Uncharted 4: A Thief's End [PS4]

Status
Not open for further replies.
1df1b252eb8c1fed9bce6aee8728cb28563b1ac8.jpg__1920x1080_q85_crop_upscale.jpg

edcc360ae15c7b3e59fb3485b9a2f69e1f6615a3.jpg__1920x1080_q85_crop_upscale.jpg

After looking at the UC4 walkthrough (again and again x100)... anyone have any opinions (clue) on the AA sampling being used? The IQ looks astonishing...

Descriptions of the Part 2 of the demo make it look like the ND has managed to successfully translate action of Mad Max Fury Road into the playable form.... with absolutely insane visuals. :D

I mostly agree with @PePePL remarks. They should have aimed for an improvement of TLOUR standards. Technically it's obviously a very competent demo on all accounts, probably the most impressive tech of E3. But I have being more impressed by Battlefront or by The Last Guardian which are both more realistic in their respective ways.

Also I still prefer the PSX demo which was more realistic IMO, less "cinematic cartoon" that this E3 demo (that oddly reminded me the Tintin cartoon, well animated movie, directed by Spielberg). I showed the video to my nephew, he wasn't impressed either (he was more impressed by the TLG video). When the demo got to the car scene, my nephew immediately said to me: Why is it so blurry when they turn? o_O

You can't invent this kind of anecdote.
Does your nephew go by the nickname Globalisateur, by any chance?

I think the "lack of that next gen look" is down to naughty dog being cocky about image clarity, and not as post processing happy as ready at dawn was with the order, and in part with how we slowly got somewhat used to the gradual improvements in graphical fidelity that came with each new game since this gen started. I think he'd be surprised by how simple U3 looked if he had it and U4 side by side. Maybe their emphasis on hand painted textures might make their assets not look as PBRish as other games that went heads first into photometry and all. I was admittedly underwhelmed with the first demo, but very happy with the overall direction now. Nice to see SSR in there, although ps3 uncharteds had fully rasterized planar relfections for water, so it might be a downgrade... Anyway, I'm very happy with the emphasis they've put on environmental interactivity, and impressed they could have pulled that much variety and density off. An achievement in from both the runtime and production side. I'm only a little sad that ND is already cutting some corners, first with 30fps campaign, then no MSAA, and they even hint at the possibility of not hitting that 60fps for MP... Jeez, they might have over-shoot a little I guess.

With regards to tin-tin, I also thoug there was a lot of it in that uncharted demo.

Its indeed a great source of inspiration for an uncharted type game, and I'm sure ND takes some of their ideas from it. Imagine how exiting would be a game in which you could play through that scene!

I think the "lack of that next gen look" is down to naughty dog being cocky about image clarity, and not as post processing happy as ready at dawn was with the order, and in part with how we slowly got somewhat used to the gradual improvements in graphical fidelity that came with each new game since this gen started. I think he'd be surprised by how simple U3 looked if he had it and U4 side by side. Maybe their emphasis on hand painted textures might make their assets not look as PBRish as other games that went heads first into photometry and all. I was admittedly underwhelmed with the first demo, but very happy with the overall direction now. Nice to see SSR in there, although ps3 uncharteds had fully rasterized planar relfections for water, so it might be a downgrade... Anyway, I'm very happy with the emphasis they've put on environmental interactivity, and impressed they could have pulled that much variety and density off. An achievement in from both the runtime and production side. I'm only a little sad that ND is already cutting some corners, first with 30fps campaign, then no MSAA, and they even hint at the possibility of not hitting that 60fps for MP... Jeez, they might have over-shoot a little I guess.

With regards to tin-tin, I also thoug there was a lot of it in that uncharted demo.

Its indeed a great source of inspiration for an uncharted type game, and I'm sure ND takes some of their ideas from it. Imagine how exiting would be a game in which you could play through that scene!

The new Uncharted video is great. I think the visual are on par with The Order 1886 but better draw distance, better physics, level more open, the city is full of life and not empty like the city in the order.

Yeah, that recent Tintin film was the first thing I thought of when viewing the chase scene.

After watching that video which picks out all the details, I think this is easily the most impressive showing of E3.

Even compared to stuff like Horizon, ND's investment into animation is really paying off and differing them from their competitors. As good as a game like Horizon may look, the occasionally stiff and awkward animations immediately detract from the verisimilitude of the world the game is simulating (and therefore, the game's immersiveness).

You might have PBR, global illumination, tesselation etc but animation is definitely an area where game studios are under investing in so kudos for ND to focus on this (things like Nate kicking away objects near to his feet showcases the incredible nuance they're aiming for).

Last edited:
Finally we have again an interactive world, where objects react to the actions of the player and the world itself, i.e. destruction...and some people can only complain!?!

Shame on you! Makes an ol gamer cry :cry:

PS: imo, 60Hz is impossible on this machines with those lame ass cpu's when so much physics and animation is going on!

PPS: we have so many 60hz games, we have so many 30hz games with extra graphics bling...but we don't have an UC4 action game with all those physics going on yet imo...diversity people diversity!!

Even compared to stuff like Horizon, ND's investment into animation is really paying off and differing them from their competitors. As good as a game like Horizon may look, the occasionally stiff and awkward animations immediately detract from the verisimilitude of the world the game is simulating (and therefore, the game's immersiveness).

The animations are impressive but I think that those are micro details that detract less from the experience then, let's say, the lack of interactivity or the unaggressive AI, or the invisible walls.

You might have PBR, global illumination, tesselation etc but animation is definitely an area where game studios are under investing in so kudos for ND to focus on this (things like Nate kicking away objects near to his feet showcases the incredible nuance they're aiming for).

That attention to detail is admirable but on the other hand we won't be able to grab objects next to us and throw them.
ND is certainly pushing for the show and is adding a lot of detail in things that we players can't control but is not pushing for true interactivity and to me it feels like a wasted opportunity to me...but maybe they can't go that way yet due to tech limitations.

Last edited:
lol, I can't believe people are complaining/knocking this back - I think it looks amazing and let's remember - this is their first game (remember Uncharted 1 to Uncharted 2 leap?).

After looking at the UC4 walkthrough (again and again x100)... anyone have any opinions (clue) on the AA sampling being used? The IQ looks astonishing...

They might use some kind of temporal AA but as almost everything is per-object motion blurred ad nauseam, it's hard to say. I hadn't even read Timothy Lottes tweet about it, so TAA it might must be.

Does your nephew go by the nickname Globalisateur, by any chance?

Well, no. He is blissfully ignorant of all of those technical considerations.

The new Uncharted video is great. I think the visual are on par with The Order 1886 but better draw distance, better physics, level more open, the city is full of life and not empty like the city in the order.

I think The Order: 1886 is actually (much) more beautifully rendered and artistically well put together, with better acting than most popular crime TV series, BUT that is a stale world with hardly anything happening in it, with extremely limited gameplay interaction. I still loved it, but it's not something your'e going to want to replay, and you're not going to discover much beyond that initial look. Uncharted 4's world on the other hand is incredibly detailed and full of freedom of movement and interaction between players and environment/NPCs. It has kept the style of Uncharted really well, and it has taken the best that Uncharted can look on the PS3 while crawling through an environment with very limited field of view, and made that renderable at huge draw distances while driving through it at very high speed, and then with enormous physics improvements and various other improved effects.

By the way, I was right about the car scene - you are free to choose your path while driving, that enemy will hunt you down whereever you go, was confirmed in an IGN Live interview with someone from ND (just heard him say it while watching that video).

Also, this is apparently only half of the show floor demo, with the other half getting crazier still. Will be interesting to see if we get to see the rest sometime online. Also he said the release will be Spring 2016, but we knew that already. Thankfully the MP beta is sooner, and I'll be sure to be a part of that, I've always loved those for the previous Uncharted's, so much fun.

i was like WHAT did that guy tweeted? silly guy. Then i feel i have known his name somewhere. Then i googled. then BAM!

he's the one making FXAA!!!

on the other han i still dont understand the AA he mentioned at all lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back