah, it's going to be well, at LEAST 792P, probably 900P or 1360X1080.

I did read Star Wars Battlefront footage was counted as 900P on PS4, so maybe devs will start to go for a trend of lower res/more gfx. But barring that as pointed out on GAF, 60 FPS X1 shooters:

Titanfall 792P
BF4 and BFH 720p
COD AW 1360X1080 (up to 1080p)
Metro Redux 912p

I guess one could throw Cod:Ghosts in there, 720P (but AW looks much better/higher res)

Course imo Halo 5 looks better than any of those/more demanding. The other 700's could in theory be chalked up to early SDK's imo, except maybe BF:H.

So basically who knows.

The fact he says ALL aspects of IQ will be improved (and he capitalized the all not me) though is flat out saying resolution will be improved from E3, course we dont even know what E3 res is but seems to maybe be around 720P (and Stinkles could be referring to the 720P beta as well).

Last edited:
So, where are the amazing AI and the large scale battles?

In Warzone where they should be? :LOL:

No seriously though Halo campaigns have been following the FPS trend (although I guess gaming in general actually is going more and more open world) of more linear and less open, but they're still well more open than "most FPS". And obviously they only showed that bit of campaign at E3 though from which I'm sure the whole campaign is not like that, but it was pretty linear/scripted.

But really Warzone sounds like what you're looking for and thats pretty much all they've showed at E3. Much of the AI will be human so cant get more advanced than that.

Last edited:
I hope Warzone has some larger, more wide open maps with better sight lines. The map they demoed looked pretty claustrophobic. If you get in a vehicle you seem like you're always pinned with little room to maneuver, making it easy for enemies to jack you. Doesn't exactly seem like it would support fun vehicular combat.

And yeah, I'm worried that they didn't show any large scale game play. 12v12 ain't really a thing when everyone is fighting in a closet.

343 have address the linerarity issue directly in interviews, stating that the E3 demo was showcasing an action section, but most of the game is wide and open with multiple routes and approaches to encounters.

Most games, openworld or not, have directed action sections and these are usually the sections demo'd at show like this.

New vidoc!

He put up 2,3,4. Pretty neat look. Some spoilers in Part 2.

I did not make the connection between Atlas and that Sangheili hologram. I just thought it was ridiculous looking.

---

part 4 talked a bit about their sound and some bits about rendering load (on-screen stats).

One of the stats I think mentions the horizontal resolution, and it seems to be dynamic.

Last edited:
I hope Warzone has some larger, more wide open maps with better sight lines. The map they demoed looked pretty claustrophobic. If you get in a vehicle you seem like you're always pinned with little room to maneuver, making it easy for enemies to jack you. Doesn't exactly seem like it would support fun vehicular combat.

And yeah, I'm worried that they didn't show any large scale game play. 12v12 ain't really a thing when everyone is fighting in a closet.

Looks like some of you wishes will be fulfilled. From Ars

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2015/...ians-returns-to-online-multiplayer-relevance/

That's why Chief goes to the desert. He needs to comb it.

hqdefault.jpg

About the dynamic res, I dont believe I've ever played a game with dynamic res, but I hate the idea. It just bothers me. Just lock it somewhere....

About the dynamic res, I dont believe I've ever played a game with dynamic res, but I hate the idea. It just bothers me. Just lock it somewhere....

Never played Killzone Mercenaries on the Vita?

It would be foolish to lock the res at lowest setting for simple scenes when the most complex scenes happen less frequently. Dont hate dynamic res and learn to live with it.

I hate that more games dont use dynamic resolution. That way they could get better looking areas than they have now when able to.

As long as it's seamless and not to jarring a change, I'm good. Would be especially weird to go 480P to 1080p for ex.

I guess a good range would be 720p+ to 1080p.

Dynamic res is quite cool actually imo. I wish more games would use this to stabilize the framerate.

I just wonder about all other parts of the game engine. We often hear that the cpu is a severe bottleneck for 60hz and stuff like AI, physics etc etc....is it also possible to have a dynamic scaling in the complexity of those other game engine parts?

E.g. The more AI simultaneously on screen, the less complex the individual AI is?

Or the frequency of the physics update is scaleable?

As long as it's seamless and not to jarring a change, I'm good. Would be especially weird to go 480P to 1080p for ex.

I guess a good range would be 720p+ to 1080p.
The implementation has a pretty smooth ramp, so it might not be so obvious especially with effects work and camera movements going on.

---

That said, I'd rather find out more about their actual engine than just the resolution. :p

Back